Ultra Street Fighter II High-payer Fighting

joffocakes

38 minutes ago, JLM said:

The throw change is pretty big for a number of characters. Blanka's tick throw game is the only thing that makes him viable as a character, so it's a pretty big nerf for him. As a Dee Jay player I'm all for it, though, as having an option other than a frame perfect reversal when Dhalsim is throw looping me to death would be lovely. Super Turbo is quite the hot mess of game, but it's past the threshold of people being willing to accept changes to it, so there will undoubtedly be a bit of nerd backlash. Like when they made a bunch of quite sensible balance changes to 3rd Strike, and any version that incorporated them was seen as a shitty and inauthentic port.

I must admit I do sort of admire that stubbornness, particularly in the patch-happy culture we have now. I like seeing how a game develops in its broken state and the ingenious solutions people find to deal with the madness. Ideally I guess I'd want the option for the developers to fix things but also for them to keep their hands off unless it's essential for them to intervene, and "correctly"  determining when that would be is impossible, so what I want is not actually achievable, but by god I will have a grumble when I don't get it. :D 

It's kinda weird, yeah.  Back in the day we were all willing to accept any change Capcom added to Street Fighter, but now that Super Turbo has been so entrenched in the position as the definitive Street Fighter II game, any proposed change is now seen as sacriledge, even if it came from Capcom themselves!  

31 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

That is an insane amount of damage for a 5-hitter.  That said:

• How come he can juggle for 5 hits?  I thought that, with Sagat's Fierce Tiger Uppercut being the exception, there was a limit of 3 hits?  Is this a tweak?

You could definitely juggle up to 5 hits in ST with characters that weren't Sagat.

Yeah ST is wonderfully busted with random unblockables, touch of death/re-dizzy combos, randomised damage and stun, truly next level option selects, Honda being able to option select three Ochio inputs out of every block string with zero risk and massive reward because command grabs have no whiff animation, ST Balrog making everyone complainingabout SFV Balrog look like right wimps, what Tokido does with Vega........ 

The magic of it is that, over the decades of playing it that have allowed all of that madness to be discovered, people have also found answers to almost everything too. It's very very match up heavy and there is loads of stuff that should break the game but people are so insanely good at it that they have achieved a sort of workable balance. 

So perhaps it isn't a hot mess actually. Excellent game with a world of hidden jank under the surface + 20 years of frightening dedication = Balance.  Or something. 

Regardless, I love it to death and still enter it in tournament every month despite the real ST heads in my scene (who only play ST and travel across Europe with CRRs and arcade boards) outclassing me so badly that I might as well not be there. 

The online aspects are pretty bare-bones too. Somewhat expected given how sparse the package is as a whole but still disappointing.

• You can't create lobbies of more than two players.
  • The only options for creating lobbies in Ranked are Region, Control Type and Opponent Skill  (plus # of Rounds, Friends Only and Time Limit in Casual, though that's 99 or 60, no infinite).
  • The presentation for the lobbies is basic, little more than each player's name, flag, title and settings.
  • Character select is blind however but there is no option to ban characters (several opponents so far have lost to my 'gief and switched to Akuma).
  • When a set of Ranked matches end you get a message which says sometime like "The maximum match count has been reached" and you're chucked out to the menu. It feels more like an error message.

The Color Editor is odd too; it's designed so that you can slide the cursor with the touch screen (though it felt inaccurate and fickle to me, I failed a few times to grab the shade slider) but there's no real consideration for folk using a traditional controller; moving the cursors with the analogue stick or shoulder buttons takes aaaaaages. It's daft. That said I was was quickly able to turn Ryu into Dan and that made me happy.

The game itself is great, though. It plays like Super Turbo and that was always a very fun game. The JoyCon "dpad" is great; I've not had a problem with double-fireball motion supers or standing 360 Spinning Pile Drivers. I haven't tried any charge characters yet. It's definitely far better than the Xbox 360 dpad was for Street Fighter IV, at least. I'm more confident with it than I am with the Vita's dpad in Alpha 3 (particularly facing left) and the Vita's dpad was decent.

