rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

16 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

eSmOLT8.jpg

"4/10 - SHIT AND WE HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET - RLLMUK FORUM" 

Who the hell are most of these outlets? This doesn't feel like a very credible way of defending the game especially when the likes of established sites like Gamespot are extremely lukewarm about it and begrudgingly offering up a tepid 8/10.

The hype machine has certainly done its job with this one.

43 minutes ago, Treble said:

My hot take: you could easily make a TloU sequel with fewer human kills and a greater number of whatever-the-frig-they-call-zombies-in-this-universe. And not lose anything in the telling. 

I think so. The zombie fights are often more tense and exciting anyway.

It could be argued that it would get repetitive, but then this game could benefit from some trimming, so you wouldn't need to add anything. Just leave some of the human battles out. It would make the whole experience tighter, stop the themes becoming too laboured, support the themes re violence rather than undermine them, and avoid having to exhaust employees. 

• Upvote 1

Buddy_I_will_shoot_you_in_the_face.jpg

Be interesting to see the reaction to a game like Max Payne 3 nowadays. Nobody gave a shit back in 2012 that this bloke shoots half of brazil in slow motion with user controlled slow mo cams. Strong forum favourite, too.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Who the hell are most of these outlets? This doesn't feel like a very credible way of defending the game especially when the likes of established sites like Gamespot are extremely lukewarm about it and begrudgingly offering up a tepid 8/10.

Here you go mate, there's 83 reviews you can disagree with here

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-part-ii?ref=hp

Shut it you, I get all my gaming news from CogConnected, the Daily Star, Financial Post, and Financial Post again.

• Upvote 4

One of those 5 stars is mine, and I stand by it. FWIW, I wasn't a big fan of the original and was sceptical about this. And as you can see here, I certainly have issues with it.

But for me it really is quite a big step up from the original and an even bigger step up from Uncharted 4 in gameplay terms. It's still very much a Naughty Dog game, but it does a lot to smooth off the rough edges and adds in more variety. It's a much more impressive experience than I was expecting.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

Be interesting to see the reaction to a game like Max Payne 3 nowadays. Nobody gave a shit back in 2012 that this bloke shoots half of brazil in slow motion with user controlled slow mo cams.

Forum would mad for a max Payne 3 remaster.

• Upvote 2

I want to reiterate- I am hyped about this game! I will play it! I will enjoy it! I will kill many dogs! I will then argue at length about how we need to move past killing 3000 people and 170 dogs as a game mechanic if we want anyone to take games seriously as a storytelling medium.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I want to reiterate- I am hyped about this game! I will play it! I will enjoy it! I will kill many dogs! I will then argue at length about how we need to move past killing 3000 people and 170 dogs as a game mechanic if we want anyone to take games seriously as a storytelling medium.

Why do you want people that don’t think it already is to take games seriously as a story telling medium? 

Ive always loved Halo CE basically for the unscripted stuff the ai does, especially when you buddy up with the marines. Every play through offers something different based on encounters and how they play out. Im hoping this really offers some amazing battles that never play out the same.

So want to watch the reviews... holding out

• Upvote 1

I copped some shit earlier for saying that games should be reviewed on the quality of the gameplay foremost rather than the story. Then I think about this gen's most beloved game - Bloodborne - and you swing an axe larger than a typical london flat around for 90 hours destroying every man, beast and ceramic pot in sight with a story that would trouble a postage stamp. And that's fine because it's awesome.

15 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Here you go mate, there's 83 reviews you can disagree with here

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-of-us-part-ii?ref=hp

This just proves the point, though. 10/10 from nobody sites like GRYOnline.pl, Comicbook.com, Malditos Nerds and I'm not even making these up.

Then you scroll down the page and see quotes like this from Vice:

"The Last of Us Part II' Is a Grim and Bloody Spectacle, but a Poor Sequel"

Or this from Kotaku:

"It can be exciting and beautiful, but mostly I just felt like shit." "None of its accomplishments elevated or redeemed it for me. Like the nature consuming Seattle, or the outbreak consuming humanity, its ugliness overshadowed everything else."

