rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

I find the moments of beauty and wonder (eg.giraffes, fireflies) in the first game are far more impactful and meaningful after you've been through hell and back.

I expect Naughty Dog aren't going to show moments like that in pre-release material and I do believe they will be in the sequel to contrast the dark, violent, grim reality of it all.

• Upvote 3

On the first games ending...

Spoiler

There is a moment, a tiny moment right at the end where Joel pauses to look at Ellie and its almost like the entire game has been building toward this moment. For me it was incredibly emotional, but not in a touching 'that's really heart-warming' kind of way. That shot is Joel looking at Ellie and telling himself 'fuck the world, fuck anyone else, fuck a cure, fuck everything, I will die before I let anyone take you from my life'. Its beautiful and selfish and quite grim but its just so fucking real. 

I've not re-played the game since I became a Dad (my boy is 3 next month) but I'm pretty sure that while that ending and what I took from it really resonated with me, playing it now is just going to absolutely cement everything that I think they were going for. And I'm not even going to ponder what the impact of the opening is going to be like.

I am starting a replay this weekend in preparation for next month and I cant remember when I last looked forward to a game this much.

• Upvote 4

The first game was also gorgeous in many places. All those areas nature was reclaiming. It had a very bright colour palette. 

4 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

On the first games ending...

Hide contents

There is a moment, a tiny moment right at the end where Joel pauses to look at Ellie and its almost like the entire game has been building toward this moment. For me it was incredibly emotional, but not in a touching 'that's really heart-warming' kind of way. That shot is Joel looking at Ellie and telling himself 'fuck the world, fuck anyone else, fuck a cure, fuck everything, I will die before I let anyone take you from my life'. Its beautiful and selfish and quite grim but its just so fucking real. 

I've not re-played the game since I became a Dad (my boy is 3 next month) but I'm pretty sure that while that ending and what I took from it really resonated with me, playing it now is just going to absolutely cement everything that I think they were going for. And I'm not even going to ponder what the impact of the opening is going to be like.

I am starting a replay this weekend in preparation for next month and I cant remember when I last looked forward to a game this much.

I played this again after the birth of my first child,and cried even more at the start of the first,it gets me every time:lol:

• Upvote 1

Is there a noticeable different between the version of the first game available to stream on PS Now and the remaster? It’s a 3rd replay so not overly fussed about finer details but happy to pay a little for the remaster digital if it’s worth it.

Remaster is 60 fps and smooth as butter. Remaster also has the DLC - which technically is not DLC as it is its own stand alone game - included.

9 minutes ago, df0 said:

Remaster is 60 fps and smooth as butter. Remaster also has the DLC - which technically is not DLC as it is its own stand alone game - included.

Cheers man. I had the physical version when it first came out but gave it to my brother ages ago. Sounds like it’s worth the few quid so will grab that tonight, nice one.

The Remaster offers the choice between 60fps and 30 fps and I honestly cannot remember if there's any difference besides the frames per second. Perhaps the resolution is lowered from 4k to 1080, bu you should ask google that. Or try it out for yourself, I'm sure the game tells you in the Options.

edit: I just checked in game. The Remaster supports HDR and the following options:

- Solid 60 fps @ 1080p

- Target 60 fps @ 1800p

- Solid 30 fps @ 2160 (4k)

The DLC is fantastic by the way, well worth the price of admission.

• Upvote 2

All this talk has got me really in the mood for playing through the remaster again. Is there anything different other than the nicer visuals? In any case I played Last of Us years ago, so will have forgotten the entire game anyway.

I think I'll join you, never finished it on the highest difficulty.

I already am not looking forward to some sections :omg:

• Upvote 1

To my shame I have never played the DLC so that is a bit of a treat ahead of next month :)

30 minutes ago, df0 said:

That's some next, next, next, next-gen shit going on there!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

060EA0B9-9164-4BC1-B796-8B3C9E3323ED.thumb.jpeg.3bf08f9950d3bed0b6834061a746ccdb.jpeg

How many survivors are you going to watch howling in agony as they cradle the twisted body of their only companion, if it’s the first thing in the features list?

