Peter Pan Goes Wrong

I loved it.

However... I saw it in the theatre a while back, and is better suited to it than the telly. They seemed to race through it a bit too fast losing some of the timing and fun of the audience participation. But it mostly hit home. I still loved it. Worth catching on iPlayer. 

...unless you want to save it to see it at the theatre. 

There is a Peter Pan stage play too which I think had a few limited days in London during this month (as it's a Xmas vignette) , but the original Play That Goes Wrong is a murder mystery and is currently touring the UK. Both were excellent. 

Play That Goes Wrong is well worth checking out. Saw it a year or so ago and it's a genuinely funny play that starts from the minute you walk into the theatre.

They've done another called The Comedy About a Bank Robbery that's meant to be really quite good too. But, back on point, I watched PPGW on iPlayer yesterday and really quite enjoyed it, but it's better suited to the stage I think.

PTGW is proper amazingly funny. Better than this Peter Pan production due to it trying to be a more serious play (and hilariously failing) and the humour is more subtle in places. Also, having gotten into am-dram myself recently, a lot of the situations were relatable (the props mix-up, the looping scene!).

Definitely go see it, even on your own!

• 11 months later...

I was flicking through the channels and saw the 'Christmas Carol Goes Wrong' and just from the brief last 30 seconds I saw it looked dreadful. I wondered if it was related in some way to the production company that does The Play That Goes Wrong (which is excellent and very, very funny). Is it?

I'm off to see The Comedy About A Bank Robbery shortly too, looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I was flicking through the channels and saw the 'Christmas Carol Goes Wrong' and just from the brief last 30 seconds I saw it looked dreadful. I wondered if it was related in some way to the production company that does The Play That Goes Wrong (which is excellent and very, very funny). Is it?

I'm off to see The Comedy About A Bank Robbery shortly too, looking forward to it.

Yep same group 

They did Peter Pan GW last year for the BBC (I believe based on their stage show) and it worked well - because they seemed to film a (special) version of their stage show - with the limitations and restrictions there of which drives half the humour (And it felt like one take)

This didnt have that with different sets/stages/time to change etc,

it was just a sub par tv comedy

TCABR is interesting. Saw it in the summer thought it was really good but gets too dramatic/story focused at the end.

Got a ticket to the tour of TPTGW in a few weeks

The concept behind "the play that goes wrong" and its sequels is not new(see below) although it is very well executed. It is definitely a form of comedy/theatre that works better on the stage.

That is not to say it can't be done on television but if it was it should be tailored/written accordingly. For instance Acorn Antiques is a fantastic version of the genre/trope and it is written purely for the screen.

Finally producing lots of them one after another will eventually wear out the concept/writers. In theory it is "simple" to keep doing them as there are many plays that can go wrong however the audience will tire and the writers will run out of clever gags. This happened with the Farndal plays.

I havent seen the latest but the first one last year was a shadow of the stage show/live experience (albeit very funny/good shadow) due to the above reasons of not being written for TV. The latest one being not as good is bound to be a combo of that plus the writers getting tired or depending on big name appearances.

* this genre in theatre is not unusual, only a few years ago the Farndale Avenue series of plays (especially Macbeth) did exactly the same thing they just didn't hit at the right time to become massive hits, that is a combination of luck and circumstance. The Farndale Avenue Macbeth (not full title) maybe isnt quite as good/slick as the Play that went wrong however.

Another (and better) example is Noises Off by Michael Frayn, it is the perfect "backstage" play gone wrong and is vastly superior to the play that goes wrong as it ties in far better with reality and real characters whilst maintaining the high farce and intense comedy.

Mixing high farce and "real characters" is almost impossible - General farce, the play that goes wrong and Farndale all use caracatures rather than believable characters.

The problem with this one was that the concept wasn't logical/believable, and didn't really suit the premise that works so well as a stage play. They invaded a TV studio recording of A Christmas Carol. Was it meant to be live? I don't know. It had a kind of cartoon logic that couldn't be believed. There were some funny gags - some of the stuff that I liked so much about the Peter Pan show - but it was mostly disappointing.

@Clipper I was thinking of Noises Off as I was reading your post (before I then saw you mentioned it). I haven't seen the original play, but I did think the film was very good and well done.

I agree with you, in that it is a genre that is very easy to exhaust the goodwill of the audience with very quickly, because ultimately they are all going to be essentially doing the same, quite narrow thing. It takes some real craft to keep that style fresh.

51 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@Clipper I was thinking of Noises Off as I was reading your post (before I then saw you mentioned it). I haven't seen the original play, but I did think the film was very good and well done.

I agree with you, in that it is a genre that is very easy to exhaust the goodwill of the audience with very quickly, because ultimately they are all going to be essentially doing the same, quite narrow thing. It takes some real craft to keep that style fresh.

if you haven't seen Noises Off in a theatre then please do any chance you get (as long as it is at least a decent amateur/professional production :D - a poor production amateur or professional would turn it into a teeth grinding experience, nowhere to hide on that stage with that play) it is so much better than the film seen live.

• 6 months later...

Saw Mischief Movie Night last week (tour, but "original" cast which was nice)

Pretty good - but still it's improv so not the tight comedy of their other stuff. Also short (over by the interval). The extract from new show after was much much better.

• 1 year later...

Anyone been watching "The Show that goes Wrong" on the BBC?

3 episodes in and it's pretty ok. (The Christmas episode being the duffest).

But 30 minutes doesn't feel like long enough for this type of farce to escalate, and they have to start off "hard" with things going wrong. Whereas both TPTGW and PPGW start off more low key and get worse and worse as events spiral

Yeah, I've seen the first three episodes. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I agree that 30 minutes isn't enough to escalate slowly, so they tend towards slapstick. I lose interest a bit when it's people tripping over, walls falling down, etc.

That said, each episode has one or two set-ups and pay-offs that have had me in hysterics - the 'split' set and repeating conversations from the Trial episode, for instance. Or just little background things, like the decoration/food mix-up in the Christmas episode, or the guy playing the reindeer repeating what he was told earlier instead of making a reindeer noise. :D

It's the subtler stuff that I like most, and watching the characters trying to keep going when you know that they know that something's gone wrong but they can't stop. I was practically pissing myself in the Pilot episode where they're all trying to get behind the door. The little pause of hesitation before they do it, knowing they can't get around it.

So, not as good as the stage show, which is legitimately one of the funniest things I've ever seen, but a ruddy good laugh all the same.

2 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I'm enjoying it. It doesn't all hit home, but there was a scene in the third one that had me in tears.

Which one?

I liked the 2nd best, but the third had some very strong moments with the sets.

Seems odd at least one of the male cast members has to get kit off per episode :lol: