Yakuza 0

Uzi

11 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

Coming up to 50 hours and halfway through Chapter 4. I think this time doing CP objectives and substories might have been better spent with the real estate and hostess stuff unlocked.

Nah the substories help you out with real estate.  

6 minutes ago, smac said:

Well, moneybags, can you do me a solid and confirm when you get to buy more property/how?

Do you have to go through the beginning of the second day first, where

Hide contents

you get chased through the streets by the Yakuza, flee into the sewers, then encounter Kuze again? On the motorbike?

Reveal hidden contents

Because I was assuming that was going to be the end of Ch 6.

Nope not seen that bit.  

OK, I Googled; it looks like you just walk up to them, and press X to look at them, right?

So, I've been missing that - I was wondering what you had to do. Maybe you need enough money before the X appears; maybe I just missed it. Plus some are behind friendship quests.

I think there's only one property per area (if that) behind a friendship quest, and it's possible to 100% ownership of an area if you're one short. I still don't have the last property in the last area - and am unlikely ever to have it due to the associated friendship quest - but I completed the property game earlier today. Don't think I'll bother with much of the other stuff that's left, like Majima's equivalent of the property game, from now on, as I've got to the point where I just want to see the main storyline through. Might concentrate funds on just one fighting style for the big M and use Kiryu as a funding source.

It's a great game, but I think you'd have to be a bit of a nutter to try to do everything - the game's so diverse that surely not everything in it can appeal to you. I know I won't be touching mahjong or shogi, for example. That property game though. That was just too addictive to stop, and although I make over a billion per collection cycle now I kinda wish it'd go on. Not forever; I just want to own all of Tokyo. Maybe Japan.

After ignoring this series since I first heard about it many years ago, I decided to give this game a go, seemed fitting as it's a prequel to its predecessors. 

I'm actually blown away and now I'm a bit mad at myself for missing out on the series. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing a video game, there's something of interest around every friggin corner. 
Normally I don't like games with fetch quests, but in this game I can't get enough of them. Some of the sub stories have better writing than full AAA games and the main story is keeping me interested. I've clocked about 12 hours this week and I can't stop thinking about the game when I'm not playing it. 

If the entire game is as good as the first three chapters, this is bound to end up on my personal Top 10 Ever list. 

FWIW, I think the last 30% or so falls down a bit in comparison to the rest of the game. The story gets a bit *too* involved in the lore of the rival factions, affairs become needlessly complicated and drawn-out, and there are a few bits where plot coincidences jump the shark. Some other stuff, too, deviates from what was up until then a reasonably convincing crime drama, and the melodramatic aspects of the story overcome the purely dramatic ones, with some substantial suspension of disbelief becoming necessary to swallow the main plot. But really, that's just saying it becomes more like other Yakuza games I've played (e.g. I usually find the denseness of the charter interactions and lore a little opaque), and is a bit nitpicky given that this, too, is a Yakuza game. Just be aware that you'll have to sit through a lot of non-interactive scenes towards the end - it does become a bit drawn out.

It's still a superb game, though, albeit that I have certain reservations. (I don't think I'll ever complete the Hostess business minigame as I find the training sections a bit... too hard to take ironically, as a joke, or as a detached cultural observation. And they're just not absurd enough to be in the least bit funny.) And in my fairly limited experience of Yakuza titles, it's my favourite - partly because I think it all hangs together better than the others I've played, with greater variety of content and tone (in a series that in any case always has a lot of variety), and partly because it's the easiest to get into. Certainly (obviously) if you've never played a Yakuza title it's the one to go for.

I'd go as far as to say that anyone with a PS4 should buy it unless they already know they hate the series, because in many ways I'd be surprised if there were much better games out this year. The high points - of which there are many - are alternately thrilling, mesmerically addictive, and laugh-out-loud funny, and for the most part the spine of the story that drags you back from the wealth of side stories and activities to its central thrust is very well written and acted, given its obvious melodramatic bent. And in all its gameplay variety, the core hook (pun intended) of punch mans is, of course, huge amounts of fun, the various styles and upgrades thereto providing a strong gameplay incentive to keep playing regardless of context. It's extremely satisfying to carefully monitor the health gauge of an adversary who's been taunting you for some time so you can time your attacks to land an especially brutal finishing blow at the end. Mmmm, revenge.

I ended up finishing with a ridiculous 90 hours on the clock (though many of them were spent just leaving the game running as income was raked in from properties, or on dialogue pause screens while I did something else), with a paltry 53.47% completion stat affirming my lack of diligence. Despite having racked up a total earnings tally of ¥55bn by the end, I might have to return later just to cream a bit more profit off the top of my investments. And there's always that last property in the Media King area to acquire. If only I could finish the friendship quest necessary to its acquisition...

Which property and Friendship?

I'm now hooked deep on the hostess game, defeated the first of the Five Stars last night. 70hrs done and 59% completion. I think I'll hit about 70% by the time I finish as I don't know how to play SHOGI or Mahjong and I suck at the baseball minigame.

13 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Which property and Friendship?

Pocket Racing.

Aye, I haven't spent any time on any of the gambling games at all, and even pool, darts and (especially) that baseball one have had scant attention paid to them. In fact, I've probably neglected the majority of the minigames, yet it feels as if I've been playing minigames and side stories of one sort or another for the majority of my playtime. There's an overwhelming amount of diverse content in the game, and it's to the title's credit that you can pick and choose what you want to do, and even skip the majority of it altogether, and it still shouldn't impinge on your ability to complete the main game.

