IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

32 minutes ago, elmo said:
  Hide contents

Hold on, What am I missing? I thought those boxes just showed you were the unclaimed moons were?

As far as I can see, they:

Add even more moons to the kingdom you're in when you open the box. Is that not right?

All will become clear after 'finishing' the story

Oh, and to dive into water, you need to jump (b) and then press LZ and Y. Mario normally does the forward roll dive when on land, but if you do the same into water, it makes him do a cool little dive.

I love the little touches.

Go through a pipe whilst in possession of a creature and Mario transforms back into himself as you're entering with a cool little animation.

The mirror in the Odyssey actually reflecting Mario and whatever he's wearing, and everything having a physical presence inside, so you can jump on it.

I love how when I go to the next place in the Odyssey there's always a moon I spot that I've missed, just as I'm taking off, carefully placed so I'll return later. 

I love turning up in a new land with slightly inappropriate clothing. Like in real life when you return from holiday still wearing shorts or whatever and it's freezing.

Love how Mario kicks some things. You don't even need a button he just properly boots them. Kicking a pepper at a Goomba never gets old :lol:

5 hours ago, TommyG said:

Although there's a move in that video which I don't know how to do. At 10/11 seconds he starts his long jump, into hat throw, into bounce of hat AND THEN he does two little flick moves which allow him to then wall jump and reverse throw his cap to get up the ledge. 

How do you do the two little flick moves after a cap throw jump??? 

Answering my own question. There’s another jump that you can add after the first initial cap jump, I made a video here of a few....

59 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I love the little touches.

Go through a pipe whilst in possession of a creature and Mario transforms back into himself as you're entering with a cool little animation.

I like that the 8 bit Mario wears the clothes of his fancy new incarnation..

I'm at New Donk City now, the game has been absolutely amazing so far. 

The subtlety and variety of Mario’s control is so far behind beyond what anybody else can do I was wondering how significant or complicated the code must be, it can’t just be that everybody else is lazy - how do they make Mario so much nicer to control than any other game character (or if we knew the answer would everybody be doing it) ?

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

The subtlety and variety of Mario’s control is so far behind beyond what anybody else can do I was wondering how significant or complicated the code must be, it can’t just be that everybody else is lazy - how do they make Mario so much nicer to control than any other game character (or if we knew the answer would everybody be doing it) ?

Everybody else is obsessed with loot boxes, and those that want to make 3D Platformers are indie devs with not much of a budget available.

47 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Because up until recently most developers wasted over a decade trying to tell stories, crafting interactive experiences whilst trying to ape feature films rather than just making great video games. Nintendo never lost sight of this.

That this is a 3D platformer isn’t especially relevant in this instance, the same control issues should hold true for all third-person action adventure games.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

It's the Super Mario 64 movement, forgiving the slight refinements under the cover it's around 21 years old. Why hasn't anyone else caught up yet?

Didn't the pass the engine to Rare for Banjo Kazooie?

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Reveal hidden contents

A music menu! Play any music you want at any time!

I feel sorry for the Yooka-Laylee guys. Their Switch port is gonna get roasted after this.

Man, Yooka-Laylee was crap when I played it earlier this year, I dread to think how disappointing it'll be for people playing it in light of Odyssey. It's positively decrepit in comparison. 

20 hours ago, DC LEMON said:

You're already seeing what you need to see.

20 hours ago, pulsemyne said:

Well, you might want to look at the chap near the RC cars and notice something about him....he's missing something.

Thanks, both. I swear, I tried the obvious thing first, and when it didn't work I went looking bloody everywhere to find something to take to him. Presumably I just missed, so I guess it's back to New Donk!