rllmuk
Nespresso

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Who was it who said getting to the end credits is just the training for the game? The real game is the post credits content. It's insane how much game there is in there for your money. 

• Upvote 1

Of the 3D Marios I’ve played (64, Sunshine, Galaxy and this), for me Odyssey is easily the best one.

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Who was it who said getting to the end credits is just the training for the game? The real game is the post credits content. It's insane how much game there is in there for your money. 

Yeah, I said the ‘main game’ is basically a tutorial for what comes next. It was 8/10 for me until I started the post-game stuff. It went to 10/10 fairly quickly after that.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure that's true but nothing in the main game has made me want to rush back into playing it which is something that Galaxy and 3D Land did. I'm sure I'll dip back into it and making a mea cupla post 6 months from now but at the moment I'm happy to stop playing.

I guess what Odyssey highlights for me is I'm much more involved with the exploration / secret hunting aspect of a Mario game rather than platforming 'difficulty' or challenge. 

This is the best Mario for exploring awesome levels. 

• Upvote 1

I finally did the Jump Rope Genius moon! I was convinced there was some trick to it after trying several times and never getting above 57, but after reading online that it really is all just about the timing I had a few more cracks at it and finally made it.

@JLMthat is exactly how I felt x 100 cos my 5 year old son was pulling moves just like Mario, dancing along, to a beautiful homage to Nintendo history. I dont think I have ever been so happy playing a video game. Really over the moon happy. This is why it's my game of the year... Maybe my game of the forever. I've loved Zelda for its technical prowess and complete ability to absorb me in its world but this game has made me almost... Almost cry with joy. So truly wonderful. I can't think of anything else that's done that apart from Mario 64 and Mario World. 

• Upvote 1

Nailed it:

DOtDZg-UEAAc5-L.thumb.jpg.616a31a7b867258d9aace526848622bb.jpg

The goodness in this game just keeps unfolding, it's like it comes in waves. Wave 1 is the story mission, guiding you through with a light enough touch that you want to move on to the next world, but not right now because I just saw something cool! Then wave 2 which is early post-game, nostalgia tripping and discovering just how hard some of the moons are prepared to be. 3 for me was back to the start, going to each world in order and discovering all the new surprises and things I'd missed. Now I'm on wave 4, which is racking my brain to think about what I said I'd come back to and hopping between worlds at will.

That wave's gonna be tricky, I think - it's becoming more of a puzzle-exploration game than a straight platformer. And I'm not really tempted to look specific things up, because while I'm hunting high and low, I'm always grabbing coins for clues from Toad and those final costumes and moons. I get the criticism that it's a bit of an artificial way to lengthen the game for 100%-ers, I suppose my stance will depend on whether I have to do a bunch of coin-farming at the end.

• Upvote 4

I only had to do about 10 minutes of coin farming to get to 100% during my run (which I only spent on toad hints). Admittedly I'm missing one costume and didn't buy any extra moons from the store, but I'm happy with that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joeplus said:

I suppose my stance will depend on whether I have to do a bunch of coin-farming at the end.

A big, big part of it depends on if you're happy with the actual total moons in the game or if you want to optionally max the counter.

I watched all of that speedrun. It's incredible that a few weeks after release the game structure can be broken so mercilessly, but it's a testament to the design how it's just Mario doing insane jumps. No glitch movements, just stuff the developers intended and players have perfected.

I love watching Mario speedruns. Mario 64 is still my favourite; the way he pirouettes through the levels is such a fucking joy, and while the Odyssey runs will never be as good (hearing the moon fanfare every ten seconds isn't ideal) it's still a hell of a lot of fun. Some of the levels are gobsmacking. 

50 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

A big, big part of it depends on if you're happy with the actual total moons in the game or if you want to optionally max the counter.

For me that's not an option, Mario brings out my completionist streak. I'm still annoyed that I couldn't do Champion's Road in SM3DW, it was fiddly and never that fun to get up to the point you'd failed at. Odyssey's equivalent is much better - a little less hardcore but a lot more fun to play (thanks to the whole control concept that is Cappy).

I'm on a lot of moons, so I was pretty confident I could watch a dope speedrun of this (normal ending) without spoiling myself for any obscure moons. 

If you really want to play this game unspoiled, don't do that!

I've got 45 hours on this so far. I love it so much. I don't think it will topple 3D Land as my favourite 3D Mario (I prefer the tighter platforming to Odyssey's exploratory focus) but I just love running around and I adore the Koooa races.

686 Moons at the moment. Haven't had to use a Hint Toad yet but I'm still missing moons here and there, Sand Kingdom in particular. I was 40 hours in before I even found that notorious volleyball bit!

• Upvote 1

My progress has stalled at 600 moons because Nintendo helpfully included a Mandarin language option, so my wife is now playing it constantly. Not a lot of consoles in China over the last few decades, so her experience with the series has been playing Super Mario Bros on a Famicom, then basically nothing until this. She's pretty delighted and amazed by it, particularly the goomba towers and 2D bits.

Maybe it'll be nice to take a break and return all refreshed later. Yeah, I'll tell myself that. It's fine.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've kept out of this thread for fear of spoilers. Is this going to beat BotW as game of the year?

It's a close call.  I think ultimately Zelda does it for me because it's a longer game, but for me they both have this amazing ability to make me feel like a kid exploring crazy videogames for the first time again! :wub: 

Nintendo are properly BACK, baby. 

I think BOTW has higher highs but lower lows than Odyssey and has more issues that I can pick up as points of potential improvement in a sequel.

Odyssey is more consistently excellent and has less easily identifiable flaws to me, but it's tough to beat those first 60 hours or so of BOTW where I was completely enthralled by the game in a way I hadn't been since Dark Souls.

I don't know which one I'll ultimately pick as my number one for 2017.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've kept out of this thread for fear of spoilers. Is this going to beat BotW as game of the year?

The Sophie's Choice of 2017.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Not a chance. It is totally amazing but doesn't have the breadth or depth of BoTW. When I first started playing Mario I did wonder, but now I've completed it and I'm going around mopping up moons etc, it's a pretty clear choice for me. I was still playing BoTW solidly after three months, but three weeks in and I've seen most of what Mario has to offer. 

• Upvote 1

One of my favourite ever gaming moments came right at the end of the final, final stage:

Spoiler

You battle through the flagpoles, the iron waves, the lava pits, the bit with yoshi, the moving cloud and the swinging panels.

You finally get to that very last platform and see a winding mess of electrical wires. Your heart sinks as you imagine a sprawling maze filled with fuzzies.

But then...

Spoiler

156233EE-2617-42F4-9937-762871F3337C.thumb.jpeg.e4d4be4959b63101ddaab86f5bacdacc.jpeg

:wub:

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Seen this'un?

Pure artistry. 

I’ve just got 700 moons, feel like I’m on the home run now. 

Is it better than Zelda? I just dunno. They’ve both gatecrashed my best games of all time list so that’s good enough. Cheers Nintendo. 

• Upvote 1