IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

The environments outside of the city hub are fine but the footage of the city itself looks very uninspired. Design-wise it's just a flat plane combined with the stark verticals of the buildings. Jumping on taxis and climbing lampposts also aren't exactly the most exciting things I've ever seen in a 3D Mario. I hope it's just a compact space where you don't need to spend a lot of time.

Flying ship coming down in the background as Mario pops up out of the sewers suggests it might be the first level in the game and Mario has to climb up to where it lands.

Makes sense to start there. Bowser does some shit and Peach screams "MAAAAAARIOOOO" and he gest transported back to an odd city that references where it all began.

EAD Tokyo are incredible God like geniuses. If they say put Mario in a city with creepy looking people, put Mario in a city with creepy looking people because whatever they are doing with Mario in there will be awesome. They are one of the few Dev teams I've complete faith in.

19 minutes ago, scottcr said:

saddest story in a game every

I thought it just awful. The illustrations were nice enough but they got obliterated by that clumsy bright yellow font which tells a dreary mawkish story. Off the top of my head Ico and Limbo both tell much more emotionally engaging stories.

The game itself is, of course, absolutely sublime. The best outing for what is probably my favourite game series ever but Nintendo shouldn't bother with story beyond 'go rescue the Princess'. 

6 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I thought it just awful. The illustrations were nice enough but they got obliterated by that clumsy bright yellow font which tells a dreary mawkish story. Off the top of my head Ico and Limbo both tell much more emotionally engaging stories.

The game itself is, of course, absolutely sublime. The best outing for what is probably my favourite game series ever but Nintendo shouldn't bother with story beyond 'go rescue the Princess'. 

:(

I thought it was really really sad - and the music ... the music.

17 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

And off the top of my head Olimar's Diary from Pikmin shits all over both ICO's and Limbo's stories, proving once again Nintendo are the best.

Rosalina's storybook:

A young girl spots a star child called Luma in a broken spaceship. Luma is looking for her Mum. The girl offers to wait with her while she looks.

Finally, the little girl sighed and said to Luma, "If we stay here looking much longer, I'll be an old lady soon."

Which is indicative of how clumsy much of the prose is. They fix the spaceship and go looking for Luma's Mum. They haven't packed food so eat star bits instead. They see a comet and land on it. That night the girl has a dream about her Mum who also happens to be missing. Worth quoting this bit too:

Without turning, her mother replied, "Don't fret, dearest. I'm not going anywhere. I'm always watching over you, like the sun in the day and the moon in the night."

A wave of sadness washed over the girl. "What about when it rains, and I can't see the sun or the moon?" Her mother thought for a moment before responding.

"I will turn into a star in the clouds and wait for your tears to dry."

When she awoke, the girl's face was damp with tears. "You have Star Bits in your eyes!" said Luma to the girl. Wiping her face, the girl replied, "These are tears, not Star Bits. I'm crying because I'll never see my mother ever again!" At this, Luma began to cry too. "Mama, oh, Mama... waaaah!"

Waaaah indeed. Didn't really follow her Mum's point about turning into a star either - not sure how that's better than being a sun or moon from the girls perspective. I digress. They suddenly find tools and furniture buried in the ice of this comet so decide to build a house that's much to big for them. A planet appears with another Luma, the two Lumas start calling the girl their Mama which the girl finds inexplicably hilarious. Lots of other Lumas appear and do the same thing. Quite why the original Luma abruptly decided the girl was her mother after being with her for quite some time isn't really explained.

The girl then looks at her home planet through a telescope, realises she misses the place and wants to go home to see her Mum, "I knew all along that she wasn't out there in the sky!" which is a weird sentiment given they were never looking for her Mum, they were looking for Luma's Mum. Perhaps the writers forgot what their story was about in the first place.

The girls sad again so a Luma transforms into a comet, they all hop on, bake a cake and head back to the girls planet. FIN.

Quite where the emotional resonance is there I can't say. Even by the standards of a bad childrens book it's just incoherent dross. If it was in any other medium it'd never have seen the light of day. Cracking game, mind.

37 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Quite where the emotional resonance is there I can't say. Even by the standards of a bad childrens book it's just incoherent dross. If it was in any other medium it'd never have seen the light of day. Cracking game, mind.

I guess it was the first time some people here ever felt anything resembling an emotion and they never got really over it.

On 16/01/2017 at 16:21, Doctor Shark said:

It'll turn out to be some kind of weird, warped nightmare version of the real world, brought on by the coma Mario finds himself in after one too many hammer bros. attacks to the head.

One too many mushrooms more like.