IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

It's probably me but there doesn't seem to be the same level of hype for this as for other main-series Mario games. I remember the lead up to Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy being feverish, but maybe all the spin-off Mario platformers (New SMB, Mario 3D Land/World, Mario Run) have made this one seem less special.

5 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

It's probably me but there doesn't seem to be the same level of hype for this as for other main-series Mario games. I remember the lead up to Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy being feverish, but maybe all the spin-off Mario platformers (New SMB, Mario 3D Land/World, Mario Run) have made this one seem less special.

Its ages away an there is Zelda and new hardware hype, come the summed/E3 and I suspect the hype will step up!

I think some of the areas shown look good visually, but they're the ones with more conventional Mario styles. The food level and the Mexican town level look great. 

Watching the trailer again, I actually think that forest level might look worse than the city level. That at least looks like a deliberate clash of styles whereas the forest level looks like one of those 'this is what Mario 64 would look like in Unreal Engine!' fan projects. The vaguely realistic looking landscape and forest backdrops just sit really oddly behind Mario's cartoony model. 

I think it looks desperate - a mario game born of needing a mario game rather than because some wonderful new mechanic demanded it. Hence the ADHD visual design and frankly insipid 'hat as platform' mechanic getting top billing.

It will be quality - of course it will - but it will be a sequel born of commercial requirement rather than creative genius and be most likely pretty forgetable.

18 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I think it looks desperate - a mario game born of needing a mario game rather than because some wonderful new mechanic demanded it. Hence the ADHD visual design and frankly insipid 'hat as platform' mechanic getting top billing.

It will be quality - of course it will - but it will be a sequel born of commercial requirement rather than creative genius and be most likely pretty forgetable.

If it's even just a little better than Sunshine though,it won't be the worst Mario game ever made ;)

17 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

My sons favourite mario game is sunshine . He admitted it during a destiny session with some forum members . The howls of derision will probably haunt him forever . Especially seeing as I joined in .

And now the moment is recorded forever ;) Does he post here?

There is so much utter bullshit in Mario Sunshine. The Pachinko level in Mario Sunshine still gives me nightmares just thinking about it. The shine where you have to very slowly push a giant watermelon around while avoiding the birds on the beach comes a close second. The bonus level where the piantas pick you up and throw you around is literally just trial and error. Yoshi's Fruit Adventure is a shine that actively hates the player and wants to waste your time. The final level in the boat inside the volcano is terrible and the final boss is easy but just plain boring.

It was clearly rushed because there's a ton of filler in it. Too many shines are just about cleaning shit up, you chase Shadow Mario a billion times, each level has two red coin challenges, there are 20 trillion blue coins. It peaks somewhere around the theme park level and then it's mostly downhill from there. The final proper level, the hotel, features practically no platforming at all. The outside is flat and is basically just used for cleaning up tasks and the inside of the hotel is ugly and tedious.

It has its moments, usually in the platforming void levels, but it's a bizarrely inconsistent and scrappy game for a tentpole Nintendo release.

The levels are good in themselves but it often feels like they were designed completely around one shine (usually the first) and then they just chucked in some random other tasks for the other shines. Take Noki Bay, such a gorgeous level and exploring it for the first shine is great - then it's find red coins in a bottle, fight a recycled boss, void level, chase Shadow Mario, etc etc. Admittedly the bit leading up to the void level is pretty good.

Ricco Harbour is the same, the central platforming area is fantastic but only actually used for two shines, the rest of the time you're knocking about on the quayside or surfing on the water.

5 hours ago, Majora said:

There is so much utter bullshit in Mario Sunshine. The Pachinko level in Mario Sunshine still gives me nightmares just thinking about it. The shine where you have to very slowly push a giant watermelon around while avoiding the birds on the beach comes a close second. The bonus level where the piantas pick you up and throw you around is literally just trial and error. Yoshi's Fruit Adventure is a shine that actively hates the player and wants to waste your time. The final level in the boat inside the volcano is terrible and the final boss is easy but just plain boring.

It was clearly rushed because there's a ton of filler in it. Too many shines are just about cleaning shit up, you chase Shadow Mario a billion times, each level has two red coin challenges, there are 20 trillion blue coins. It peaks somewhere around the theme park level and then it's mostly downhill from there. The final proper level, the hotel, features practically no platforming at all. The outside is flat and is basically just used for cleaning up tasks and the inside of the hotel is ugly and tedious.

It has its moments, usually in the platforming void levels, but it's a bizarrely inconsistent and scrappy game for a tentpole Nintendo release.

I know the blue coins where added due to time constraints but from what i understand everything else made it like it should have done.

It's the only 3d mario i haven't completed actually. I think it didn't help when a friend went ahead and completed it on my system right in front of me.

It's a shame because i remember the day it came out, i literally played it all day due to the fun i was having. I just kinda lost interest eventually as some of the shrines were horrendous to do. The blue coin challenge on that ghost hotel level did my head in, i think that's when i stopped.

19 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Sunshine had some lovely bits, I still think some of the void levels amongst EAD's best work with 3D Mario. Overall though it's wildly inconsistent. 

