IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

7 hours ago, Stevedave said:

Mario looks so fucked up in the realism world. Hope the entire section gets cut it doesn't look right at all.

Seems unlikely given it appears to be the hub world. I don't mind Mario in a city, just not a fan  of oversized sprawling hubs. Give me Galaxy 2's menus any time. 

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

It better not end with a theme similar to SM64's. I always choke up when I hear that. 

OH THE MEMORIES. cry.gif

Ohh man, about 20 secs into the video and I want to play Mario 64 so off to get the Wii U but of course the pad range doesn't reach the bedroom, it bloody well used to but now I'm stuck watching West Ham on Match if the day - mind Andy Carrol just scored a belter :o

3 hours ago, sir shrew said:

Mario is human.

The humans in New Donk are completely different proportions to him.

So what the fuck is Mario? What is this sinister New Donk place?

It's just glaring incongruous design. Plus we've seen cities and realistically proportioned people in 90% of games and they look loads better than that. Just wait for that Spider-man game coming to PS4. 

I wonder why the taxis and humans even there. They detract from the Mario aesthetic and they aren't like "OMG look at this incredible recreation of New York!"

Everything I just said was perfectly summed up in those photoshops up-thread.

Does it matter? It's just one area of the game. One area of many. I get where people are coming from (although Sonic Adventure was a long time ago), but I'd take anything over the boring building blocks that make up the Galaxy games. It is at least a world and it has you wondering about the various star challenges within and everything it contains. I'd love to enter buildings and for it to eschew the realism expected, that way in a platform game you enter something that is bigger than it how it appeared from the outside. I want that unfolding of layers that you don't get from vast open spaces, to not see what's way over there and then get to it, but through the use tunnels, entering buildings/spaces, bridges, and tall landmarks obscuring the view of the other side of the map, create that surprise. The best example of this I've ever seen was in Banjo Kazooie, entering the giant metal whale in Clanker's Cavern, so unexpected, so thrilling to explore inside, it blew me away. 

There's so many areas shown already with a year away, I hope they're holding stuff back. Sunshine had the void levels to satisfy the pure platforming needs but I'd like Odyssey to mix the worlds with floating platform challenges, either when you enter buildings/structures or just what appears in the sky above. ..so there's a cloud that rains and wherever it moves it's raindrops hit the platforms...so crowds gather whenever you climb the highest buildings...

I love going over the same places, blowing up a secret wall in Metroid Prime late in the game, revealing as tunnel that takes you to another room, with a morph ball platforming puzzle, that unfolding of layers is videogaming heaven. Sunshine never really had any structures you enter that offered more platforming. The most memorable one in Super Mario 64 was probably the pyramid. 

I'd love the world transforming with each star challenge, I think they can surprise with the contrast of the next world being different or surprise with establishing each world and twisting it each time, there's wonderful potential in that which no platformer that I can think of has taken full advantage of. 

I sometimes wonder if the things I want are naff and cheesy/obvious, but a Mario star challenge that has you needing to infiltrate a building at night, to retrieve some Nintendo Picasso's.. Mario dressed as a burglar, making his way across a tight rope, spotlights catching him, come on, tell me you don't want to play that ! I do. Mario makes friends with the cool teenage Goombas that hang out in the dark corners of the city, spotted by the cloud of smoke that hangs above them, as they graffiti the walls, and you promise to steal Bowser's hat for them. 

Watching that video of all his moves, the animation is incredible, a real unexpected wow to it in a way that I got from watching Luigi's Mansion videos in 2002. The use of the hat looks more wonderful the more I see it, almost genius level of improvisation, after all these years to come up with that and find so many effortless ways to use it, to throw it and use it as a launch pad is so brilliant.

2 hours ago, dataDave said:

Aren't EAD handling it (64, Sunshine) rather than EAD Tokyo (Galaxy, Land/World)? 

That's got me slightly worried. 

This looks weird to me and I don't think the artsyle lends itself to looking as good on less powerful hardware in the same way 3D World did but I'm keeping the faith for the time being. 

