IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

Due to the current situation, decided to look over my pile of shame and realised I had hardly put anytime into this game.

Just passed the section called Bound Bowl Grand Prix now dressed as a clown (adore these outfits) in the Gourmet Kingdom. Loving all the varied and challenging level design. Proper loving this, some real surreal moments to put a smile on my face.

Exactly what is needed atm :)

• 2 months later...

Me & the lad are slowly getting to 999 moons in "lockdown" (is it still lockdown?). We were on 610 when i last stopped playing it. Truly a wonderful game, possibly the best jumping mechanic/physics of anything ever. Can't fault it really. 

In terms of just pissing about and jumping round aimlessly, it's probably my favourite game ever. 

But... Jump rope genius can go fuck itself. 

Had a Nintendo switch around 2 weeks.

Not long started this, first impressions are I love this and the moon collecting.

Having watched gameplay videos and lusting after this for long enough, it's a thrill.

I thought I might not get the cappy stuff, but that all feels so brilliant.

Have around 40 moons, over 4 stages.

I still need to fill the odyssey to get to the next section, but I decided to go back and collect moons from the previous levels.

I've finished every 3d Mario to date, I think they're all triple a in my book.

This far in, no different here. Nintendo delivers again.

It looks so nice too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 18:45, Wonderm said:

But... Jump rope genius can go fuck itself. 

Ended up using the moped glitch and knocking the R out of it's holding pattern in the square. No idea how I'd have done it without the glitch, absurdly hard.

A rare misstep that I think. Not many to go now. 

• 6 months later...

I finally started it this week after picking it up on the estore sale.

So far so good, it's perfect gaming for my limited free time. I'm about 70 moons in so far and have enjoyed all the kingdoms I've visited, it's all very easy though other than a few 'hat' rooms that I found quite tricky. 

When I look at the list of all the moons it's scary how many I haven't got yet in the various kingdoms despite doing my best to collect them. I guess it's nice to read this thread and realise that they aren't all available straight away. I certainly won't be looking to collect every one!

Great so far, probably prefer Galaxy just a touch but early days.

Interesting that there are quite a few comments about it being too easy. I didn’t find that at all. I guess in hindsight I didn’t find the first run through particularly challenging, but it’s so lovely and fun to play it didn’t matter to me at all.

Anyway, it certainly ramps up once you’ve finished the final boss, and yet again when you’re going back through the stages a third or fourth time to mop up the last few moons.

• 2 months later...

Started this over the weekend - oh my, it's just glorious, isn't it?

It looks, sounds, feels and plays like a dream - definitely one of the best platformers I've ever played.  Still have loads to do, and time will tell if it can reach the dizzy heights of Galaxy, but I absolutely love this.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got kind of burned out with the sheer number of moons back when this released and stopped at about 450 but I'm loving going back to it now. Can't believe it's been four years though!

My previous best at the jump rope challenge was 60, first attempt this time around.. 97. FML.

Edit: Crisis over, just managed 151!

• 5 months later...
43 minutes ago, layten said:

It's the best 3D Mario game.

fite me

It really, really is. Basically all of the best bits of the 3D Mario games to date, wrapped up in a bunch of gorgeous new stages and environments, and the cool cap possession mechanic.

Been playing bits of Super Mario Galaxy recently and I’m surprised at how plain it seems in comparison.

I think I prefer 3D World, but only because it feels like a 2D Mario game in 3D, rather than a whole new thing.

I'd be happy for the cap throwing to be included in all future games though, it's a good addition.

2 hours ago, layten said:

It's the best 3D Mario game.

fite me

I'd rather high five you.  Easily the best.  Perfectly paced, so great for playing for 10 mins or for 3 hours.  Just endlessly interesting, superbly designed, so many excellent nostalgia-tingling facets but still incredibly fresh and constantly engaging. 

I'm not sure how they could make a better game. 

And that forest level music, man. ❤️❤️ 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked this up last month. Playing through with a 6 year old & 4 year old watching on a big TV from the sofa together.
It's pure joy. The creativity of the game makers is mind blowing.

I've had a few special shared gaming moments / memories over the years & this is right up there.

Playing 4 player Golden Eye on N64 with friends after school...

Playing co-op Portal 2 on the Xbox360 with a flat mate in London...

Playing Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch with the kids. Magical.

On 16/03/2022 at 11:03, ckny said:

Been playing this in bits since I got myself the kids a Switch for Christmas. Played through New Donk City last night - now, I'm not much a gamer, but the end sequence with the festival was just the most joyous moment I think I've ever experienced in a game. This is pure fun.

The only way that bit could have been improved is if Mayor Pauline’s band played this banger:

20 hours ago, sjeh said:

I picked this up last month. Playing through with a 6 year old & 4 year old watching on a big TV from the sofa together.
It's pure joy. The creativity of the game makers is mind blowing.

I've had a few special shared gaming moments / memories over the years & this is right up there.

Playing 4 player Golden Eye on N64 with friends after school...

Playing co-op Portal 2 on the Xbox360 with a flat mate in London...

Playing Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch with the kids. Magical.

Same, dude. My 4yo son watches me play this and we have the best time. Sometimes he’ll ask to be Cappy but mostly he’s happy just watching. Really special memories. I was playing BotW yesterday and he cried for Mario 🥲

• 2 months later...