Those void levels are my favourite bits in a 3D platform game ever. There were lots of great assault course-style levels in Galaxy and 3D World, but after Sunshine they seemed to add more weight and inertia to Mario's movement and he never felt quite as good to control after that for me.

21 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Those void levels are my favourite bits in a 3D platform game ever. There were lots of great assault course-style levels in Galaxy and 3D World, but after Sunshine they seemed to add more weight and inertia to Mario's movement and he never felt quite as good to control after that for me.

Galaxy felt absolutely perfect to me and in my opinion it towers over Sunshine in almost every respect. Only thing I miss from Sunshine is the water cannon. Strangely satisfying cleaning up environments with it, scratches a weird itch for me. 

Sunshine was unfinished, but it is a long time ago now. Galaxy is possibly the best platformer ever, so good they made a top 10 platformer out of ideas they had left over. 3d World spun off a very decent puzzle game, just cos you know why wouldn't you have a great game in a completely different genre as an afterthought.

This looks ugly as sin at present. It'll be incredible, though. I don't think this is "they just need any Mario game" at all. I think it looks like EAD Tokyo chucking things at the wall and seeing what sticks. That team is insanely talented, and all the incredible stuff Nintendo have done has tended to come when they try new things, rather than just twist a formula.

I prefer Sunshine to Galaxy and have never finished Galaxy 2 :o

Part of that was just I hit a time when I didnt like games much but still bought them but I did always find Galaxy a bit samey - its still epic and I suspect if I played Sunshine back to back with Galaxy now I would change my mind but the summer spent playing Sunshine was special and I still own my launch JP game, only GC game I still own!

For all that I am super excited about this new one as it seems more M64/Sunshine than Galaxy!

I only ever completed Sunshine once, where as I have completed 64 a number of times and Galaxies at least twice each.

I really like the environments and how fluid the FLUDD is in combination with Marios acrobatic movements - I dont know why people cite FLUDD as the worse part of Sunshine. Those people like the empty block rotating stages without the backpack, and 3D World and 3D Land made 2 great games out of those mini-levels. Swinging from ropes round and round bouncing about wall jumping onto other junk super high up and that is so fun to me.

It felt rushed in regard of the Blue Coins and the samey enviornments - everything is Tropical more or less and that detracts from it. Whenever I play it I find the most fun in just bouncing around the environments with Rocket boosts and other stuff. A Sunshine sequel with a FLUDD pack that would act more like Diddys rocket backpack would be really awesome if they varied the environments.

2 hours ago, kensei said:

Sunshine was unfinished, but it is a long time ago now. Galaxy is possibly the best platformer ever, so good they made a top 10 platformer out of ideas they had left over. 3d World spun off a very decent puzzle game, just cos you know why wouldn't you have a great game in a completely different genre as an afterthought.

This looks ugly as sin at present. It'll be incredible, though. I don't think this is "they just need any Mario game" at all. I think it looks like EAD Tokyo chucking things at the wall and seeing what sticks. That team is insanely talented, and all the incredible stuff Nintendo have done has tended to come when they try new things, rather than just twist a formula.

Every single Mario reveal has garnered a lukewarm reception since the Wii, and the next lot of trailers is when everyone gets hype. That said, EAD's track record of making perfect games, along with a tigher control scheme (you can tell by how it looks) and a grander scale similar to Galaxy after the 3D series makes it look super hype.

The trailer is largely missing items and final polish, and it only showed us a small number of worlds. I think the E3 trailer will ramp up the hype

8 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I don't know. It's the first Mario game that looks ugly to me.  All of the levels shown look wrong visually.

Definately disagree, even if I think it doesn't match the visual appeal of Galaxy -  the space theme and extra shine and shooting through space we're so good for me.

We've only seen about 3 levels so far anyway and they all have a somewhat distinct style, and even running about the city the animations are lively and everything is interactive.

3D World has a lot smaller levels so the detail is more dense compared to this and arguably looks better.

mario-odessey.gif

I guess alot of this brings back a Galaxy feel and that was such an epic game, probably the most impactful game I'd played since 64. Maybe as a footnote it was a bit more realistic, in terms of shaders, textures and style which Mario 64 was aswell (as best as it could for the n64), where as Sunshine and 3D Land series are definately more cartoony (im not saying Mario is realistic at all, but relatively throughout the 3D series)

On 05/02/2017 at 01:38, pinholestar said:

No stone left unturned in that one... :blink: The time that some people are willing to dedicate to analysing trailers in order to eke out every last drop of detail boggles my mind sometimes.

Well it shouldnt if you have any failiarity to GameXplain. (that sounded ruder than it meant to, but no hostility)

They have been analysing trailers for years, and this analysis is one of their most hotly anticipated ones. This isn't just 'another gaming channel', their analysis videos often run for such length (this is technically their longest) and are followed up with discussions and other tidbits on the lead upto the games release.

Some gamers want every last bit of detail about games they look forward to, and GameXplain scrutinise and analyse at an insnae amount of level, and I love and appreciate it. Andres a great guy.