It was inevitable .

Reveal hidden contents

I just didn’t  expect it so soon

Yeah, me too.

7 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It was inevitable .

Reveal hidden contents

I’d expected it to have happened somewhere between the two games - what shocked me was how graphic it was.[/spoiler]

15 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Oh man.

I've just got to

Reveal hidden contents

THAT bit in the mountain lodge basement.

Fuck.

Having played the first game again so recently and spent that time controlling Joel, I kind of feel a bit annoyed.

Hmm.

posts like these should at least identify the day, otherwise what is the point?

Day one, presumably near the end of it. It’s raining outside.

I’ve only just hit a flashback in a theatre. so presumably we’ll go back to Abby at some point, who’s seeing everyone she knows killed left, right centre. And Ellie’s reaction to her girlfriends pregnancy, and her girlfriends relative lack or reaction to finding out Ellie is a freak, might well put people off.

liked the underground red lit chaos set piece. Managed to die once to show it doesn’t always work out the same way...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I actually gasped. 

yup when Abby hit him with shot gun i exclaimed out loud “ oh shit”

3 minutes ago, footle said:

posts like these should at least identify the day, otherwise what is the point?

Sorry - trying to avoid spoiling anything at all.

I'd class it as pre-day 1, 2 hours into the game.

Oh god the

Spoiler

uncomfortable sex scene

did David Cage work on this?

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Sorry - trying to avoid spoiling anything at all.

I'd class it as pre-day 1, 2 hours into the game.

I think that’s reasonable, but day/chapter is probably vague enough. The alternative is someone clicks on your link before they’ve got that far in, or asks a question that spoils.

Day 2

That Boris turned out to be a wanker, didn't he?

Then he made me jump so I shot him and stole his bow!

I chuck molotovs at 'em. Gets rid of doggo and owner in one fell swoop and while his pals run over to see what all the screaming and funny smell is about I sneak off and relocate to a different position.

5 minutes ago, footle said:

I think that’s reasonable, but day/chapter is probably vague enough. The alternative is someone clicks on your link before they’ve got that far in, or asks a question that spoils.

After day 2 spoiler

Saying "days" will cease to work

About 20 hours in now according to the save file. Not going to post anything specific about events until I finish it. The explosives in this are very well done. The way they smash windows and  shake the world is exceptional. I also don't remember a recent game with dismemberment against humans. Guns cause it but explosions are extremely detailed and graphic.

Hillcrest is fantastic. Superbly tense stuff. The dogs properly shit me up.

Also, I think the AI is a good deal better than in the first one - it's caught the drop on me multiple times, and seems to be really good at flanking me.

36 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Oh god the

Reveal hidden contents

uncomfortable sex scene

did David Cage work on this?

What day are you referring to?

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

What day are you referring to?

It's quite late on, don't click it. You'll know it when you get there. 

1 minute ago, Rudderless said:

It's quite late on, don't click it. You'll know it when you get there. 

Spoiler

He could have meant the early Ellie and Dina, rather than the later Abby and Owen. But yes best not to click at all

Just near the beginning of day one. A slower start than the first one but enjoying it a lot. Hey, it's more Last of Us, so I'm not complaing. And it looks gorgeous. I just love post apocalyptic games where plant life has taken over. I never get bored of it.

I really cannot understand the criticism of Joel and Ellie being completely different characters to the ones we left in TLOU.

Its really heart breaking to see who Ellie has become, vs who we knew in the first game. But is brilliantly done and faithful to who these characters are. I miss the precocious, wise cracking yet venerable girl she was.. and am genuinely saddened to see the world weary and cynical young women she has become.  But it feels real. And genuine. And perfectly thought out. 

And this series are the only games that have made me genuinely weep. Twice.

Im not far in, but so far this game is a fucking masterpiece.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, pledge said:

Hide contents

He could have meant the early Ellie and Dina, rather than the later Abby and Owen. But yes best not to click at all

The latter.

This is miserable. Might be fine for another time, but not 15 week lockdown Festoon.

It's too grimdark for me, I'm afraid.

11 minutes ago, pledge said:

Reveal hidden contents

True enough, though that first one bore no comparison with Cage - it's tasteful and convincingly played. I didn't have a major issue with the second, but I can understand why some might think it a little forced.

Part of me feels sorry for kids (younger players I guess given the nature of the content) for whom this is the first generation of games they get to play.  Games will be expected to look like this and I suspect in some areas TLOU 2 will remain a benchmark for the next 5 years maybe.

In my life time, I've gone from Bruce Lee on the Commodore 64 to games that look like this.  I mean, fucking hell!  Players today won't see the gulf in performance and sophistication like I'm seeing...part of the enjoyment of the game is the sensation I keep getting which is "OMG...VIDEO GAMES can do this now...VIDEO GAMES!"

The gap in the fidelity and craft between the games I started playing and this just won't be as big.  Staggering stuff.. 

• Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

The latter.

I already clicked it. As spoilers go it's a mild one, please be more careful dude.

Just this minute finished Days Gone. Bought TLOU2 when it went live and had it downloaded a few hours later. Thought I'd have Days Gone wrapped up by the time it had downloaded and would be able to have a little play. Yeah, no. Been playing the fucker all day. Finally finished so time to have an hour or two with this. Days Gone just kept going and going. Really enjoyed it though.

Anyway, onto the game at hand.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

It was inevitable .

Hide contents

Spoiler for the first couple of hours:

Spoiler

I saw it coming. The dialogue between Joel and Ellie was so saccharine from the get-go I fully expected that Joel had been diagnosed with cancer or something - he sounded like he knew he was going to die, so when it happened I wasn’t all that surprised, although I do agree that when it happened it was shocking and it was brutal. 

Like I said before - The bitch must die! It’s an excellent conceit for a revenge story. How do you get your audience on board for a revenge story? Kill their most beloved character right at the beginning. 

One other thing - aside from the Arkham Batman games, the feeling of being a silent, deadly, unseen assassin that this game gives is unparalleled... when you get it right of course! 

I am the night, bitches. 

Question about an optional area on Day 1:

Spoiler

Is there an obvious way to get into the pet shop via the back door that I'm missing? It says it needs a key but I've searched everywhere nearby apart from the Courthouse, which is the place I need to go to to advance the story. I don't want to go in there and accidentally progress beyond the point of no return and then not be able to go back to the pet shop.

I want to know what's in Barlow's, dammit!

10 minutes ago, amc said:

Just this minute finished Days Gone. Bought TLOU2 when it went live and had it downloaded a few hours later. Thought I'd have Days Gone wrapped up by the time it had downloaded and would be able to have a little play. Yeah, no. Been playing the fucker all day. Finally finished so time to have an hour or two with this. Days Gone just kept going and going. Really enjoyed it though.

Anyway, onto the game at hand.

I just finished Days Gone the day before starting TLOU2. 

I keep pressing R3 to scan for pickups :doh:

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Question about an optional area on Day 1:

Hide contents

Is there an obvious way to get into the pet shop via the back door that I'm missing? It says it needs a key but I've searched everywhere nearby apart from the Courthouse, which is the place I need to go to to advance the story. I don't want to go in there and accidentally progress beyond the point of no return and then not be able to go back to the pet shop.

I want to know what's in Barlow's, dammit!

The key is in

Spoiler

the diner on the corner, north of the courthouse.

You'll want what's in there. Pretty sure you can still do it after the ch, tho.