IGNORED

Yakuza 0

Uzi

27 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

How much does the digital version cost anyway?

20 minutes ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

£44.99 (bundled with about six avatars). Started downloading before I left for work this morning :D

59.99 in euro money for those interested. Expensive, but Yakuza games are always worth at least twice that :)

26 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

Hey! Congratulations Mr. Gerbik! And that's amazing news about you having a son ;)! Have you considered Blanka as a middle name?

My copy of Yakuza 0 from Amazon has delivered - will be my first. Sons I have two of.

Thanks man! I did not consider Blanka because the missus wouldn't have let me get away with it! But I'm really looking forward to buying my son his first arcade stick and subsequently to the day that he's able to perfect me at Street Fighter :D

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

59.99 in euro money for those interested. Expensive, but Yakuza games are always worth at least twice that :)

Thanks man! I did not consider Blanka because the missus wouldn't have let me get away with it! But I'm really looking forward to buying my son his first arcade stick and subsequently to the day that he's able to perfect me at Street Fighter :D

"Fuck Street Fighter, dad. I want to play FIFA!"

;)

£44.99 (bundled with about six avatars). Started downloading before I left for work this morning [emoji3]

That's not a bad price really. £39 on disc was cheapest I found. I wouldn't mind an Yakuza avatar!

Any fighting tips? I'm struggling a little on some of the encounters, I tend to get crowded pretty quickly. Should I focus more on the rush style and try to dodge? When I try to do the charge move I get interrupted 9 out of 10 times. Also I can't decide if the lock on is useful or not. In short, I suck :(.

9 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

My copy arrived yesterday. Played for a few hours last night. Up to the second chapter and starting to get distracted by side quests and mini games.

I did exactly the same. Story progress ground to a halt as pool, slot car racing, baseball, fishing, bowling, dancing and singing took over.

Not for PS4. There is a demo of Yak 3 on PS3.

Have you thought of buying it, playing it for one evening and returning it in case you do not like it? I am not overly familiar with brick & mortar shops, but surely some offer full price trade-ins after only one evening of play. The first 2 to 3 hours of the game is a perfect vertical slice.

6 minutes ago, df0 said:

Not for PS4. There is a demo of Yak 3 on PS3.

Have you thought of buying it, playing it for one evening and returning it in case you do not like it? I am not overly familiar with brick & mortar shops, but surely some offer full price trade-ins after only one evening of play. The first 2 to 3 hours of the game is a perfect vertical slice.

CEX do if you return the game within 48 hours but only in the form of store credit. Then again if you spend store credit to buy the game in the first place, that could work.

15 hours ago, Sane said:

Any fighting tips? I'm struggling a little on some of the encounters, I tend to get crowded pretty quickly. Should I focus more on the rush style and try to dodge? When I try to do the charge move I get interrupted 9 out of 10 times. Also I can't decide if the lock on is useful or not. In short, I suck :(.

From what little I've played whilst feeling like hell, the combat seems to be much tougher than previous entries, mainly due to it taking away the generous invincibility frames that the older games had (mostly when throwing other people). Early on I'd recommend picking up weapons/furniture and swinging them wildly (Brawler fighting style).

18 hours ago, Sane said:

Not sure where you're up to, but as soon as I unlocked Rush style I used that almost exclusively for a while because it's much quicker and easier to dodge. Later on, it's worth sticking mostly to Brawler style for the extra power it affords you. There are some moves that can clear you some space when you're surrounded or knocked down, so have a look at the ability board and see if you can afford any of them. 

This is my first Yakuza, only played about 60-90 minutes. I'm assuming it will improve massively as first impressions aren't great as I think approximately 10 minutes of that was actually playing. The rest was watching cut scenes, watching visual novel style text boxes over a still background or slowly following a bloke. Japanese games always seem to struggle with the tutorial stage of games. Thr start of Gravity Rush 2 is similarly tedious before opening up so I'm optimistic this is a similar case.

11 hours ago, Liquid Myth said:

From what little I've played whilst feeling like hell, the combat seems to be much tougher than previous entries, mainly due to it taking away the generous invincibility frames that the older games had (mostly when throwing other people). Early on I'd recommend picking up weapons/furniture and swinging them wildly (Brawler fighting style).

Yeah It definitely feels more punishing. I played through yakuza 3 and 4 and I don't recall ever having trouble with normal enemies but here random guys in black will sometimes kick my ass, getting into a loop of being interrupted tag team style by them and knocked down. It can be quite frustrating.

I know it's mostly my own skills that are lacking though, I will try focusing on the rush style and dodging better.

I reckon someone from Shopto has nicked my copy. I ordered it on 19 or 20 January, received dispatch notice on 21 January. Looking closely, the pack image they sent (as evidence) is dated 16 January at 2.43am and the label is all blurred out so you can't read the name and address.

Finished the main story with 42 hours on the clock last night, amazing game and definitely the best Yakuza game after 2 :D  The last boss fight was a bit of a bastard on Hard but managed to muddle my way through.  Of course I'm far from done, onto Premium Adventure mode now to do a lot of the other stuff (i never 100% these games but do like to do all the substories, some of the mini games etc)

'Played' an hour or so of this and seems to be setting everything up nicely. I'm a fan of movies that take their time to flesh out characters, motives and plot so the cutscene heavy introduction has been fine with me. Enjoying the atmosphere so far. 

Karaoke is s bit hard though eh?!! Chose the 2nd song and scored 65 with 18 mistakes.