And Ars Technica:

"The Last of Us Part 2 review: A less confident, less focused sequel" "Story loses focus quickly and fails to get it back" "Dull boss fights and “enemy flood” late-game challenges"

Y'know, actual proper sites that you might take seriously.

But go ahead and post the opposing views from GameSpew, Everyeye.it, and Power Unlimited, I'm sure it will be a hoot.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Be interesting to see the reaction to a game like Max Payne 3 nowadays. Nobody gave a shit back in 2012 that this bloke shoots half of brazil in slow motion with user controlled slow mo cams. Strong forum favourite, too.

Max Payne 3 is self aware in its own way. It conforms to genre tropes and doesn't try to offer meta-judgement on the player for actually enjoying the mad HK-cinema derived gunplay it exists to offer.

I'm firmly avoiding all the reviews, but I've got a suspicion that TLoU2 is going to end up being the gaming equivalent of The Joker. That comparison will carry very different meanings for different people, but for me it's not a favourable one.

44 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Nah, God of War is crap too, unless you think firing a boomerang or whatever it was at three icons in the distance over and over and over again makes for entertainment. 

The new god of war? Absolutely. Hated it.

The Last of Us? GTFO

You can upgrade the weapons to stop the floaty float.

It was fashionable for its time. Uncharted 4 was miles ahead and I expect this one to nail it

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

This just proves the point, though. 10/10 from nobody sites like GRYOnline.pl, Comicbook.com, Malditos Nerds and I'm not even making these up.

Then you scroll down the page and see quotes like this from Vice:

"The Last of Us Part II' Is a Grim and Bloody Spectacle, but a Poor Sequel"

Or this from Kotaku:

"It can be exciting and beautiful, but mostly I just felt like shit." "None of its accomplishments elevated or redeemed it for me. Like the nature consuming Seattle, or the outbreak consuming humanity, its ugliness overshadowed everything else."

And Ars Technica:

"The Last of Us Part 2 review: A less confident, less focused sequel" "Story loses focus quickly and fails to get it back" "Dull boss fights and “enemy flood” late-game challenges"

Y'know, actual proper sites that you might take seriously.

But go ahead and post the opposing views from GameSpew, Everyeye.it, and Power Unlimited, I'm sure it will be a hoot.

This is weird. It's just humans giving opinions. Why does it matter where they're from? 

1 hour ago, EUkdazs said:

What the fuck is this shit?! Have you got sausages for fingers or something? 

Nope just standards.. I’m sure there are many games I overlook faults as I like the game but ND controls are so poor I struggle to get into any other aspect of their games because of them. 

I also couldn’t play RDR2 for the same reason but loved GTA5 - go figure!

Push Square

Jun 12, 2020

The Last of Us: Part II adds a couple more inches to the already outrageously high bar that Naughty Dog has set for itself.

IGN

Jun 12, 2020

The Last of Us Part 2 is a masterpiece that evolves the gameplay, cinematic storytelling, and rich world design of the original in nearly every way.

VG247

Jun 12, 2020

When the credits rolled on The Last of Us Part 2 I was still buzzing from the excitement of the final few hours

WOW LOOK MOM I CAN FIND QUOTES TO FIT MY NARRATIVE , TOO!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mike S said:

This is not true or else, given that I really like TLOU, it follows that  I'd probably like the Uncharted games, at least a little bit. But I don't like them at all.

The gameplay is the same though right? It’s the setting and presentation that make it feel different. 

47 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

eSmOLT8.jpg

"4/10 - SHIT AND WE HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET - RLLMUK FORUM" 

Offering up the fact that the garbage games media have taken their usual cheques in return for high scores doesn’t really make any point at all. We’re at a stage where if people don’t like the idea of a mega budget game there are numerous fans (who also haven’t actually played it yet) desperate to post links to paid for reviews by glorified PR outlets. It’s bizarre.

23 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

One of those 5 stars is mine, and I stand by it. FWIW, I wasn't a big fan of the original and was sceptical about this. And as you can see here, I certainly have issues with it.