52 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

And there's always that last property in the Media King area to acquire. If only I could finish the friendship quest necessary to its acquisition...

Pocket Racing? You just need to win a lot. It's the only property I failed to get. I did not understand Pocket Racing at all.

I bought all the properties from the 4 Billionaires. The properties of the 5th one are too expensive and time consuming for now so finally I ended that chapter and am now back playing as Majima who feels so weak and poor after levelling Kiryu to a Billionaire Beast :lol:

11 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Pocket Racing. You just need to win a lot. It's the only property I failed to get as well. I did not understand Pocket Racing at all.

I kinda did, to the point of winning all but the last two races with relative ease after a few mods, but the second-from-last one started giving me problems that I couldn't quite fathom - like, the car would go at about 1mph for no apparent reason, then just shoot off the track, and the mods I had just didn't seem to behave in the way they had previously. Now I've finished the game I could always look shit up on the net and see what an ideal setup would be, but that defeats the point of playing the game really - it's not as if Pocket Racing is a game of skill in the racing itself, so it'd be like looking up the solution to a puzzle. Totally unsatisfying. I might go back and have a bit more of a muck about with it, but I feel quite satisfied with the title and might put it to bed and move onto something else now.

On the point df0 makes, I maxed out Brawler and unlocked the 'secret' moveset for Kiryu and put stuff into that, too, so he was a beast by the end. Whereas, with far less cash, Majima languished with, at best, a 50% complete main combat style tree. Yet I found Majima's fights near the end of the game to be just as doable of Kiryu's. Dunno if that's just the way their styles and adversaries compare, or whether there's active scaling of enemy difficulty in play. I suspect the latter might be at least partially true.

On 13/02/2017 at 19:10, Gorf King said:

I think there's only one property per area (if that) behind a friendship quest, and it's possible to 100% ownership of an area if you're one short.

Yeah, thanks - it's the combination of number of properties x rank; so as you rank them up your 'share' of the area grows. I had 100% of the first area without owning two of the properties.

On the pleasure district and the only one I don't have is something like 'Sexual Harassment Cop'.

I guess it can't be any worse than the 'No Panties Korean BBQ' :blink2:

4 minutes ago, markh said:

There's a definite element of luck to pocket racing. On the final race for the first two attempts I flew off the track at the first corner with no chance of correcting it. On my third attempt, without changing the car at all, I won without needing to press a button.

Yup, I had that in earlier races - there's certainly RNG in them. But in that (I think by the looks of the progression) second-last race, it was just totally baffling that in two attempts back to back the car went at a snail's pace and flew off the track on a straight. I just couldn't figure the mods out there.  I'm sure I could given time, but like I say I don't feel compelled to go back to it now. 

On the other hand, TOTAL DOMINATION of the property market. Hmm...

(I fucking love that screen. If there were more X Kings to fight I'd be back like a shot.)

Hmmmm.

Back with Majima, and for some reason his heat level isn't rising during fights. All three bars remain black and I get the 'empty tank' bonus every time. All styles.

Anyone else had this? edit: wonder if it's an item of gear I have equipped; I'll check tomorrow.

Yup pretty much exactly that. With a brief sojourn at the Pocket racing whilst doing real estate and working on the Platinum hostess side stories.

Think I prefer the Real Estate over club management mind, as I could just use remote play and give Real estate minimal attention for maximum financial gain.

I do like Majima's unlocked move set mind. Brutal :) 

Aye. I'm up to 80 hours and still in chapter 5 because of the real estate stuff. Maxed out all 4 available sections but can't beat the Gambling King until I finally continue the story.

Planning to finish the Brawler training before I do that though! And the telephone club. And the associated substories. And the split bowling task. And getting a hi-score in SH-O.

Then I'll meet Oda for that drink.

I kept retrying the final Rush training until I avoided the attacks for 1 minute because Uncle Kaz deserves that.

I may have a problem.

2 hours ago, Superfamifreak said:

Yeah, one item let's you stay calm at all times, so it's probably that.

Doing the Premium Adventure now. 88 hours in and only 66% completion! 

Ah, thanks - that sounds familiar; must work to boost one or more of the unlocked moves you can get, or maybe just gives a good defence boost. But losing those finishing moves is not on.

Kiryu's charm that prevents enemies ganging up on you's a godsend; that really allows you to play with the fighting styles more (although Beast style is too tempting; when spotted, run to a location with 1 or more bikes/motorcycles, then it's all over within 2s and a 'Lightning Fast' bonus every time.

4 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

Aye. I'm up to 80 hours and still in chapter 5 because of the real estate stuff. Maxed out all 4 available sections but can't beat the Gambling King until I finally continue the story.

Planning to finish the Brawler training before I do that though! And the telephone club. And the associated substories. And the split bowling task. And getting a hi-score in SH-O.

Then I'll meet Oda for that drink.

I kept retrying the final Rush training until I avoided the attacks for 1 minute because Uncle Kaz deserves that.

I may have a problem.

I got the first four areas, then decided having to wait two cycles to purchase 1 new property was too long and just left it there, putting the money into abilities; did the Rush training in 1 or 2 attempts, even the final guy; the brawler was a little tougher, as the later one's require more heat and I wasn't building it up before attempting; haven't done all the Beast missions, yet.

What I like is that there's a style for bludgeoning your way through - Beast or Breaker; and a couple with more finesse (although Slugger is still pretty brutal). With Beast, the boss mission in 5 was dead easy.