IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Other than seeing the odd pic here or there I am refusing to watch any videos of this after the original reveal.

Something that I suspect is going to be this joyous and wonderful is something I want to see for myself with fresh eyes, not wondering when I'm getting to the bit I saw where Mario did etc etc etc.

Hope I'm not disappointed but I'm getting a Mario 64 level of excitement about this  

Sandbox was definitely mentioned in the Direct so that would fit with a M64 mould. 

Anyway, remember when Nintendo used to suck at HD visuals? They were always saying that they struggled to adapt, hence the dearth of games on the WiiU. 

Well, they're the king of visuals at the moment. You can just look at a premium game from them and yep, that's Nintendo, polished to within an inch of it a life and looking astonishing. 

I can't believe I casually ordered a switch from Tesco Direct yesterday using a £25 off coupon.

My intent was to finally play the new Zelda but I didn't order it at the same time as the switch so I went back and dropped a £5 off coupon.

Bargain to be had ladies and Gents. 

I'm now feeling well placed to welcome some Mario goodness back into my life.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/tesco-direct

On 08/09/2017 at 09:33, JPickford said:

Or maybe you alternate between Mario & Peach perspectives.  Like in Paper Mario games.

Much better to have Peach involved rather than waiting to be rescued.

Yep. Both my daughters play videogames and adore Nintendo stuff but they're getting old enough to realise that the hapless and weak Peach (apart from in Smash Bros) isn't really their thing.  They've both commented why Peach always gets kidnapped and then has to be rescued by a man and I can see their point. It's a dull and tired trope and I hope they make a few levels where Peach has to rescue Mario or they have to work together in parallel to defeat something or rescue Luigi.  I'm not up to speed on Japanese feminism but it would be nice for Nintendo to step away from this helpless woman theme.

They need Toad levels too or a Shy Guy level or something to build upon the exceptional Captain Toad levels of 3D World.

36 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Yep. Both my daughters play videogames and adore Nintendo stuff but they're getting old enough to realise that the hapless and weak Peach (apart from in Smash Bros) isn't really their thing.  They've both commented why Peach always gets kidnapped and then has to be rescued by a man and I can see their point. It's a dull and tired trope and I hope they make a few levels where Peach has to rescue Mario or they have to work together in parallel to defeat something or rescue Luigi.  I'm not up to speed on Japanese feminism but it would be nice for Nintendo to step away from this helpless woman theme.

They need Toad levels too or a Shy Guy level or something to build upon the exceptional Captain Toad levels of 3D World.

The big clue is Peach has her own version of Cappy (Tiara).   So I think it's happening.

Maybe, could just be the way Browser controls her - which is kind of worse. :lol:

I know it's a trope - but I really think you can't pick on Mario for it. It's a Japanese relic from the 80's and Peach did have her own game where the roles were reversed.

2 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

I suspect Peach will be playable at least at some stage. 

Also in Mario+Rabbids, Peach holds her own quite well.

I have a 3yr old daughter so don't really want just the damsel in distress thing.

I'm reminded of this neat ROM hack of Donkey Kong:

Now I want a version of the Odyssey trailer with Mario singing the theme. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

Maybe, could just be the way Browser controls her - which is kind of worse. :lol:

I know it's a trope - but I really think you can't pick on Mario for it. It's a Japanese relic from the 80's and Peach did have her own game where the roles were reversed.

I'm not sure that's a good excuse really. Sure Mario is from the 80s and it's tradition etc etc but there's no reason it still has to be this way now. A regressive trope isn't inherently worth keeping just for tradition's sake. 

It won't affect my enjoyment of the game at all but it would be nice if they could start looking beyond this. 

Nintendo Store has the Super Mario Odyssey Switch bundle available for pre-order for £329:99 -

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-console/nintendo-switch-with-red-joy-con-controllers-super-mario-odyssey/11553478.html?widget_id=744299

You also get a 2 year warranty if you buy from there.

The snazzy red Super Mario Odyssey themed Switch case is also being sold separately for £19:99 -

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-accessory/nintendo-switch-accessory-set-super-mario-odyssey-edition/11553698.html?widget_id=744300

I kept saying this would never come out in October but it is. I was wrong. It was a quick development though so it's probably going to be one of the worst 3D Mario game ever, not that I think people will care because you know, dinosaur in a hat etc.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Tell them Peach is taken for political reasons, she's the main symbol of power in the mushroom kingdom. Mario is the only one to save her because he's come in from another world. All the men in the mushroom kingdom are a) mushrooms and b) useless.

20 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I kept saying this would never come out in October but it is. I was wrong. It was a quick development though so it's probably going to be one of the worst 3D Mario game ever, not that I think people will care because you know, dinosaur in a hat etc.

How long was this quick development? How many working hours?

Dinosaur in a hat? AWESOME!

21 minutes ago, Capwn said:

How long was the development then?

This is a weak troll attempt.

32 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Mate. If you're going to troll, at least be good at it.

5 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Seriously, just look at galaxy/world compared to Odyssey. They have these elaborate designs and color schemes. Odyssey looks rough around the edges to me, even compared to SMG1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you watching the videos the wrong way?

It's just stuff like below, looks so noisy/incoherent to me? I'm obviously cherry picking here, I've seen nice shots too. Ultimately I think it will be a bit like BOTW where perhaps it looks nice when playing but if you take screenshots away from iconic areas it looks dated. Still, I find the visuals of this game more appealing than 80% of games out there so I'm not complaining, just pointing out that the difference in polish compared to SuperMarioWorld really stands out to me personally. I guess it's to be expected, SMW is linear and this is a huge open world thing. So there is a tonne more content to create.

image.png.1db6d32734dfe9321df397a1bf384de6.pngimage.png.6d40abbbc1156aa6fc55292dba0bbf50.pngimage.png.99f58a1bba63ebcc913dad4aae5d3e5b.png   

I don't massively disagree with Capwn on how Odyssey looks.   I think Sunshine,  Galaxy(s) & 3D World looked better visually.   It wasn't really till this latest trailer that it really clicked with me and I thought it looked ace.

I disagree with the half-baked 'short development' stuff.  There's no basis in fact there considering we've no idea how long it took to develop.