Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

On 29/10/2017 at 12:33, DC LEMON said:

I've given up on the jump rope. If something like what happened to @chamberlago were to happen to me, I don't know if I could cope.

Reveal hidden contents

DNTjqMdVoAAhoQs.jpg

The Dark Souls of Odyssey Moons.

At the time you posted this I didn't really understand because that was my first and only real attempt and I got my moon so missing out on an arbitrary 100 which is only significant because of our base 10 number system... then not long later I realised. Oh the pain.

Annoyingly I could then not even get close, not even 50 usually, I thought I'd never do it... 

BUT TODAY

Spoiler

IMG_20171118_171344.thumb.jpg.131fd091942ba121e2c3400c324a65ee.jpg

• Upvote 2

I’ve been off this for ages, hit a bit that stopped me and not had time to go back. So need a little help to coax me back, on a bit on the beach world.

Spoiler

Did the bits where you fire stuff at the octopus, but dropped down a hole going underwater but kept drowning. Couldn’t see any air bubbles in there. What gives?

5 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I’ve been off this for ages, hit a bit that stopped me and not had time to go back. So need a little help to coax me back, on a bit on the beach world.

Hide contents

Did the bits where you fire stuff at the octopus, but dropped down a hole going underwater but kept drowning. Couldn’t see any air bubbles in there. What gives?

I wonder if there's any sea faring animal Mario could possess?

• Upvote 1

I think this game is excellent (I'm well into the post credits collectathon), but I still prefer 3d World. I prefer the tigher structure of 3d world to the more open worlds and collection focused gameplay of odyssey.

Funny to read "Nintendo are back guyz!!!". 

Just because you didn't buy their excellent games doesn't mean they were gone :)

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, partious said:

Funny to read "Nintendo are back guyz!!!". 

Just because you didn't buy their excellent games doesn't mean they were gone :)

It kind of does though. No point having loads of great games if no one was buying them. 

I think with Odyssey it's considered the first proper 3D Mario sequel since Sunshine, and even the spiritual successor to Mario 64. It feels like they've stopped trying to appeal to people who don't like hardcore games and just embraced it again. 

My youngest daughter is a bit of a Mario demon and has done a few levels I gave up on, she is only 12 but seems a natural at it - I had to put a lot of hours in yesterday to surpass her moon total and restore the natural order in the household!

This game is incredible, just so much fun to play with a perfectly judged difficulty and end game that somehow rivals Zelda and doesn’t feel like a grind - I don’t know how Nintendo have released both games in 2017 alongside other greats like Splatoon 2 and Arms :wub:

What I love about it, and what marks it out as such a well designed game, is that whenever I put it on with no real goal in my mind, I always find myself getting moons and getting involved within minutes. It just pulls you in and gently coerces you without you realising it. So many open world or open level type games I just find myself wandering aimlessly or doing stuff and getting distracted. In this it never feels like time wasted. There's just no fat whatsoever. 

Damn you @Fallows! :P

X4KdZJV.jpg

For a moment there I lost all hope and thought my all-moon run came crashing down but thankfully I bested that fuckin' challenge. Took me about 10 minutes. Even had to get the Switch out of the dock to gently tap that jump button. 'Pro' controller my ass!

And somehow I managed to land the number 1 spot on the friends leaderboard for the Lost Kingdom race:

P0Vwpv1.jpg

Please don't take this away from me. You big meanies! Cry.gif

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Spent two hours trying to find the last three purple doofers and final moon in the Sand Kingdom and found neither.

Fuck yoooooo Nintendo.

Have you gotten the ones which are floating just over the edge? I believe left (west?) of the Odyssey? 

8 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I love the main game, but I'm not loving the post-game as much as the rest of you.

I think I will finish my second run-through of the Kingdom's, which will land me around 400 moons, and then I'm done. I can't see me wanting to dip back into this the same way I do with BotW, MK8, Splatoon and the player stats tell me I've played this for even less time than... Bomberman R (Odyssey is vastly superior, obv). The post-game unlocks (aside from the first big one) really disappointed me, and dented any motivation I had to collect more moons, it's a case of the game demanding more skill for diminishing rewards.

Get 500 moons. Trust me...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, spacedinvader said:

The three that eluded me were under a ledge on the platform on top of the inverted pyramid. Opposite side to the tunnel you come out of I think.  

No, I've done them all. As I said, I followed a guide. Went to every location. I'd already collected them all.

On 17/11/2017 at 23:16, TommyG said:

Holy smokes!! I just came in to post my humble koopa race video but that one above one is just insane...

Here’s my humbles...

I watched this a few times and couldn’t see how it was humanly possible but I’ve spent an hour literally just doing jump throw cap jump in it and dive and have now at least made the initial shortcut and posted a 44 sec time, with another 10 hours I reckon I could knock at least a second off..

I don’t my Cappy to you good sir :hat:

Start is good (ish) now, rest is a mess...

40 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I watched this a few times and couldn’t see how it was humanly possible but I’ve spent an hour literally just doing jump throw cap jump in it and dive and have now at least made the initial shortcut and posted a 44 sec time, with another 10 hours I reckon I could knock at least a second off..

I don’t my Cappy to you good sir :hat:

Ha thanks man. You’re not the only one, I went round to my friends house tonight and had to show him how to do the cappy jump. He couldn’t do it and just kept ground pounding! 

The thing is, once it clicks, it’s a revelation and opens the game up so much more. You no longer look at the next platform to jump onto instead you look at the one after that and the one after that even because you can transverse massive gaps with the greatest of ease! (Shout out to Gooteck and Mic Ross) ^_^

It’s like becoming Neo without the trench coat :lol: 

• Upvote 3