rllmuk
Nespresso

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

3 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I hope this is the case for me as well. I’ve just reached the end of the game and it’s been a similar experience as Galaxy 1, in that it was hugely enjoyable and engaging but I wasn’t quite seeing where the tens were coming from. I liked some kingdoms a lot more than others. So far it’s a mid-tier 3D Mario, not a Sunshine but not a 64 either. 

There does seem to be an absolute shitload of postgame content though. I approve. Remember when 3D Land gave you *as many levels again* after the final boss? I mean they were remixes but still. 

Yeah, don’t worry about it mate. View the first play through as an intro to each environment, defeating the ‘final boss’ is where the game really begins.

I just finished this (saw the credits). I only have this to say:

Spoiler

SMASH THROUGH THE BLOCKS THAT BAR YOUR WAY (YEAH!)

NO TIME FOR FEAR, JUST LET IT ALL FALL AWAY (IT ALL FALL AWAY!)

NOBODY BELIEVES IN ME AND YOU

JUST LOOK AT THE WAY THEY STARE

SO WHAT IF WE LIVE IN A WALLED GARDEN AS LONG AS I'VE GOT YOU THEN I DON'T CARE

KICK UP THE WALL, AND TAKE THE PLUNGE

SHIFTIN' THROUGH TWO DIMENSIONS

UP ON THE MOON, WE'LL SMILE AND SWOON

JUST LEAD THE WAY (I'LL FOLLOW YOU)

I'LL PUT MY HAT IN THE RING, 'CAUSE YOU'RE THE ONE

A MIRACLE IN THREE DIMENSIONS

FOLLOW THE BRICK PATH STRAIGHT TO MY HEART AND WE'LL GRAB THE FLAG TOGETHER, THE FIREWORKS ARE GONNA START

Sublime.

• Upvote 3

If there's anyone in the early game thinking that this is all a bit easy, don't worry, some of the post-credit stuff is ridiculous.

I'm currently tearing my hair out on the (post-credits spoiler)

Spoiler

Dark Side of the Moon 

Spoiler

Hatless challenge door with all the bullet bills. Fucking absurd! And that's just for the main moon; I can see where the second one is, and I can honestly say I don't think I will ever get it, unless there's some trick to it I'm not seeing.

• Empathy 1

I think I know the challenge you're talking about. I got the main moon after a few goes but if the second moon is where I think it is then yeah....

13 hours ago, scottcr said:

Post credit spoilers!

;)

I've not finished the game yet, only just unlocked the cooking stage. You can go back to Cap Kingdom at any time. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dug said:

If there's anyone in the early game thinking that this is all a bit easy, don't worry, some of the post-credit stuff is ridiculous.

Hide contents

Dark Side of the Moon 

Hide contents

Hatless challenge door with all the bullet bills. Fucking absurd! And that's just for the main moon; I can see where the second one is, and I can honestly say I don't think I will ever get it, unless there's some trick to it I'm not seeing.

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable and satisfying moons to get. Also is that classic Mario thing of feeling impossible at first but once you've managed it, you realise it's actually really easy!

Get the key, drop down to the platform below and turn around as another Giant Bullet Bill crashes through the wall. There are a row of pillars in a straight line all the way back. Basically you want to do a long jump between every pillar, with a slight run when you land on each to maintain momentum and leap at the right time. You'll keep dying until you get the rhythm, at which point it's a really fun little thing.

Double spoiler, which is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember, and meant I actually had to do it twice:

When you arrive on the other side, you want the GBB to break the wall in front of you. As it tracks you, don't do what I first did and run over to the side to avoid it. because it will crash into a bit of the wall that doesn't break. You'll laugh at your stupidity.

Just duck in the middle of the wall and let it sail over your head and reveal your lunar prize for dexterity in the face of adversity.

• Upvote 2

lulz, I was shocked that they made a sprite of every outfit for the 2d bits and then it occurred to me that making the outfits in the first place probably took a lot more time and effort.

• Upvote 4

I'm reluctant to progress negate I don't want it to end. Spent yesterday mostly scouring old worlds for moons. Good to hear there's plenty of end game content. 

Currently in the Luncheon Kingdom which seems like a great world. 

Also does anyone else feel like paying for clues is cheating?

edit: I intermittently upload things to YouTube, mostly to share on here. I get hardly any views normally but I made one for how to do the Caged Gold moon and have got 1500 views in 3 days which is probably more than every other video I’ve got, combined. Ha. Shame Nintendo don’t let you monetise without going through the rigmarole of applying for their program (and then I think they take a chunk of everything on the channel, even if it’s non Nintendo! Hands off off my 7 cents, Reggie). 

Been mucking around in New Donk City for a few hours. What a level. It's like the Sunshine hub but with ten times the content. I just kept on finding doorways to new bits. I've scoured every inch of the place and I still only have like half the moons!

