IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

Just now, Jonzo said:

So is split joy cons the absolute way to go then? i shouldn't even consider the pro controller?

mmmm, the lovely pro controller. mmmm.

I'm finding it plays lovely with the joycons so I'd try that. It just feels like the way it's intended to be played. 

I’m finding the pro-controller to be perfect for this. Having no issues at all with any of the motion controls. Even the spin attack I do 99.9% of times by just letting go for an instant with my left hand and thengive the pad a quick flick to the right. Can see no reason to go split joy con at the moment. 

Mine got delivered today and I’m stocktaking so late night .

then as soon as I get home I’ve got to get dog and drive around for a couple of hours as she’s petrified of fireworks and it’s the big display tonight at local rugby club round corner .

guess I’ll play tomorrow afternoon if I’m lucky :(

I've played it for a bit this afternoon. I was in all day at work but I'm the boss so I took the afternoon off :)

It's glorious, it's wonderful, it's everything I'd hoped for so far and I've only got to the second proper place. There is so much content. Things to find everywhere. This is going to be a very long time sink - and that's wonderful as all of my Switch purchases have been.

I only have four games (I don't count Lego Worlds as that's for the kids) - this, Splatoon, BOTW and Mario Kart. What an amazing, solid gold little line up that is on my shelf.

The first "Letsa GO!" had me grinning like a little kid at Christmas. It's so charming.

8 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

I’m finding the pro-controller to be perfect for this. Having no issues at all with any of the motion controls. Even the spin attack I do 99.9% of times by just letting go for an instant with my left hand and thengive the pad a quick flick to the right. Can see no reason to go split joy con at the moment. 

I had to turn motion controls off when I reached one particular boss - awful.

Spoiler

mechanoid caterpillar that you fire at using a tank

Yeah played for about 4 hours this afternoon. I have done something like 5 kingdoms, although obviously not everything within each kingdom.

I must admit, there isn't actually a huge amount to capture yet. It's not like you can capture everything but each stage seems to have 2-5 things you can capture and make use of.

As usual for a Mario game, i have had great fun although i found some kingdoms more akin to Mario 3d world then Mario 64. I definitely feel it's more Mario Galaxy than that game.

Hoping to get a few more hours tomorrow with it too.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

It's just to the side like in the demonstration. Works every time for me.

Oddly, I’ve just booted it up again and it’s working every time, just as demonstrated. Either I’ve unknowingly changed my technique or the Joy-Cons were having a moment but either way, it’s working more or less flawlessly now.

The only issue I have with this game is the lack of mario-esque worlds.

I thought the early screenshots looked awful but the actual game looks great but the art style on some levels e.g. forgotten kingdom and sand kingdom looks like someone's farted all over their dev tools.

53 minutes ago, denisb said:

Mine got delivered today and I’m stocktaking so late night .

then as soon as I get home I’ve got to get dog and drive around for a couple of hours as she’s petrified of fireworks and it’s the big display tonight at local rugby club round corner .

guess I’ll play tomorrow afternoon if I’m lucky :(

Take the car to a quiet car park and play switch in tablet mode?

I’m enjoying this, still in the desert kingdom. I do wish they had better optimised the controls for something other than spit joy cons though. There’s loads of unused buttons on the Pro controller and when you’re playing in handheld mode the motion control stuff is a bit of a mess. 

I keep getting distracted and not moving on, I’ve gone from will on,y leave when I have 50 purple coins on NDC to 75...

On that note, NDC really shouldn’t work but the bit at the end is just fantastic, grin inducing magic that is so much fun to play it should be illegal!

2 hours ago, Oz said:

my favorite moment in gaming this year happened in the first 5 minutes of this :D

Hide contents

Mario saying ribbit ribbit

My highlight of the detail in this may be 

Spoiler

Ravioli

Spoiler

Leave Mario to idle for a bit 

I've spent over five hours in the desert area and still rampaging through at a strong pace unlocking moons. They're fucking everywhere. Sat on around 60/100 purple coins, so that's likely the true % indication of progress for the area.

Not been back to the Odyssey once since arriving here. I can't wait to see what the reaction is going to be when I go back with so many moons.

7 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I can't remember what console it was, but I'm tempted to relive the time I wandered into Game (may have been EB at the time) picked up whatever game it was and took it to the counter where the guy asked 'anything else?' to which I smugly replied 'yeah, the console to play it on'. He looked so surprised and excited (in my head probably but that's what I remember).

Sounds fun. Now I want to do that on Nov 7 with Super Lucky's Tale and an Xbox One X.

12 minutes ago, clippa said:

I see what moz means about the motion controls, there are loads of buttons that could have been used for the homing shot and climbing faster and stuff. Haven't had any real issue yet using the pro controller but I'm not that far in, just got to the desert place.

Seems fun so far.

Pro pad all the way thus far, only motion I use is the circle hat spin and that’s just a flick of a wrist so no really bother - seems thus far motion controls make it a little easier but are not fundamental to the game.