rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

2 hours ago, three1ne said:

I've avoided quite a lot of chat and videos about this on purpose so forgive me if this has been answered or shown recently but is there a noticeable improvement over PS4 and the Pro version?

I've got standard ps4 and would seriously consider a Pro if it was worthwhile.

Naughty Dog Games have all been fantastic in the base system. I think the only improvement on pro in the past was a higher res of 1440p over 1080p on the base. 

2 hours ago, Fargo said:

Naughty Dog Games have all been fantastic in the base system. I think the only improvement on pro in the past was a higher res of 1440p over 1080p on the base. 

2560×1440 resolution max, choice between 60fps at 1800p resolution or 30fps at 2160p, HDR support.

11 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

2560×1440 resolution max, choice between 60fps at 1800p resolution or 30fps at 2160p, HDR support.

That was just for the remaster of the first game. The PS4 uncharted games just had the higher res. I’d imagine this will be the same. 

4 hours ago, barkbat said:

I know the brutality is by design (and brilliantly done). I've played through the first game multiple times. Maybe I'm getting old but something didn't sit right with me in that video. In particular the sequence where Ellie knifes the young Asian girl in the throat, which is unbelievably visceral and hard to watch but in the context, tonally perfect, and then the rampage of uber violence that involves her saying the 80's action hero one-liner 'just like that' as she arrows some guy in the head. It created a tonal dissonance for me that made the later slaughter seem psychotic and wanton and throwaway. It's a weird and instinctive feeling - but it doesn't sit right with me. You can have the later (which largely fits the first game) but then you can't have the former (the intensely personal death). Perhaps it's nothing and I just haven't been playing violent video games enough recently - but the intimacy of the first type of death sits poorly with the mass carnage of the later part. It's very similar to what happened with Uncharted - this feeling of deeper characterisation getting in the way of ultra-violent mechanics.

I've felt this way about most of the marketing to be honest, and I'm not squeamish. I own a whole bunch of Fulci films, for example. But everything I've seen gives me the impression they've misjudged this.

Making a game where you're supposed to be horrified by the violence you're committing is one thing, Manhunt and the original TLoU did that well. But selling a supposedly mature game, the heir apparent for narrative storytelling in this medium, with a trailer montage of canned visceral murder animations you can perform just feels juvenile. I'll reserve judgement until I've played it with proper context but it's been marketed like an arthouse version of No Russian.

19 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I've felt this way about most of the marketing to be honest, and I'm not squeamish. I own a whole bunch of Fulci films, for example. But everything I've seen gives me the impression they've misjudged this.

Making a game where you're supposed to be horrified by the violence you're committing is one thing, Manhunt and the original TLoU did that well. But selling a supposedly mature game, the heir apparent for narrative storytelling in this medium, with a trailer montage of canned visceral murder animations you can perform just feels juvenile. I'll reserve judgement until I've played it with proper context but it's been marketed like an arthouse version of No Russian.

They did the same thing with the original TLoU, but this year COVID-19 has spared us excited Americans whooping at a montage of videogame murders at E3.

18 hours ago, Uzi said:

Sorry skimmed last few pages  - anyone know the current cheapest you can buy this for? Everywhere seems to be £48+

Cheapest I could find is 44.99 by collecting from Smyths. My local store has a decent click and collect system in place, although I guess the actual store will be open in a couple of weeks.

Much happier collecting rather than relying on the post at the moment. Will probably sell it on after finishing (no doubt I’ll buy it again on the PS5), so don’t want to go digital.

• Upvote 1

Just realised that this is the first physical copy of a game I've preordered in years. Due to financial issues (usually I just wait and buy in sales), being too busy or lack of interest I haven't bought a game on day one since Skyrim I think, and that was digital. I genuinely think the last time I've been expecting a physical copy of a game through my door on launch day was The Wind Waker! I'm so excited and feel like a kid again. 

• Upvote 2

£47.85 from Base.com is the best I can find for delivery, time to hit the big preorder button?

12 hours ago, teddymeow said:

I cannot believe that TLOU2 is running on .a PS4 Pro

Have you not played anything this generation?

• Empathy 1

I just bought digital (as I can’t be fucked loading Blu-ray these days).  I just assumed the upgraded ps5 version would be an update not a whole new thing (ala TLOU remastered For PS4). I don’t really want to buy it again.

Have Naughty Dog commented on the PS5 version atall?

I don't think they've even acknowledged that there will actually be a PS5 version yet. 

Yeah, I went digital using the recent ShopTo PS Top Ups deal. Got this a Ghost for about £47 each.

As PS5 is sort of the same architecture as PS4 - I assume it will just be an enhanced version to fill out the PS5’s launch line up... so essentially an update? Same with Ghost...

These are Sony’s big teams so they must have been working with the PS5 alongside the PS4 versions??? Or you’d think they would be..

10 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Have you not played anything this generation?

Of course but even recent stuff like Days Gone (which looks great) is still missing something compared to this.

No way I'm waiting till then! A replay on the other hand...

10 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

But will it have improvements?

How do you improve on perfection?

Spoiler

:hat:

13 minutes ago, AI1 said:

How do you improve on perfection?

Hide contents

:hat:

60fps. That's all. Everything else looks spiffy.

I prefer 12fps with lashings of motion blur. More cinematic.

I pity the reviewers for this.

Imagine if it really is just as bleak, miserable, desperate and soul-destroying a meditation on dog and people murder as it looks. And in this current climate you look at what the world is becoming in real-time, and you look at the upturned faces of your young family, and you know you just hated every minute, and would rather have been playing anything else, or at least have been out in the bright light while it lasts...

Then you have to do this:

“Brutal and beautiful, not for the faint of heart, but improves on the original in every way: 94%.“

Cos if you don’t, all your hardcore peers will point and laugh at you, and those readers with well thumbed, limited edition Ellie statues will dox you.

#prayforthereviewers

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 3

I don't know. It's kinda cathartic to play something that is set in a world even worse than ours. At least for me. I returned to Bloodborne, which is a relentlessly bleak game.

21 hours ago, jonamok said:

I pity the reviewers for this.

Imagine if it really is just as bleak, miserable, desperate and soul-destroying a meditation on dog and people murder as it looks. And in this current climate you look at what the world is becoming in real-time, and you look at the upturned faces of your young family, and you know you just hated every minute, and would rather have been playing anything else, or at least have been out in the bright light while it lasts...

Then you have to do this:

“Brutal and beautiful, not for the faint of heart, but improves on the original in every way: 94%.“

Cos if you don’t, all your hardcore peers will point and laugh at you, and those readers with well thumbed, limited edition Ellie statues will dox you.

#prayforthereviewers

Let’s go judge this game before playing it. :seanr:

The first game is extremely bleak, but very well judged in its tone. And condemning it’s sequel (based on a few out of context clips) is pretty Mary Whitehouse out of ten.

• Upvote 1

Up to Bill's after starting a new playthrough of Remastered last night.

Had to tinker with TV brightness as it looked a bit grey in the night scenes.

The dialogue between characters is still wonderfully natural despite the years that have passed and numerous narrative games that have launched in that time.

Clickers still shit me up too!!

• Upvote 1

Be cautious apparantly spoilers of this are being linked online following a naughty dawg hack 

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, carlospie said:

Be cautious apparantly spoilers of this are being linked online following a naughty dawg hack 

Did you just get back on earth? :P

• Upvote 8

Posted this in the wrong thread.

There are multiple previews out and it all sounds pretty stellar.

• Upvote 1