Particularly fond of (not really a spoiler):

Spoiler

Getting the moped up to the rooftop parking spots. Great challenge.

Also: Super Mario Bros 1-1 is in there. Of course it is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dug said:

Hide contents

Dark Side of the Moon 

Hide contents

Just got both moons in that one today!

Spoiler

You just gotta successively longjump across the blocks along the bottom.

• Upvote 1

390 moons deep and can't see myself stopping anytime soon. Not quite sure that it tops the Galaxy games for me, personally because I prefer the platforming in those, but it is outstanding and magical and everything else that has been said a million times already. I adore it.

• Upvote 1

I'm still pretty early doors in this game, but I just had an unexpected fight with

Spoiler

Bowser.

So unexpected in fact, that I turned up dressed in a swimsuit and diving mask.

Thank god the Odyssey was close by.  I nipped in and changed into my pants and top hat.  Ready to fuck him right off :angry:

• Upvote 6

I really wasn't feeling this for the first couple of hours, but once it gets its hooks into you, boy what a rollercoaster.

Quite comfortably the greatest plaformer ever made IMO

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Nah, you can't buy hints for all the truly bastard ones anyway.

8 hours ago, Larsen B said:

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable and satisfying moons to get. Also is that classic Mario thing of feeling impossible at first but once you've managed it, you realise it's actually really easy!

Reveal hidden contents

Get the key, drop down to the platform below and turn around as another Giant Bullet Bill crashes through the wall. There are a row of pillars in a straight line all the way back. Basically you want to do a long jump between every pillar, with a slight run when you land on each to maintain momentum and leap at the right time. You'll keep dying until you get the rhythm, at which point it's a really fun little thing.

Double spoiler, which is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember, and meant I actually had to do it twice:

Reveal hidden contents
When you arrive on the other side, you want the GBB to break the wall in front of you. As it tracks you, don't do what I first did and run over to the side to avoid it. because it will crash into a bit of the wall that doesn't break. You'll laugh at your stupidity.

Just duck in the middle of the wall and let it sail over your head and reveal your lunar prize for dexterity in the face of adversity.

You're exactly right! When I first attempted it, I was all like waaasjdhfjfirk how is this even possible???!!!

But once I'd calmed my tits and focused on what I was doing, it's not actually that bad. 

This game is so good.

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I try to do as much as I can on my own or with the parrot but I've paid for a few clues. When you're down to like 80/84 moons and the only clue the parrot give you is 'timed challenge number 1' it stops being fun to keep going over and over the level looking for the needle in the haystack. There were a couple in the seaside kingdom I don't think I'd ever have got without them being marked on my map. 

• Upvote 1

cant you use an amiibo to mark a moon? and repeat until you have all

or are they on a daily timer or something

i havent gotten around to try mine

I found the luncheon kingdom better than i was expecting. However, this kingdom also had the two hardest moons for me

the obstacle course one and the one where you navigate through the lava jumping across etc. Dunno why that bit too so long though, i just kept missing the last bit of lava to jump across the gap

Then i was pretty surprised with the section after this with the

dragon?! It kinda looked like skyrim that stage. It's kinda bizarre that nintendo have taken a realistic approach with certain things

In any case that unlocked the next kingdom which has been pretty good, especially the new character capture which is possibly my favorite.

7 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

I hate the internet it makes me do this :omg:

pGE1M9t.jpg

Wrong colour joycons but apart from that the best purchase you will make all year. :P

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I found the luncheon kingdom better than i was expecting. However, this kingdom also had the two hardest moons for me

Reveal hidden contents

the obstacle course one and the one where you navigate through the lava jumping across etc. Dunno why that bit too so long though, i just kept missing the last bit of lava to jump across the gap

Then i was pretty surprised with the section after this with the

Reveal hidden contents

dragon?! It kinda looked like skyrim that stage. It's kinda bizarre that nintendo have taken a realistic approach with certain things

In any case that unlocked the next kingdom which has been pretty good, especially the new character capture which is possibly my favorite.

It’s a direct homage to Dark Souls:

IT MUST BE A SIGN

• Upvote 1

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:34, Naieve said:

lulz, I was shocked that they made a sprite of every outfit for the 2d bits and then it occurred to me that making the outfits in the first place probably took a lot more time and effort.

The 2D outfits are great. The 2D sections are great.

They've basically ripped off Sideway: New York and adapted Galaxy's 3D and 2D mashup sections to fit that wall platforming theme, but witnessing old 2D Mario in HD with all those sprite representations of costumes and their playful nature does make them feel a bit Mario Maker too. Which is obviously a very good thing.

Oh shit, so that's why everyone was going mad about 'post credits'! :D

:wub: this fucking game. 

• Upvote 2