IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

2 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Co-op?!

Being streamed on Treehouse right now (you can rewind to see the co-op part). It's just a second player controlling Cappy. Just spinning around invicible; taking out enemies, collecting coins etc. Not a co-op Mario Bros team unfortunately but it might still be fun for inexperienced players.

17 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I wasn't bowled over by the new trailer at first, but after a couple more watches to take it all in I'm in love. Can't wait to play it.

Then I see images like this and I realise the scale of it, and how much hidden stuff and tricky platforming there's going to be:

F3301499-365A-4FC4-AD5E-3C07EF356CF6.thumb.jpg.1b62f176d7a1521785a6821ca1379553.jpg

It's going to be incredible.

Has any Nintendo folk said, "See that satellite dish? You can go there!"

Nintendo are really going big on the ol' dop effect aren't they! Not a criticism just noticing it a lot on their games, they use it really well. Their artists must be like kids in a candy store now. Dead jealous of them being able to create in Nintendo's playground.

It seems like there is a point to not dieing now. Lifes have always been an issue in the 3d mario games. You die... just restart.

So now when you lose, you lose coins too. Makes it a bit riskier doing things when you know you could loose a bunch of coins.

Also, this idea seems borrowed from Super Mario Run.

23 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

It seems like there is a point to not dieing now. Lifes have always been an issue in the 3d mario games. You die... just restart.

So now when you lose, you lose coins too. Makes it a bit riskier doing things when you know you could loose a bunch of coins.

Also, this idea seems borrowed from Super Mario Run.

They've also given coins purpose by giving you stuff to buy with them. So they've basically fixed coins being mostly worthless by giving you stuff to buy, and then fixed dying being mostly trivial by causing you to lose coins, thus affecting your ability to buy stuff.

I doubt it'll be terribly punitive all told. You lose ten coins per death so most people will probably easily still accumulate enough coins to buy whatever they want. But it might give players pause from constantly throwing themselves at a tricky challenge with no fear of penalty.

With Pauline in there, and it being New Donk City, you'd have to think so.

Maybe Pauline got married to DK and the pair are now advocates for the impending Bowser/Peach wedding. Mario has always been the one that has stood in both of their ways and now must be eliminated for the world to be happy.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Someone asked on treehouse if DK was in it and they said "we're not talking about that just now haha" 

DK Confirmed. 

Aren't they saying the same thing about cloud saves and Virtual Console though?

:(

I don't think I've ever seen a game where it seems like the developers are having the time of their lives being completely free to have as much fun as they want. I don't mind the mashup of styles - in terms of worlds Mario has never been interesting or varied. That was always my issue with Galaxy, I love void-like platforming but I want interesting worlds too. My whole reason to play games is to be surprised, I'll take trashy and garish art styles, some poor decisions, some bad game design if the overall result is a mixed bag of ideas that at the very least intrigue you into exploring new areas. That's all games are to me. Be as surreal and silly as possible. Those being precious about it obviously don't struggle with the motivation to play games. It still remains for me that any user created levels in any game is far more intriguing and interesting than the professional developer made ones, because for the amateurs logic doesn't need to exist, nor the kind of professional requirement to make sense - it results in complete freedom fuelled by a desire to express, and it's exciting.

I have zero motivation to play basically 99% of all new games released*, so it's doing something right that I want to play it. I mean, that's all I want. 'What's going on there? I want to find out'. It's pretty simple and overrides everything else, including taste and quality, which says a lot for how safe and conservative games have become, but it's different for everyone - if you're not excited to discover more why play? It's kind of crucial.

*it frustrates me so much that I can't be bothered. Not lack of time or money, just apathy. Like the one thing I need, just one thing, the desire to play to discover, just isn't there. I don't visit game websites or even discussion here (once every 4 months maybe - more at E3...which I forget is on..) so I'm not over exposed to them, it's just as soon as you see a game you know exactly what it'll entail, and very few have a sense of anarchy and wild reckless surrealism where anything goes. Generally, mascot games in the 90s had more of that and it eroded away with the move towards realism. The veneer of professionalism that gives even indie titles their slick presentation that makes them stand out can suffocate that wild abandon, i sense it and turn away - it's nice, and I'm sure fun, but i need that urge. You need to promise more. It's not nostalgia, or age - it's the reality of seeing and playing so many games. I think Dynamite Headdy is still more abstract and crazy than nearly everything since. When everyone is still so keen to play then there is less desire to reach further conceptually.