rllmuk

The Last of Us Part 2

My fan noise is unbearable, launch day pro. It’s not remotely dusty. Taking the top off the PS4 helps considerably. I gave up and put on noise cancelling headphones. digital version.

Anyway this is incredible so far. Kind of a slow burn, yet hours have flown by while I’ve been playing it. 

It looks and sounds stupidly good. It looks actually unbelievable at times. 

Combat is great on hard, almost like puzzles to solve as you simply can’t shoot your way through them. Clickers are bloody terrifying now and will fuuuuuck you up. It plays more like left behind, Ellie is deadlier than Joel thanks to her knife but can be oneshot by clickers and is easily overwhelmed. The new dodge is good and adds an interesting flow to the melee making it much less mashy. It feels brutal. 

There are bold story choices which any grown-up should be able to process without having a tantrum. So far it seems like the alt-right pampers brigade have invented another strawman because nothing strikes me as sensationalised, ill-considered or particular agenda-pushing. 

I care about the new characters, I’m really interested to see more of them and hear their backstories. Just like Tess, Mike etc in the first. 

There are environmental puzzles which are less contrived than TLOU. It’s more about traversing the environment and finding a path then looping back around. Seems an improvement to the really lumpy ladders and crates stuff.

There have been moments of levity and tenderness throughout, really thoughtful subtle design and storytelling. Some of the written content is a bit on the nose but nothing too stinky.

I’m having lots of “fun” in the sense that I’m totally absorbed by it. Aliens could land in my front garden and I’d have trouble tearing myself away. 

Basically skillup is talking out of his arse, don’t worry about it.

• Upvote 9
2 hours ago, Flanders said:

Why in all of those endless pontificating reviews did no one think to warn us that the clickers are fucking terrifying now.

Now?! They always were!!

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest, even after playing through the original again recently and falling back in love with it, I didn't really expect much of this. 

Literally got goose bumps at the acting and music and facial animation and just how beautifully handled it all is so far.

I know this is a boring comment but the HDR is also the best I've ever seen. It's not spectacular or flashy, it's more in line with the RDR2 lighting except wonderfully implemented. It's so natural, muted as per the climate and time of day but then suitably vibrant depending on the light source. The scene genuinely feels warmer and colder as you rotate the camera past bulbs and the like. It's so lifelike.

Sounds ridiculous, but I feel a little bit nauseous with nervous excitement at how well this has begun. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Moz said:

My fan noise is unbearable, launch day pro. It’s not remotely dusty. Taking the top off the PS4 helps considerably. I gave up and put on noise cancelling headphones. digital version.

Anyway this is incredible so far. Kind of a slow burn, yet hours have flown by while I’ve been playing it. 

It looks and sounds stupidly good. It looks actually unbelievable at times. 

Combat is great on hard, almost like puzzles to solve as you simply can’t shoot your way through them. Clickers are bloody terrifying now and will fuuuuuck you up. It plays more like left behind, Ellie is deadlier than Joel thanks to her knife but can be oneshot by clickers and is easily overwhelmed. The new dodge is good and adds an interesting flow to the melee making it much less mashy. It feels brutal. 

There are bold story choices which any grown-up should be able to process without having a tantrum. So far it seems like the alt-right pampers brigade have invented another strawman because nothing strikes me as sensationalised, ill-considered or particular agenda-pushing. 

I care about the new characters, I’m really interested to see more of them and hear their backstories. Just like Tess, Mike etc in the first. 

There are environmental puzzles which are less contrived than TLOU. It’s more about traversing the environment and finding a path then looping back around. Seems an improvement to the really lumpy ladders and crates stuff.

There have been moments of levity and tenderness throughout, really thoughtful subtle design and storytelling. Some of the written content is a bit on the nose but nothing too stinky.

I’m having lots of “fun” in the sense that I’m totally absorbed by it. Aliens could land in my front garden and I’d have trouble tearing myself away. 

These were more or less my sentiments when I started it. And then it started becoming better and I was like "is this actually getting better?". 

It was. :D

2 minutes ago, Moz said:

I think the problem that Skillup, and Edge, highlighted is that the gameplay loop gets boring and the story goes to shit in the second half. Despite the "feels" you might have now.

Anyway, I'm downloading it now so not long to wait for the definitive review.

• Empathy 1
2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I think the problem that Skillup, and Edge, highlighted is that the gameplay loop gets boring and the story goes to shit in the second half. Despite the "feels" you might have now.

The gameplay loop does drag in the end, that was my sentiment as well. The loop didn't feel exactly tailored to the length. 

