Revealing tales from achievements and trophies

dumpster

I'm looking through some of the trophies I have achieved on the PS4 and there are a few here that are quite revealing about the way the game must have been received by the players.  For example, my trophies on The Evil Within suggest that about 70 percent of players never got past the third level as my trophy for doing so is a rare one.  My trophy for getting an S rank on PacMan CE2 on the easiest level has only been achieved by 2% of players.

Are there any good examples you know of , where the rarity of the trophy shows you how people gave up on a game so quickly or similar revealing anecdotes? 

Only a small number of people have ever done it in that game since its original arcade release. The beauty of it is that if I remember correctly that 360 achievement is bugged anyway, even if you are Eugene Jarvis himself it doesn't unlock.  

I noticed over Christmas that about 20% of Forza Horizon 3 players hadn't got the achievement for completing the opening sequence of the game, which is about 10 minutes of driving with a bit of avatar creation in the middle and just requires you to finish the race, winning not necessary. Perhaps it included new purchases installed but not actually played yet or something though :s

It can be fascinating. I noticed the other day that I'd got a rare or very rare trophy in Infinite Warfare - it turned out to be a simple campaign milestone. Obviously publishers will be monitoring all this, which could be bad news for anyone who likes campaign modes. But then I'm probably as guilty as anyone - if I get a new open world game I guarantee I'll do the bare minimum required to open up exploration and then ignore the missions for ages. I expect it'd be very interesting to know the full extent of metrics fed back to publishers from our consoles.

I was just thinking that I bet when people take a game to a friends house or someone borrrows one for a couple of days it skews the distribution of trophys.  I figured that a lot of people must have tried The Evil Within and got sick of it around chapter 3, but maybe lots of people rented it, didn't like it, or similar.  I have an underlying reason for being intrigued because I have long felt that I buy fewer games than ever these days when new releases are so expensive, but do play a lot of games that a older (bought Doom and Infinite Warfare yesterday at £15 each), and I do wonder whether the future of gaming is to reduce the prices and make them smaller.  What's the point of an epic 60 hour extravaganza when no-one bothers past chapter 3?

On 06/01/2017 at 11:32, Rowan Morrison said:

It can be fascinating. I noticed the other day that I'd got a rare or very rare trophy in Infinite Warfare - it turned out to be a simple campaign milestone. Obviously publishers will be monitoring all this, which could be bad news for anyone who likes campaign modes. But then I'm probably as guilty as anyone - if I get a new open world game I guarantee I'll do the bare minimum required to open up exploration and then ignore the missions for ages. I expect it'd be very interesting to know the full extent of metrics fed back to publishers from our consoles.

I think developers have had access to this info since last gen. It's quite interesting for sure. You can maybe see why more games are moving away from big paid dlc packs to cosmetics and exploitative 'pay for a loot box' systems to fund ongoing development. 

Achievements were a great invention at the time but I honestly ignore them now, they're a nightmare if you're any sort of completionist. I absolutely rinsed Axiom Verge because it's brilliant, and even then I'm on 85% of them or something, because there's no way im attempting a single life run of it - it takes 2 hours per attempt, all for the sake of a trophy.

1 hour ago, angel said:

Achievements were a great invention at the time but I honestly ignore them now, they're a nightmare if you're any sort of completionist. I absolutely rinsed Axiom Verge because it's brilliant, and even then I'm on 85% of them or something, because there's no way im attempting a single life run of it - it takes 2 hours per attempt, all for the sake of a trophy.

Not really in keeping with the thread this. 

2 hours ago, angel said:

It used to annoy me that loads of Japanese games were terribly stingy with achievements.  Completing a 50 hour RPG and ending with 100 points was a bit of a downer.  

On 05/01/2017 at 19:38, deerokus said:

I noticed that only about 3% of Witcher 3 players (on Xbox one at least) have the achievement you get for starting the blood and wine dlc. Surprised and sad about that. 

I haven't got round to it yet! Game is so long and Gwent too good. 

42 minutes ago, Camel said:

It used to annoy me that loads of Japanese games were terribly stingy with achievements.  Completing a 50 hour RPG and ending with 100 points was a bit of a downer.  

Yeah i think my gf at the time completed blue dragon and didnt break 100pts.

I have the notifications turned off, and I don't look at the trophies at all generally. If I'm really enjoying a game sometimes I look, but generally there's one that screams obvious grindy bullshit or hidden ones so I lose interest in the idea of trying to get them all straight away and never bother to look again. Usually if I finish a game I'll have a look and see what percentage I've got, or have a laugh at things like BF4 where I played hundreds of hours but only got a few % of the trophies because they're all for the campaign.

Occasionally, a game is so amazing that I just want to play more of it, so I look at the list to see if it looks like it might be fun to try to platinum. So far, five games looked like they might be worth it (Skyrim, Fallout 4, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3), all from series I love and play to death anyway. I bothered to finish two of them, because all the others got boring and didn't seem fun anymore.

25% of players on ps4 have never gotten wood from a tree in Minecraft. Nearly 20% have never opened their inventory. So that means 5% have opened their inventory, but have never gotten wood from a tree... 

You can't do anything in Minecraft without wood, bear in mind that trophies only pop in survival... What were they doing? Running around looking for wood? Slowly dying? Wondering why they can't do anything... Poor wretches.

On 05/01/2017 at 13:47, dumpster said:

I'm looking through some of the trophies I have achieved on the PS4 and there are a few here that are quite revealing about the way the game must have been received by the players.  For example, my trophies on The Evil Within suggest that about 70 percent of players never got past the third level as my trophy for doing so is a rare one.  

There aren't any straight progression achievements/trophies in TEW, apart from the completion ones. I know because I was chatting to someone about how few people had finished it the other day.

10 hours ago, Danster said:

25% of players on ps4 have never gotten wood from a tree in Minecraft. Nearly 20% have never opened their inventory. So that means 5% have opened their inventory, but have never gotten wood from a tree... 

You can't do anything in Minecraft without wood, bear in mind that trophies only pop in survival... What were they doing? Running around looking for wood? Slowly dying? Wondering why they can't do anything... Poor wretches.

They played it for five minutes then realised it wasn't the same as watching it on youtube with some insane swede talking all over it

46 minutes ago, Broker said:

Surely they're the 25% who just play creative? I don't think I've ever loaded survival.

You don't get trophies in Creative AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

They played it for five minutes then realised it wasn't the same as watching it on youtube with some insane swede talking all over it

Yeah probably right.

But if I load the game, it will stick it into my list of trophies right? Then I only ever play creative and never load survival so never get any of the trophies? I know three or four people who own and play minecraft but have never played survival.

I think the FFXV ones are pretty impressive. 30% of people finished the story, over twice the amount who finished the story in Fallout 4. More people got the hardest ending in Dark Souls 3 (18%) than finished the Fallout 4 main quest (14%). 

More people found the three umbilical chords and fought the Moon Prescence in Bloodborne than submitted to Gherman. The platinum in Dark Souls is only 0.4% rarer than the all weapons trophy.