IGNORED

Yakuza 0

Uzi

Finally got to put a few more hours into this last night and did lots of the mini games - the bowling being a highlight. Challenged the receptionist and was thinking she would be some kind of semi pro but she rolled a terrible 20% power shot straight into the gutter on her first go and didn't really improve much on that!

Won a plastic dinosaur in the UFO grabber machine! Presumably these are fodder for a vendor but I can't seem to find anyone to sell to?

11 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Finally got to put a few more hours into this last night and did lots of the mini games - the bowling being a highlight. Challenged the receptionist and was thinking she would be some kind of semi pro but she rolled a terrible 20% power shot straight into the gutter on her first go and didn't really improve much on that!

Won a plastic dinosaur in the UFO grabber machine! Presumably these are fodder for a vendor but I can't seem to find anyone to sell to?

Pawn shop.

Finished the initial missions, and finally started on the more open stuff. This is just amazing; and the WTF side missions are so random. Won my first darts game convincingly, too, which was nice. There's even a full-blown Shogi game in there, FFS.

But the Yakuza stuff is brilliantly done; these guys are clearly badasses, and by extension, so are you.

Wonder what I did to piss off the guys in black, 'though.

This is going to eat up all my spare time, isn't it? Just wandering the streets is compelling.

The Mach Bowl friendship quest with the girl on the desk... 

Spoiler

... where you have to score a 'turkey' in a bowling game to win a nice crispy roast turkey, but what you really want is total control of all the real estate in the area, which is why you played so much bowling in the first place, because obviously you have to befriend the cashier girl to get ownership of the business, because that's how you get into real estate, that and hiring estate managers from the underworld and/or inland revenue, and... and...

... I'm pretty sure it's the most fucking ridiculous game I've ever played. Just about every other mission ends up in some sort of genuine WTF moment where you can't even think straight for a few minutes afterwards, let alone speak. You open your mouth to protest at what's just happened but you're confused, and nothing but a slow string of drool makes its way out of your slack maw. And then you compose yourself and play the next bit.

How can this be game of the year? And how can it not be?

I'm fairly certain any reputable Karaoke club would throw you out if you started screaming 'Oi! Oi! Oi! Dah-dah-dah!' every time a woman got up to sing. Maybe they just watched him smash three blokes face into mush outside (and don't want to risk him wrecking the place though.

9 hours ago, Gorf King said:

The Mach Bowl friendship quest with the girl on the desk... 

How can this be game of the year? And how can it not be?

Are they big, these friendship quests? So far, I've been met a 'Stop and Search' fanatic - I was confused; was I being hit on, or harassed? - and an Outrun-obsessed staff member at a Sega.

That was before I met a teenage couple having relationship problems because...no, I can't; oh, Japan, you get so weird sometimes.

11 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

I'm really not sure how i feel about this game.  Basically it seems like a very basic fighting game that you occasionally get to play inbetween the frankly ridiculous amount of cutscenes. 

Combat really opens up the more ingame money and time you put into it.  You need to buy moves, unlock moves from masters etc.  Very RPG in that sense but it's very satisfying.  It's why there's a lot of story/cutscenes too due to its RPG nature.  You'll get the main story which is quite serious, lots of cutscenes etc then you'll get stuff in the open city like substories, minigames etc which are more quirky/hilarious.  I'm not sure where you are but it does take a few chapters to really open up.  It's why I adore the Yakuza series because it's one of the very few series where I can say there's nothing else like it.

Man, I got Shakedown guy to 50% health just now; the third time I encountered him (second time he was asleep... I kinda woke him up, um, somehow <whistles>).

Luckily he only got a couple of thousand ¥ this time. I'm going to beat his ass one of these days. Few more moves should do it.

By the way, is any one style more lucrative than the others? 

Had a 3 hour session today and had a cracking few games of pool against an invisible grunting man, a tricky but fun game of darts (after a few pints at the bar) and then hit the streets where I did some incredible side quests:

- Arakure Quest

- How to train your Dominatrix

- The show must go on

All three were great fun with genuinely laugh out loud moments and had really satisfying endings. If the quality of side quests is this good then the game

is going to take a serious amount of time to get through!

Also met Mr Shakedown haha

3 hours ago, Superfamifreak said:

I generally Stick with brawler, using rush mostly for Mr Shakedown and haven't really used beast as it's too cumbersome for me.

I seem to get most cash with brawler; especially if I end with grabbing the opponent and smashing his face into a nearby...well, anything, really.

30 hours in and still on Chapter 2 :ph34r:

I'm kind of glad they got rid of the substory icons on the map but it does mean I keep running around the streets, constantly getting into fights and then spending all my money on Dream Machines instead of raising my abilities.