Me playing this with GF next to me on the sofa -

Dina: makes another horse-related joke

GF: these horse jokes are lame

Me: did you mean to do that?

GF: no?

Me: oh.

• Upvote 5
17 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I’ve played the first one six times and not tired of the gameplay loop, though. He openly admitted to just shooting his way through it.

Anyone else jumped at their horse yet? 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sdmilne said:

Just how bad is the fan noise when playing this?  And does it make a difference whether you are using the disc version or the digital?

Deafening. Constant roar of cheering and applause, which while justified, is distracting enough that I’ve put on subtitles. 

• Upvote 1

I am so in for this horrific, majestic, thrilling, fucking evil ride. Avoid spoilers, everyone - there’s some massive stuff and it starts pretty early.

Technically this is the best game of the generation, too.

• Upvote 2

So far this is just as good as the first one. Been playing it since about 10am but I'm really taking my time and drinking it in, so I'm not very far at all.

My release model base PS4 is being suspiciously quiet playing it, though. Either this game is coded to near perfect levels of efficiency or my PS4 is about to melt.

The thing I got spoiled for me yesterday happened early on, which is nice. I really don’t know where it’s going from here and given that it’s quite long I’m excited by the prospect.

It’s got a wide, slowish vibe of wandering around big areas investigating landmarks etc. I can feel the pull of the story but I’m taking it slow and trying to explore every nook and cranny.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Can anyone who isn't emotionally involved with the characters comment on the gameplay? Better AI this time for buddies and enemies? Fewer cheap puzzles? Improved gunplay? Anything that actually makes this a better videogame than the first one?

It's largely identical to be honest. Some slight refinements and a few new mechanics brought across from the Uncharted games, but the friendly AI issues persist and the enemy AI is nothing to write home about. There's still very little to stop you luring them all into a single room and stealth killing them one by one, I'm seven hours in on hard and haven't used a single crafted item yet.

That said, the puzzles are a lot less forced and the level design is lovely.

I’ve barely used my guns yet, except for one sequence where stealth isn’t an option.

The enemy AI gets smarter and more aggressive on harder difficulties FYI. The difficulty for several components is custom, so you can put the enemies on survivor and leave the rest on hard if you like. 

If anyone’s interested you can tune 

player: damage taken, checkpoints mid encounter

enemies: accuracy, frequency of items, aggression/flanking, melee complexity, movement speed, misc custom tuning in specific encounters

allies: aggressiveness/passivity in combat

stealth: enemy perception, how quickly enemies alert others, takedown distance/angle

resources: quantity/durability/yield of scavenged and crafted items. 

34 minutes ago, Moz said:

The thing I got spoiled for me yesterday happened early on, which is nice.

Same here. Quite happy that I still didn't see it coming at the time and got a bit of a shock, though.

I'm playing it on normal, and maybe it's because I replayed the fuck out of the original on hard difficulties, but I'm finding this to be quite easy. I'm gathering tons of supplies early on, and I'm barely using my firearms. The clickers are almost certainly much easier to handle than they were in the first game.

Weird people with nothing better to do are bombing this on Metacritic , with the user review average at 3.7 out of 10.  Makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
6 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Same here. Quite happy that I still didn't see it coming at the time and got a bit of a shock, though.

I'm playing it on normal, and maybe it's because I replayed the fuck out of the original on hard difficulties, but I'm finding this to be quite easy. I'm gathering tons of supplies early on, and I'm barely using my firearms. The clickers are almost certainly much easier to handle than they were in the first game.

Yeah, must say I'm baffled by people saying the clickers are harder than before. They're a piece of piss now you no longer need shivs, you can even approach them from the front. It's kinda broken the balance because they're easier to take out than runners now.

20 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I’ve not played this since I shut down about 4am this morning but I have not... stopped... thinking about it!

Another session getting started very shortly :unsure:

I’m on strike till they patch the story.

3 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, must say I'm baffled by people saying the clickers are harder than before. They're a piece of piss now you no longer need shivs, you can even approach them from the front.

You should really up the enemies difficulty specifically if you find this too easy. For my first playthrough I had enemies on hard, allies on one up towards aggressive and everything else moderate. I found it pretty tense but manageable. 

25 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Weird people with nothing better to do are bombing this on Metacritic , with the user review average at 3.7 out of 10.  Makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

Maybe they dislike it as much as reviewers liked it?

Anyone having trouble getting the pre-order bonuses (the pistol capacity upgrade and the crafting manual) to work? I’ve entered the code from ShopTo and it’s certainly downloaded the avatar, but the items aren’t appearing in the game (even after restarting the PS4) and I don’t seem to have an option to download any additional DLC items for the game.