Lite mode is daft. Not as daft as SFIV on 3DS (which let you tap a button for a sonic boom then immediately flash kick, meaning Guile was often your impenetrable opponent) because when you tap the button you've set as a shortcut for that special Guile will crouch for 60 frames or walk back for 60 frames before doing it. You can still make use of it in combos because, if you've already maintained the charge yourself, a quick tap will execute the move imediately (or charge for the remaining length of time first if you weren't quite there). It's a far better implementation but it does still allow for some daft stuff with those command throws JLM mentioned: you can hammer away on Zangief's Super while continuing to block and, if the opponent is ever vulnerable and within range, the Super will get them. It's wild.

I'm gonna try the JoyCon half style soon; that's how most of the battles will be fought, I'd imagine. It's so cool being able to play it anywhere like that. Just a shame it's not a more polished package overall, considering the price of it.

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

I remember, didn't you buy it from the heritage market, or did we just look? I think I waited and bought the US import in the end. 

nah got it from the chip shop, you defo waited for the usa version and grabbed a converter. That was around the same time you dropped a whole chicken curry on your leg which dyed our carpet neon yellow and had the same effect as an alien hit with a pulse rifle when it landed on your leg. And my set up was a snes official joystick bluetacked to massive subwoofer speaker, that kept flying off in times of intense battle.

Hahaha! Christ, that curry. I remember spraying an entire can of Lynx on my jeans to get rid of the smell as I had to go to work from yours. The bus I was on stank :lol:

Dammit that memory has made me want this now.

Glad this release isn't getting defended, and I figure now that they've announced Monster Hunter, Capcom support will be still fine.

Disney Collection is criminal not to be announced yet, though.

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

bought this from the nintendo store as i wanted the poster, its arriving Wednesday 

utterly stupid

Mine has arrived today. Flat packed in an A4 sized carboard flat box. Poster is great

7 hours ago, ulala said:

How on earth do you play this game on an analog joycon.

do you not need a digital d pad?

I play KoF holding it like a tiny arcade stick with my finger and thumb pinching the analogue. That's a 4-button game though, so it's not really an option for Super-T or anything non-SNK.

4 hours ago, ca18s13 said:

Mine has arrived today. Flat packed in an A4 sized carboard flat box. Poster is great

Mine too!!!

Cant believe how well implemented the joycon controllerstick is, been playing with the pro controller d pad too and both feel great and not really compromised.

For all the grumblers and rightly so on the price I have to say the Artwork gallery is worth the price of admission alone.

if anyone fancies a few rounds and sees me online id love to.

4 minutes ago, Dave White said:

For all the grumblers and rightly so on the price I have to say the Artwork gallery is worth the price of admission alone.

I wondered if the gallery was maybe the main reason the price was so high in the firstplace. It's mostly scans from an art book which still sells for over £30 on it's own, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I wondered if the gallery was maybe the main reason the price was so high in the firstplace. It's mostly scans from an art book which still sells for over £30 on it's own, isn't it?

its basically a compilation of from what i can see all the capcom artworks that are out of print.

General changes: 

The main new additions are Violent Ken and Evil Ryu. As glass cannon variants of the original shotos, these characters have huge damage potential but reduced health. Violent Ken in particular has the second lowest vitality and stun in the game, after Akuma.

As for changes to older characters, Vega can no longer attach his claw and he has lost access to his Double Scarlett Terror from Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Honda can no longer do his inescapable Oicho Throw against an opponent in the corner and both he and Chun-Lin have lost the ability to store the final input of their super. Special move inputs are now easier to do, throw damage has been reduced and you can even escape throws as you would in later Street Fighters

Source

EDIT: More:

So the speed may be a bit faster than "Turbo 1" on Super Turbo but almost no one played it at that speed back then. 

A load of my opponents in Ranked change to Akuma after a they lose the first match. He's apparently been nerfed a fair bit from his Super Turbo appearance but he's a total nightmare to get in on as Zangief.

The input-delay netcode is really hard to get used to coming fresh from Street Fighter V: Failing to punish shoryukens all over the place!

I know its rookie stuff but make sure you set your region to the same and, dont start the fight if the bars are low on your opponents connection. Ive only had some lag when ive been impatient and not made sure the above were in order.

My 15 win streak just got knocked off by a lovely blanka player, wish you could give a thumbs up icon after a match