Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

2 hours ago, boybrown said:

i've gone digital with Amazon. £41.99 but if you top up £25 on an Amazon gift card you get a free fiver! so £36.99 for my first (main) digital game. 

Not sure when i get the code from Amazon though. Hopefully its early so i can pre load and miss the inevitable slow crawl of the servers at midnight 

It should already be added to your account if you look at Gift Card balance. If you used the other offer where you bought a gift card instead of a top up the £5 is deducted automatically from your next order. 

2 hours ago, boybrown said:

i've gone digital with Amazon. £41.99 but if you top up £25 on an Amazon gift card you get a free fiver! so £36.99 for my first (main) digital game. 

Not sure when i get the code from Amazon though. Hopefully its early so i can pre load and miss the inevitable slow crawl of the servers at midnight 

I went through a fair bit of rigmarole yesterday and did 3 different offers and ended up with £16 of free credit.

Only £5 of it counts as gift card credit. If it's that that you've got, then you can use it on a digital preorder. If it's "promo credit" which expires in a few months, you can't use it on digital preorders and you have to use it on stuff sold by Amazon, not other resellers or even things like "Sold by Amazon Media EU S.à.r.l." which is what stuff like PSN credit is sold under.

Slightly annoying, as I now have £11 of credit that I can't use on Mario.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

So far I've bought the coffee, Quality Street and mince pies, but I accidentally ate those last night. More pies required.

It's Octoberfest here, so after I pick up my game and call in to McDonald's on the way home for my traditional McD's x Ninty meal (large, 9 nuggets, mustard + BBQ dips) I'll be heading out for some beers/steins in between bouts of playing. What the wife doesn't know is that I've got a little bit of weed stashed here (I'm still banned), so I think some cheeky little one-skinner joints are in order. I can blame the red-eye on the beer and playing too much. Can't wait - I just need to somehow get them all pre-rolled so I'm not farting about wasting time on the day.

3 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

Thinking of picking up the Mario Odyssey console bundle. Any absolute must-haves to get accessories-wise?

Not really, you've got everything you need right there. If you're planning on taking it out the house though I'd recommend a case, and perhaps a screen protector. 

9 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

Thinking of picking up the Mario Odyssey console bundle. Any absolute must-haves to get accessories-wise?

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Not really, you've got everything you need right there. If you're planning on taking it out the house though I'd recommend a case, and perhaps a screen protector. 

Yep I'd see how you get on with it first of all.  Some people really take to the joy cons, some don't.  I really fancied the Pro controller so went and got one but it's by no means essential.

Yeah the pro controller is fantastic and I don't think anyone would regret owning one, but you know it's 60 quid or there abouts. 

Mario Odyssey makes use of separate joycon control too and according to Edge is the best way to get the most out of it. 

That's the great thing about Switch. It's relatively expensive but you get a lot out of the box and it offers many different ways of playing.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yeah the pro controller is fantastic and I don't think anyone would regret owning one, but you know it's 60 quid or there abouts. 

Mario Odyssey makes use of separate joycon control too and according to Edge is the best way to get the most out of it. 

That's the great thing about Switch. It's relatively expensive but you get a lot out of the box and it offers many different ways of playing.

YMMV with that though, I have the Pro controller and have hardly used it, tend to use my switch in handheld mode predominately

Just now, MikeF said:

YMMV with that though, I have the Pro controller and have hardly used it, tend to use my switch in handheld mode predominately

Agreed. It's hard to recommend stuff and as sprite says best to see how you get on. No point spending 60 quid on something you'll rarely use.

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

It should already be added to your account if you look at Gift Card balance. If you used the other offer where you bought a gift card instead of a top up the £5 is deducted automatically from your next order. 

sorry i meant when do i get the email from amazon with the download code. I've already purchased Mario with the gift card.

52 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

Give the joy cons sometime as well. When I got my Switch I didn't like them at first and went and ordered pro controller. By the time the controller turned up the cons had clicked with me and I never used the Pro.

Also don't be surprised to find yourself playing the Switch differently to how you envisaged it. When it was announced I was one of those doubters dismissing it as 'a home console you can take anywhere' and fully expected it to just be a handheld that plugs into the TV. But when I set it up and saw Zelda on the big screen I was completely sold on the idea, and mainly played it in that mode.  

It's a console that defies expectations.

I hardly use my Switch in handheld mode and given the choice would choose TV mode every single time. I would just hurry up and buy a Pro controller if you're that way inclined. I got one while I was still playing Zelda so have probably had somewhere close to 100 hours of use from mine between that, Mario + Rabbids and Splatoon 2.

I think I paid £65 for mine as well which seemed horrendous at the time but I've had so much use from it and it's so much nicer to use than the joycon grip that it's fine. I'm sure I'll get another 50+ hours out of it from just Odyssey.

I love my pro controller. It’s one of the best controllers I’ve ever used. The battery lasts for ages too, but the joycons are great. 

I like playing in an a chair with the switch on a hour stand using the pro controller. 

I can’t get used to split joycons on anything other than ARMS though, but will try again with Mario as it seems to be the best way to play. 

Does anyone one know if you have to use a joycon each for two player or if one could use a pro controller and the other both the joycons? 

I do think people over sell the pro-controller.  Better to give the joyCons a try for a bit.   No harm in getting one later if you don't click with them.

What you get in the box is enough to be getting on with - there really are no essential day one accessories except perhaps a case if you plan to take it out of the house.

8 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I do think people over sell the pro-controller. 

This is almost certainly true. You get a lot of "best controller ever" stuff with both this and the Wii U Pro controller which I read as people trying to convince themselves that the stupidly expensive, non-essential controller they've bought is worth it. When it comes down to it, it's a ripoff of the Xbox controller and hasn't even got a headphone jack or analogue triggers, but it's very comfortable and does the job brilliantly for most games on the platform (we'll see how things like Rocket League fare without analogue triggers).

I'd agree that anyone should give the joycons a go but if you're not happy with them the Pro controller is almost certain to be worthwhile. I really don't like the shorter sticks on the joycons and it niggled me while playing Zelda. Even after getting one, playing handheld Splatoon 2 just didn't feel as good because of those shorter sticks.

Pro controller is essential for my money, the sticks are vastly better and the buttons/layout make it far comfier for me - that’s not to say the Joycon are not good it’s just the Pro (for me) is much better.

There is no buyer confirmation for me as I also have another set of Joycon, this is the machine that gets played with multiple people in the same room so 3 or 4 pads are essential. I also don’t get the “it’s just an Xbox pad” because that’s utter shite and such a stupid thing to say, is the PS4 pad just a dual shock because they have the same layout?

Forget what each pad has or doesn’t have and my best pads ever to actually play games on Pro controller >> dual shock 4 >> 360 pad. I don’t like the xbone pad much and that includes the Elite, both just make my hands ache after a while but I could use the Pro pad for days without issue (with comfort and battery) I love the Joycon but they are a great compromise rather than a great pad.

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I also don’t get the “it’s just an Xbox pad” because that’s utter shite and such a stupid thing to say, is the PS4 pad just a dual shock because they have the same layout?

I didn't say it's just an Xbox pad. It's a rip off of the Xbox pad's layout, which I'm perfectly fine with, but crowning it the greatest of controllers (which I've seen a lot of people do) ever seems ridiculous given the similarity.