Edit - This has been confirmed to be a retailer’s promo email (I had assumed it wasn’t the game dev).

I remember ND talking about this late last year. 

Polygon thing about dogs in TLOU2

Don't click if you don't want to know too much.

14 minutes ago, kempstar said:

All this talk has got me really in the mood for playing through the remaster again. Is there anything different other than the nicer visuals? In any case I played Last of Us years ago, so will have forgotten the entire game anyway.

I tried to play it a couple of weeks ago and the biggest difference I noticed is that there is a worldwide pandemic at the moment and it was really not the kind of escapism I was hoping for :(

• Upvote 1

I edited my post above, but post it here as well. The Remaster supports HDR and the following options:

- Solid 60 fps @ 1080p

- Target 60 fps @ 1800p

When the Remaster launched, I played it at Solid 60 fps @ 1080p and that felt good. I do not know how often the Target 60 fps option dips below 60.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I tried to play it a couple of weeks ago and the biggest difference I noticed is that there is a worldwide pandemic at the moment and it was really not the kind of escapism I was hoping for :(

I've been playing through Day's Gone during lockdown and it's been strangely comforting - things could be so much worse.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, df0 said:

I edited my post above, but post it here as well. The Remaster supports HDR and the following options:

- Solid 60 fps @ 1080p

- Target 60 fps @ 1800p

When the Remaster launched, I played it at Solid 60 fps @ 1080p and that felt good. I do not know how often the Target 60 fps option dips below 60.

do you need a PS4 pro for all that?

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

060EA0B9-9164-4BC1-B796-8B3C9E3323ED.thumb.jpeg.3bf08f9950d3bed0b6834061a746ccdb.jpeg

How many survivors are you going to watch howling in agony as they cradle the twisted body of their only companion, if it’s the first thing in the features list?

Edit - This has been confirmed to be a retailer’s promo email (I had assumed it wasn’t the game dev).

That sounds like a really irritating mechanic. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Now I can only imagine the game as an endless dog-battle horde mode accompanied by relentless howling of owners in 360 degree surround sound - think someone sitting on a Yamaha keyboard that can only play the sound of the Rick Flair Craite Dragon Call from the Star Wars Blu Ray release.

Preordered.

• Upvote 4

I did it after Xmas before they moved the release date and thoroughly enjoyed it again along with the dlc I never got round to. Stuck it on hard or grounded, can't remember which. Still and just a stone cold classic. Fantastic in every way. 

• Upvote 1

Yep replayed the original a few weeks ago too in prep for the sequel. It’s still a phenomenal game. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Think a fresh play through is In order too!

You looking forward to the sequel dude? 

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

You looking forward to the sequel dude? 

I really am,  you?

I'm sure it will be a phenomenal game, but just hope it isn't all too depressing. Maybe I should get Animal Crossing to balance it out :lol:

I have bought Remastered and I think I am looking forward to replaying this as I am the sequel! 

I almost cannot compute the possibility that the sequel could be better than the first.

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2020 at 12:40, petrolgirls said:

I've been playing through Day's Gone during lockdown and it's been strangely comforting - things could be so much worse.

haha I think when I was playing it a few weeks ago it felt a like things could get worse real soon.

I’m just finishing FF7 and will be trying again in the buildup to Part 2. 

12 hours ago, Dave White said:

I really am,  you?

I'm sure it will be a phenomenal game, but just hope it isn't all too depressing. Maybe I should get Animal Crossing to balance it out :lol:

Yes really looking forward to it but also feel the same with all that’s going on at the moment. In saying that I have Animal Crossing and whilst I love it I find selling my turnips at the right price a bit of an obsession and also quite stressful :lol:

Just finished a replay of the first game. There's some things in the game that are relevant to now, like newspaper articles with the headline "UK CEASES IMMIGRATION". 

Hell of a game, think I'll leave a replay of the DLC until nearer the time this is out.