rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mentazm

Retroarch

I know we have an emulator thread, but as Retroarch becomes more and more all-encompasing I think it deserves it's own thread.

msq8E.png

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/

When it works it's great, however it's very finicky. I've been trying to add some roms all morning and it just keeps freezing, going to have to reinstall I think.

What's other people's experiences with it?

I thought it was rubbish, constant issues, crashes etc. In the end I went for individual emulators from the Play store.

Personally, I love it. I got it just at the point when the revamped version came out and managed to get various games and systems working a treat.

However, I found a few problems with roms not showing up. Apparently that's because the metadata of the files I had weren't pristine. The only other issue I've had is saving settings/save files for games or platforms without overwriting them. I have a file for Diddy Kong Racing but it keeps pointing to the wrong location and loads up a fresh game each time. I've experimented loads with messing with different configs, deleting files, copying files etc. Nothing seems to work.

Overall though, I really recommend it.

Can it be used in conjunction with Steam? i.e. in Big Picture mode? I'd love to play RetroArch through my Steam Link on the downstairs TV is all.

I've tried Retroarch a couple of times - on both Android and my desktop PC - and found it to be an utter confusing ballache every time. It's hard to describe why I found it so difficult... I'm not an idiot and I can configure every other emulator I've used... but Retroarch fucked me right off. I never got it working to my satisfaction, I never got used to the menu system, and various crashes would happen often.

In the end I just found it easier - on my Windows PC - to use a specific emulator for each system. They may all have totally different interfaces and settings, but none of them are a bewildering ballache like Retroarch.

• Upvote 3

I have 2 versions running

1 on windows 10 - which has a full set of various no-intro stuff working nicely via steam big picture. I used a playlist generator tool I found on some random forum which grabbed the artwork and checked for invalid roms. Not tried it via steamlink as I also have...

1 on my Amazon Firestick, which runs SMS, MD, NES, SNES nicely using the 8bitdo sfc pad. Occasionally the controllers get mixed up and it wants to use the fire remote, but dropping out and back in again usually sorts it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

1 on windows 10 - which has a full set of various no-intro stuff working nicely via steam big picture. I used a playlist generator tool I found on some random forum which grabbed the artwork and checked for invalid roms. Not tried it via steamlink as I also have...

How did you get it running on Steam Big Picture mode please?

I may experiment tonight with some handy advice.

Just now, smithstock said:

How did you get it running on Steam Big Picture mode please?

I may experiment tonight with some handy advice.

I just added the shortcut to steam, start big picture with output to TV, and start Retroarch. Initially it will output to the monitor, but under Retroarch Settings > Video you can select the 2nd monitor, which will then flip it to the TV. Save the config and it'll output to the TV from then on.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I can check the configs tonight if you run into any issues. It's doubtful it'll run via Steamlink tho, as any non-steam shortcuts I have added don't tend to work, but it's worth a try.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I just added the shortcut to steam, start big picture with output to TV, and start Retroarch. Initially it will output to the monitor, but under Retroarch Settings > Video you can select the 2nd monitor, which will then flip it to the TV. Save the config and it'll output to the TV from then on.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I can check the configs tonight if you run into any issues. It's doubtful it'll run via Steamlink tho, as any non-steam shortcuts I have added don't tend to work, but it's worth a try.

No worries bud, spot on. I'll ping you if I get stuck.

I setup Retroarch today, together with ICE. This adds individual ROMS to Steam, allowing seamless integration with Big Picture Mode and the Steam Link. It works really well.

Use this guide!

Retroarch

• Upvote 2

I had this on Android but found it buggy and a real chore to get anything set up. Went back to using all separate emulators. I like the concept though and I can see more and more polished versions coming out and making single emulators redundant.

Getting your head around the install can indeed be a bit of a blag, but then once you get those CRT/scanline shaders running it's all worth it. I can't emulate without them now.

17 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I setup Retroarch today, together with ICE. This adds individual ROMS to Steam, allowing seamless integration with Big Picture Mode and the Steam Link. It works really well.

