Yakuza 0

Uzi

14 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

Knowing that made Zero even better to me.

What Chuck said? Yeah, same here. Most writers in any medium get that kind of story wrong. Oftentimes it's corny or, at best, just not that interesting. But goddamn if there aren't a bunch of brilliant writers in that there Yakuza dev team. It's probably the best thing amongst a great many highly entertaining aspects of the game.

It's £26.86 to preorder the Kiwami steelbook at ShopTo: http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4YA02-yakuza-kiwami-steelbook-edition

Damn, though. The new Uncharted on 23/08, this on 29/08, and Destiny 2 on 08/09. Was kinda hoping for an early summer release for Kiwami rather than a late one. Can't they just stop making games for a bit? 

It looks like Sega are starting to push Yak a bit more in the West, with a new comic strip up on the Yakuza Experience website. There's nothing in it so far but a rehash of a scene from Yak 0 - so, duh, avoid it if you haven't played Yak 0 and don't want to see it - but maybe they'll add more beyond 0 later, as the pictured events take place quite late on in the game.

On 12/04/2017 at 21:13, Gorf King said:

It's £26.86 to preorder the Kiwami steelbook at ShopTo: http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4YA02-yakuza-kiwami-steelbook-edition

£24.85 at base.com

Just got to Chapter 5 in 0. Can't believe there are 22 chapters! I might have to start dropping a few of the sidequests. I'm finding the quality of them tends to vary a fair bit, too.

56 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

However, this isn't my game of the year, I found the combat far too tiresome - literally. I'm surprised I haven't developed RSI. The QTE's were annoying too. And the guys with guns off screen who shoot you ... that is cheap-as-fuck game design. Thankfully that was only really an issue in the final chapter. But that, and the constant battles against multiple guys with little to no variation, somewhat took the shine off for me. 

I think the amount of variation - and fun - in the combat is entirely down to the player. The toolsets are quite varied (assuming you play enough to unlock them), and there's lots of pleasure to be had by switching styles on the fly, positioning to use environmental weapons, going for the comedy takedown, etc. But you can simply hammer X and that'll get you through as well. Seems a waste of the possibilities though: you've got to indulge in the occasional Essence of Cramming/Salting/Ass Crushing to brighten the day.

I'm surprised that even if you ignored most friendships, side quests and mini-games you didn't at least hammer the property development subgame - that's not taxing, and gets very addictive in a chill out way. Come on now - at least tell me you unlocked the chicken. You must have unlocked the chicken, right?

Nah, he wouldn't have if he didn't bother with the mini games much.

Think I played for well over 3 times what you played there LeChuck. I completed all the side stories and unlocked every fighting style, and completing them all, except the secret ones. The variation is what made it great, though I will confess nothing beats Beast style fighting Kuze and using a heat move to smash his face into the floor while that soundtrack is playing 8-)

Finished this on 45 hours. Would have loved to put more time in but I'd already put Nier, Horizon & Zelda to one side to finish this, and have Persona 5 waiting patiently to be started. Just madly in love with this game. Certainly my goty so far, and I can't wait for kiwami now.

I'm giving up on this one, not my sort of game at all. If you can even class this as a game.

I spent about three hours on it. Was bored senseless by the endless text and nothing else happening, other than some awful Simon says button mashing karaoke thing. Then got to a leave the family part of chapter one and got killed about ten times with the endless enemies it throws at you and no health to pick-up anywhere with added QTE take half your health every time you navigate to a new room. I couldn't be arsed with trying to beat any longer that and just turned it off. 

Biggest mistake in buying a game in a long time for me.  

2 hours ago, JohnnyNolan said:

I'm giving up on this one, not my sort of game at all. If you can even class this as a game.

I spent about three hours on it. Was bored senseless by the endless text and nothing else happening, other than some awful Simon says button mashing karaoke thing. Then got to a leave the family part of chapter one and got killed about ten times with the endless enemies it throws at you and no health to pick-up anywhere with added QTE take half your health every time you navigate to a new room. I couldn't be arsed with trying to beat any longer that and just turned it off. 

Biggest mistake in buying a game in a long time for me.  

I'm totally useless at fighting games (well, games in general) and usually play on easy - and I did it first time on normal without a problem, just using a couple of drinks.

It's very strange. Are you sure you're not on hard or anything? 

I was playing on normal and to give the game it's due on the nth ass kicking I got it asked if I wanted to play on easy, which I selected. I still couldn't get much past the bloke waiting to hit me with a chair blocking a hallway.

How do you get drinks? Does that replenish your health?

Nah, think of it like streets of rage or something. Auto refilling health would ruin such a game. Anyway buy them at chemists. Just fill your inventory with them, they are very cheap.

It's not a remotely difficult game though, not sure what has happened there. Almost sounds like some kind of bug.