3D World is my favourite Mario game ever so hearing this isn't by the same people is a bit of a downer. 

22 hours ago, VN1X said:

Christ that looks good! You can even do a bloody uppercut?!

And New Donk city looks a lot less out-of-place in that gameplay footage compared to the trailer. 

Looks like standard Mario movement. Well animated as usual but...that's it?

16 hours ago, Chooch said:

Yeah the whole Mario is human so all the humans in the city should look like him  angle of complaint is pretty pathetic. 

Differing opinions = pathetic.

Some people like the aesthetic, some don't. 

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

Not one 3D platformer has ever come close to Mario's movement. That wonderful inertia and weight that he has.

I wonder, has his center of gravity been borked since the 64 version? They've never felt right but maybe that was down to the way they've changed his models also.

Can't beat the 64 version. 

1 hour ago, MidWalian said:

Bouncing around the city with all these acrobatic moves looks so fun, there seems to be a lack of collectables in many of the levels shown though (they could ave removed for trailer purposes/ other reasons)

The weirdest thing about it is how little there appears to do in it. Very few enemies, no coins, no stars/shines. I'd put it down to being really early in development, which would be fair enough, but it's out in 11 months.

Still, I'm thrilled it's not another 3D World-style abomination. Miyamoto was making a big deal on the Treehouse stream about it being a 64-style sandbox after the previous Marios being overly simplified (he even included the Galaxies under this simplified header), specifically identifying Super Mario Run as the new alternative for players who struggle with camera controls etc.

The humans weird me out too. I'd be happy enough with the level if it was populated by Toads or Piantas or whatever.

But maybe it's good to get some weirdness back into the series. Since Galaxy they've been steadily honing a very particular aesthetic and there's probably not much further they can go with it. It looks like we've got a globe-trotting theme and a very varied selection of visual styles, I'm potentially down with that.

37 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

I wonder, has his center of gravity been borked since the 64 version? They've never felt right but maybe that was down to the way they've changed his models also.

Can't beat the 64 version. 

I don't think any two 3D Marios have been the same (other than SMG/SMG2, obviously), but I think they've all suited the games they've been in. The 'run button/eight-way control' Mario from SM3DW suited it perfectly, but wouldn't have been right for Super Mario 64.

Super Mario Sunshine's controls weren't great though. More Banjo Kazooie than Mario 64. The void levels would have been a lot better with Mario 64 controls.

2 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

The humans weird me out too. I'd be happy enough with the level if it was populated by Toads or Piantas or whatever.

But maybe it's good to get some weirdness back into the series. Since Galaxy they've been steadily honing a very particular aesthetic and there's probably not much further they can go with it. It looks like we've got a globe-trotting theme and a very varied selection of visual styles, I'm potentially down with that.

Well if its a seperate area, and we can assume each area has a varying style

Sonic 06 City Theme

Realistic Forest

Metal Jungle(?) - may be part of the realistic forest level

Mexican/Cold Pixar Level

Glowing Pastel Aesthetic Crystal Land

I hope this means theyre more varying styles, maybe a flat land or wooly world style level idk?

13 hours ago, Napole0n said:

Rayman 2 was really good too, unfortunately they borked it with part 3 and now it's only the pretty yet rather unsatisfying 2D games he's starring in. I think it's a shame the 3D platformer is so thin on the ground as a genre.

Rayman was ok. Klonoa is probably still my favourite non-Nintendo platformer. Ori's pretty good too - just the difficulty curve is a bit all over the place. 

7 hours ago, buizel said:

Well if its a seperate area, and we can assume each area has a varying style

Sonic 06 City Theme

Realistic Forest

Metal Jungle(?) - may be part of the realistic forest level

Mexican/Cold Pixar Level

Glowing Pastel Aesthetic Crystal Land

I hope this means theyre more varying styles, maybe a flat land or wooly world style level idk?

Makes it seem like he's traveling through various alternate realities instead of just traveling around the world.

Bowser broke something again.