But for me it really is quite a big step up from the original and an even bigger step up from Uncharted 4 in gameplay terms. It's still very much a Naughty Dog game, but it does a lot to smooth off the rough edges and adds in more variety. It's a much more impressive experience than I was expecting.

So you liked it but don’t think it’s perfect but gave it a perfect score? Why?

19 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Why do you want people that don’t think it already is to take games seriously as a story telling medium? 

Caring about that is pointless, but it’s pretty obvious that the people making these big clever narrative games are trying to make something that reviewers will say is clever and art. There’s an obvious desperation to be art, which is driven by these games and their fans and the media surrounding them.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Max should have just bided his time until 2020 when their president would have killed them all for him.

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nope just standards.. I’m sure there are many games I overlook faults as I like the game but ND controls are so poor I struggle to get into any other aspect of their games because of them. 

I also couldn’t play RDR2 for the same reason but loved GTA5 - go figure!

Sausage fingers, deffo. ;)

8 minutes ago, CGB said:

This is weird. It's just humans giving opinions. Why does it matter where they're from? 

Of course it matters. Which 10/10 carries more weight, Edge or Malditos Nerds? What do you think Naughty Dog themselves would rather put on their adverts?

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

The gameplay is the same though right? It’s the setting and presentation that make it feel different. 

Are you serious? No, really. That is an absolutely ludicrous statement.

DapperBoldAmericanavocet-size_restricted

Remember when Joel did this ?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Are you serious? No, really. That is an absolutely ludicrous statement.

DapperBoldAmericanavocet-size_restricted

Remember when Joel did this ?

Well, guess I know what I'm playing tonight now!!

10 minutes ago, Broker said:

So you liked it but don’t think it’s perfect but gave it a perfect score? Why?

It's not a perfect score. It's a scale of 1-5, which is only ever going to be a rough guide. I would definitely have gone 4.5 if half points were an option, and was one the fence between 4 and 5. But in the end I thought it just about deserved the 5.

It's unfortunate that places like Metacritic will convert that into 100%, but there's not much I can do about that. If I was doing a percentage mark I'd probably go high 80s.

20 minutes ago, Broker said:

Offering up the fact that the garbage games media have taken their usual cheques in return for high scores doesn’t really make any point at all. We’re at a stage where if people don’t like the idea of a mega budget game there are numerous fans (who also haven’t actually played it yet) desperate to post links to paid for reviews by glorified PR outlets. It’s bizarre.

You're probably being facetious, but I don't think most games outlets need 'cheques' (metaphorically or otherwise) to give the latest hyped game a high score. Barely any of them have the maturity to actually detach themselves from the hype campaigns that they themselves participate in. They're glorified fanboys who enjoy feeling included, you can tell by the way they're all over Twitter with shit like "Can't wait to share with you guys what I've seen!" whenever they're behind embargo. That's the kind of thing that leads to drek like Resistance 2 getting a 9.5 out of 10 from IGN, not conspirational shady deals between publishers.

There are obviously a handful of exceptions.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I see this thread is going well...

The same as most...

• Upvote 1

God that’s even more depressing, they don’t need to pay for reviews because so many fanboys want to shill for them for free.

It's been a while since I've read reviews this negative about any game, nevermind an AAA console exclusive, from VICE:

The Last of Us Part II feels complacent, yet also preoccupied with its predecessor. Every facet of the original game has been expanded and enlarged in the sequel, but not actually improved. It is as if its only inspiration is the original game, and the well of pop culture it was drawing from. There is practically nothing here we haven’t seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. It sets out to surpass its predecessor, but the only meaningful contrast between them is in its even more oppressive bleakness and violence. It digs two graves, fills them with blood, and then just fucking wallows in them.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxqnxy/last-of-us-part-2-review

I just don't understand the cheerleading and emperor's new clothes effect when this game obviously has serious problems.

Seven years is just too long in development for anything, let alone a videogame. There's just no way to stay current and it ends up feeling dated the day it comes out.