IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

Not sure if this has been noted yet, but on the Treehouse stream they said every kingdom in Odyssey is related to items connected with Bowser's wedding.

e.g. the wooded area is a giant greenhouse where the wedding flowers are being grown.

I just read on Eurogamer this game is coming from the same team that made Galaxy, hence all the crazy ideas. I'm sold, their imaginations are genius. Every planet on Galaxy was a joy because there were so many ideas in each one, you literally had no clue what they'd throw at you next. Also my DK prediction is that you won't be able to possess him but instead his barrels and give him a taste of his own medicine!

12 hours ago, scottcr said:

This theme captures Nintendo right now... absolutely on top of their game and full of confidence.  Brilliant.

Extra points for including the Donkey Kong theme from around the 1:30 mark.

On 2017-6-16 at 13:29, scottcr said:

Donkey Kong is going to be in this isn't he??

Fucking hell, please don't... That leads to the thought of a playable Donkey Kong in a 3D Mario game. It'd be cool if he played a Knuckles type role - a bad guy at first that turns good later after he realises he's getting shafted. 

Even being able to warg into him with the hat would be enough. 

Just looked at the E3 trailer. Looks sensational. I love the cap gimmick. I was actually laughing at some of the stuff going on in that trailer. My other half looked non-plussed by it all however. This might convince me to get a Switch. Who am I kidding, I will get a Switch anyway ;)

6 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Yep, Nintendo are being pretty conservative with their IP in Super Mario Odyssey. 

I mean, no one outside of this forum knows that DK was originally a badguy (and that's not even the DK we know from the Country games). But maybe if they treat SMO as some sort of reboot I guess I can see DK step up as a baddie (controlled by an evil tophat and everything).

I don't buy it, but I understand your viewpoint. Donkey Kong has been shoved up on every Virtual Console, pixel video, t-shirt...Vans. It's popular culture by this point. More people know DK's barrel-flinging origins than know who Pauline is. They're playing fast and loose, it could happen! Will the team who chucked T-Rexes into Mario resist the opportunity of a mischievous King Kong at last? 

3 hours ago, VN1X said:

There's no way DK will ever be a baddie again. 

If so I will eat my Cappy! :hat:

Donkey Kong now isn't the bad guy from the original Donkey Kong - current DK is actually DK Jr. The original DK is Cranky Kong.

So technically, he never was a bad guy.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Donkey Kong now isn't the bad guy from the original Donkey Kong - current DK is actually DK Jr. The original DK is Cranky Kong.

So technically, he never was a bad guy.

That's what I said three posts up DK. <_<

This appears as though it will be amazing, but I'm surprised by how (uncharacteristically) ugly it is for a major Nintendo game. It does have some visually appealing elements - some bits of the Mexican stage look nice and the 8-bit transformation is super - but overall, it's quite jarring at a time when Nintendo's artistic choices usually compensate wonderfully for a relative lack of power. 

Guys, Mario was the bad guy in Donkey Kong.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19321_5-classic-games-you-didnt-know-had-wtf-backstories.html

The WTF Backstory:

Except that Mario is the villain in Donkey Kong.

According to the game's manual, Donkey Kong was actually Mario's pet ape. Without even venturing into the shaky moral and legal issues of primate ownership, it gets way worse from there: The reason Donkey Kong escaped in the first place was only because Mario was abusing him. That's not our accusation; the manual spells that out, plain as day: "[Donkey Kong] is actually [Mario's] pet who was mistreated." The manual doesn't get really specific as to exactly how DK was being abused -- presumably because even jaded 1980s game designers figured that was some heavy shit to lay on a kid -- but it's not hard to fill in the blanks: Here's a screengrab of Mario sticking Donkey Kong in a cage, chaining him up, and what's that in his hand? A whip?

Has anyone who's ordered from Amazon got a delivery date? I ordered ages ago and managed to get it for £39.99 after talking to Amazon but they applied the discount manually and there's still no delivery date.

Just being paranoid but I've heard of orders like that on Amazon getting messed up.

• 3 weeks later...