rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

1 hour ago, CGB said:

I had this partially spoiled again for me the other day so I gave in and went through and read everything about it, as it seems pointless trying to avoid them now. 

I feel completely relieved to be honest and I'm now even more excited to play it.

I'll absolutely not say anything about the leaks here but below are just some brief spoilered thoughts on the internet's reaction to them. 

Reveal hidden contents

As I suspected the complete overreaction to these leaks comes from a very bigoted place. If you search for TLOU2 on YouTube you'll be faced with a long list of how ND has ruined gaming, calls to boycott the game, etc. I thought "oh no...have ND gone with an 'it was all a dream ending' or something".

Nah, it's just gaming's alt-right being absolutely awful again. That Angry Joe video is pure cringe, but then there's nothing new there I guess. 

This game is gonna be incredible. 

NOT TODAY SATAN

I have the toughest time not opening spoiler tags, even for stuff that I'm dying to see and really don't want spoiled. Managed to refrain this time and won't be back in this thread until well after release.

• Upvote 3

Yeh, what's with everyone banging on about spoilers again? Just ignore it, avert your eyes if needs be and wait it out, please.

I agree. I’ve just finished Winter, and this game is still just astonishing. 

atmosphere, momentum, Wright of movement, tone - they’ve nailed the lot. 

cannot. Wait. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, joemul said:

I agree. I’ve just finished Winter, and this game is still just astonishing. 

atmosphere, momentum, Wright of movement, tone - they’ve nailed the lot. 

cannot. Wait. 

4904.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

• Upvote 7

For anyone interested Game have the special edition in stock for £159.99. That might seem obscene but the statue from the last one goes for £600+ alone. You could buy this, flog the statue on ebay and get the game for free or at a profit, if you're willing to put in the effort.

That was great. I am so pumped for the 19th!

Edge’s Feel Better issue was all very well but it’s great to get back to some relentless grimdark murderising.

• Upvote 1

Kept away from all shit talking and spoiliers until that video and glad I did.  It looks incredible.  I only watched the first 2 mins of the new gameplay footage and that was enough.  

Spoiler

Nice nod to Vita and Hotline Miami

That does look lovely. Think I’ll start saving my pocket money. 

Unless someone tells me there's at least something like a happy-ish ending to it, then I seriously doubt I’m going to have the stones to get through it. 

The game looks fantastic, but equally it looks like it’s going to be utterly draining from an emotional standpoint.

I’m not entirely sure I want that sort of thing at the moment!

Edit: I probably shouldn’t expect anything remotely happy to how it ans out considering the wringer I went through with the first game, but there we go.

Clearly I’ll still buy it as soon as it comes out ;)

• Empathy 1

I do think it looks terrific. Never played the first one but was left utterly cold by Uncharted 4. If there's anyone who bounced off that but loved TLoU then I'm all ears for the hard sell.

Ooffff. I've steered clear of everything since the very first trailers way back when. I flicked and saw about twenty seconds of melee combat. Jesus Christ. This looks hardcore. Wow. That'll do me for now.

I forgot how brutal the original was until I went back the other day. I got rushed in some house and ended up smashing some dude's face in with a brick and putting a machete in another guy's neck. Then I shot some other lad in the knee, grabbed him and brained him on a bannister. I haven't played anything so bluntly violent in a long time. The sequel makes it look pretty tame, though!

7 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I do think it looks terrific. Never played the first one but was left utterly cold by Uncharted 4. If there's anyone who bounced off that but loved TLoU then I'm all ears for the hard sell.

I really think that whatever happens in the sequel, it will lean hard on knowledge of the first game. I know that's an inane observation but if I were you, I'd play the original first. 

It's not got much in common with Uncharted. It's got strong lead characters and plenty of emotional depth and nuance. The gameplay tends towards cover shooty stealth but it's actually very satisfying and there's always plenty of room for adapting and improvising. It's not MGSV, but it's considerably stronger combat than Uncharted. It's also very violent and weighty. Even for a PS3 game, the Remaster looks pretty good and definitely holds up. It's familiar but very well executed. The acting and writing are a cut above anything besides RDR2. 

• Upvote 1

I, like a few others, have been replaying The Last Of Us over the last week or so on the Pro. I haven’t played it since the PS3 version and I remember being really impressed with it.

However on this second play through I am BLOWN away by it - as both an envelope-pushing creative endeavour, and as a game. It’s absolutely stunning and I think might be in my all time top three favourite games (Half Life 2 being at the top). The realisation of the world and the gameplay in it - is text book great. Almost goes without saying with Naughty Dog. 

But what really got to me is I think this game has the best written and performed video game characters of all time. And could easily stand against any top Indy film or TV drama. I actually really deeply care about Elly. And I care Joel. And their burgeoning relationship - which is filled with grief and genuine drama. I have never done that before in a game - and the way naughty Dog have worked that into the gameplay is a thing of beauty.

I think The Last Of Us is a masterpiece and the best use of drama in a game to date. And this is on a PS3! I cannot wait to see what Part 2 brings later this month.

• Upvote 2

Sorry skimmed last few pages  - anyone know the current cheapest you can buy this for? Everywhere seems to be £48+

That looks utterly amazeballs and so bloody good. That last, new gameplay section at the end. :wub:

I really cannot wait. 22 days and counting... 

10 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I don't know if I'd say that Uncharted 4 left me cold but it did leave me disappointed. The combat actually had more elements to it than any previous entry but the yarn it span was flabby, overlong and self-indulgent. It's roughly as long as The Last Of Us but with far less to take away from it.

The Last Of Us is a better game in every single important aspect. Only place Uncharted 4 trumps it is graphically, being a newer game and all. It's a 10/10 game vs a 6/10 game. Give it a go.

9 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I, like a few others, have been replaying The Last Of Us over the last week or so on the Pro. I haven’t played it since the PS3 version and I remember being really impressed with it.

However on this second play through I am BLOWN away by it - as both an envelope-pushing creative endeavour, and as a game. It’s absolutely stunning and I think might be in my all time top three favourite games (Half Life 2 being at the top). The realisation of the world and the gameplay in it - is text book great. Almost goes without saying with Naughty Dog. 

But what really got to me is I think this game has the best written and performed video game characters of all time. And could easily stand against any top Indy film or TV drama. I actually really deeply care about Elly. And I care Joel. And their burgeoning relationship - which is filled with grief and genuine drama. I have never done that before in a game - and the way naughty Dog have worked that into the gameplay is a thing of beauty.

I think The Last Of Us is a masterpiece and the best use of drama in a game to date. And this is on a PS3! I cannot wait to see what Part 2 brings later this month.

I was having a conversation about TLoU with a good friend some years back, and the thing we were in total agreement on is that the pacing is just so goddamn good. Get past the ropey intro in the city and then there's just this continuously smooth ride of heated action setpieces and slower, character-driven exploration. Bill's Town, Ish's sewers and subsequent neighbourhood, the Dam, horseback riding, the University, all of Winter, it's this near-unparalleled succession of scenarios that ramp up the tension before quickly bringing it back down to earth (until the next one...). I especially love it as it gives you good moments to be able to put the game aside and treat them like 'levels', while still transitioning smoothly enough to make continuous play feel natural.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I rate TLOU as the best game of it's type of the 360/PS3 generation. Haven't played UC4 but found UC2 to be a case of some good set pieces interspersed by horrible shooting sections. TLOU has a story that keeps you engaged throughout. It's so well written compared to 99% of games and the combat is thrilling and satisfying. 

• Upvote 2