Use this guide!

Retroarch

You sir, are my hero. Incredible this, works a charm. 

9A982433-01BB-45AA-BFB4-CC4B02151135-12908-00000AEAE798467A_tmp.png

• Upvote 5

Awesome!

If you figure out how to get Saturn games working let me know! I installed the core and set it up as usual but nothing happens when I select the game...

I've not looked at the Saturn before. I know I had trouble with Dreamcast, PS1 and GameCube too. 

Going back to it later, I'll let you know if I get it sorted. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StoooTube said:

Yeah I also tried 3DO and could get that working.

I'll stick to cartridge based consoles...

Considering I had issues getting my 3.8ghz 970 PC just emulating SNES through it to be tricky, I think it really struggles with 32 and 64 bit stuff. I know I never managed to get a single neo geo game loaded. I gave up on it again after it just kept freezing when loading in SNES roms.

Really? SNES roms? It's always been flawless for me with that kind of era. I've got an i5 processor / 7700 series card. 

In saying that, I played Road Rash on Master System yesterday and couldn't tell if the game was janky or the emulation/streaming was playing up.

That solution from @StoooTube has inspired me to get back into this. I was looking to create a custom cabinet with Hyperspin but RetroArch + Steam Link does everything I need. Amazing!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Considering I had issues getting my 3.8ghz 970 PC just emulating SNES through it to be tricky, I think it really struggles with 32 and 64 bit stuff. I know I never managed to get a single neo geo game loaded. I gave up on it again after it just kept freezing when loading in SNES roms.

Think something might of gone wrong there. The old PC in my previous post was some ancient Pentium 4 dual core jobbie with a £30 Nvidia card stuck in it, and even that ran SNES titles. Ditto Neo Geo ...well the ones I managed to get working with all the bios faff.

If we're talking Snes and Retroarch here, there's several cores for Snes emulation, ranging from "ultra accurate" to "fast but messy"

I assume the accurate one requires a lot of power?

edit: apparently bsnes requires a fairly hefty PC while snes9x runs on a Nokia 7650...

The issue I'm having is that Retroarch is freezing/crashing whenever I try to scan ANY rom folder. It says there's no roms in my rom folders and when I try and scan anyway it freezes. It does this for any system. I've tried deleting it and reinstalling it, updating it, etc, etc.

Any ideas?

Sub folders, unzipped on all platforms. You have to specify the extension anyway following the guide above, .zip is not one of those extensions listed.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:06, Mentazm said:

I know we have an emulator thread, but as Retroarch becomes more and more all-encompasing I think it deserves it's own thread.

msq8E.png

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/

When it works it's great, however it's very finicky. I've been trying to add some roms all morning and it just keeps freezing, going to have to reinstall I think.

What's other people's experiences with it?

It's the main thing I use now, as it powers RetroPie. Has a few quirks with needing roms in certain formats for some cores, but other than that it's excellent.

On 1/8/2017 at 09:26, Mentazm said:

SNES and NeoGeo are great on a Pi 3. N64 is OK for some games but slow for others. Oddly, Dreamcast runs better than N64, but is still pretty slow.

3DO is fine too.

Are your Romsey in zip or sub folders?

No. Retroarch sees no roms in any folders and when I scan it CTDs. Tried reinstalling and same thing.

17 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

No. Retroarch sees no roms in any folders and when I scan it CTDs. Tried reinstalling and same thing.

There is an option under settings> Menu File Browser called Filter by supported extentions.

Try turning this off and also scan with the selected core. This fixed mine. 

Has anyone used multiple controllers using RetroArch, without conflict?

One works fine but adding a second causes the Start button to quit emulation instead. 

On 1/21/2017 at 21:31, smithstock said:

Has anyone used multiple controllers using RetroArch, without conflict?

One works fine but adding a second causes the Start button to quit emulation instead. 

Yep. I use a 8bitdo SFC30 Pro as player 1, and a 8bitdo Zero as player 2.