Ultra Street Fighter II High-payer Fighting

joffocakes

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

I'm tempted by this simply for the sake of nostalgia - not really into fighting games but loved this back in the day on the SNES. 

My main concern is whether there is going to be any value in this for the casual player online (I don't have many local friends to play with unlike when I was in my teens!). Everyone here sounds pretty hardcore, and whilst I'm ok at pulling off the odd special move I expect I'd be a completely walkover to people in this thread. 

Are you finding the general standard online to be pretty high?

I'm crap at Street Fighter - even though I've played every iteration over the years - and always play as Ken or Ryu, but had some great matches online earlier with people my level. I assume it Rank matched with someone low skill like me.

Saw the digital version of this in Smyths for £29.99 if anyone's interested. I'm torn as to spend another £30 on a Street Fighter game (bringing the total to 7 that I've owned). And to be honest, I'm not sure if I actually enjoy Street Fighter II...

So what's the best game to compare this to? Super Street Fighter II? I'll have a blast tonight and see if I get in with it!

It's comparable to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo -  definitely not to Super Street Fighter 2, which is the weakest of all the SF2 games imho.

You can either check out the arcade version on mame or check out HD Remix on the last-gen consoles.

Mr Gerbik is right - Super Turbo is the version before Ultra, and is the one that introduced significant features (juggles, super moves, overheads), whereas Super is two versions back and missing those significant features

EDIT: M Bison v Ken - why is there slowdown?

Having watched a friend stream this yesterday, I decided to jump in. Wish I'd seen @moora's post about Smyth's selling downloads, but I figured £35 wasn't going to break me. And, having played it this morning, I'm glad I got it. Violent Ken is fucking beast, and will push me even further ahead of all the non-experts I get to play things with locally! It plays like Street Fighter II, which means you've got a chance of getting out of the corner once you're trapped. There's something nice about having loads of the extras that only reward the super hardcore players stripped out. Balrog is eminently beatable, and nothing like the nightmare he is in SFV!

Only thing I would ask for is the ability to name my custom colour fighters. I changed the skintone of Cammy to a nice dark brown, gave her the blackest hair possible, but then was disappointed that I couldn't name this new creation Blammy.

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

If I buy the download code from Smyths, do I need to get it from a store or do they email it to me? 

Their webpage is confusing. 

Thanks!

I think you might have to go in-store and then pick up the code (or maybe even box). Although I'm not certain about that!

The cases in the shop looked like the normal ones, but they had "Digital Download Code" printed over the front.

• 3 weeks later...

So, did this do well? Anyone here played it or still playing it? It feels hella weird playing Street Fighter with a pad, haven't done so since 1993 or thereabouts. Arcade sticks ever since and I didn't play Blanka back then, so that made it even weirder. On top of that I haven't played Street Fighter properly in ages ever since abandoning vanilla SF4 and the HD Remix lobbies on 'muk dying out. Still, it went well! Dove into a casual match with some dude who also happened to be a Blanka player! He had lots of BP though so I was sitting there with my controller thinking, this won't end well. But apparently once you go full Blanka*, controller  type doesn't matter and I managed to win every match with each one getting more one-sided as I got used to the Pro Controller. Either that or the other dude was a bit shit :lol:

*don't try this at home kids

Well, I sort of agree since this is just HD Remix again and that was, what, 10 quid back in the day?  But I just bought a Switch and wanted something else besides Zelda which I had already played on the Wii U. Full price I would have skipped this, but it's currently 30 euros new here in Holland. Must have not done well for such a big price drop so soon (it was released at 65 euros iirc???).

Biggest drawbacks so far - unless I'm mistaken, private lobbies are 1 on 1 max? And there's no way to invite someone on your friend list directly from the game? Unless I'm missing something, that isn't well thought out at all.

9 hours ago, probotector said:

Guys...stop supporting this BS.

Refuse to buy it.

It's worth £15 tops.

Stop telling people what to do. 

Worth is subjective. A lot of people will get more fun from this than other similarly priced games. 

I've not yet bought it, but probably will at some point. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've had more fun with this in one evening than with SF5 from launch up until now! So yeah, it's very subjective. 30 euros was the right price for me

Ah don't listen to him, just some joke troll account.

You got a pro controller right? I've heard mixed things about the d-pad, how do you find it? Joffo picked up a brooks convertor so he can use his arcade stick but that only works in docked mode - and it's kind of hilarious when your controller is bigger than all the other bits of the console put together but I'm still tempted... I picked up a 8bitdo FC30 pad, but the analogue sticks are too mushy and I don't like the d-pad so I'm still using a single tiny joycon and my game goes to shit as soon as I get excited. All the same I had a fun casual lobby for a couple of hours last night with some french person who mostly kicked my arse but I got the odd win.

38 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Worth is subjective. A lot of people will get more fun from this than other similarly priced games.

Exactly. I paid the same price for the Uncharted collection.

That said, USFII is missing a load of stuff that could greatly improve it (lobbies for more that two players, off and online tournament modes, team battle etc) and the netcode feels like a step back from modern games (the Switch's weak Wi-Fi might be a factor there). The strength of the new characters doesn't promote much variety in online randoms.

For me it's worth it just for instant 2player versus on the go. I'd pay the same price again for USFIV. Or III! Or Worms.

EDIT: re: controllers. I generally play using the JoyCon "dpad". It might be the fact this game's inputs are lenient compared to old-school SFII but I think it's absolutely fine. I prefer it to The Pro pad.

1 hour ago, jiroczech said:

You got a pro controller right? I've heard mixed things about the d-pad, how do you find it? Joffo picked up a brooks convertor so he can use his arcade stick but that only works in docked mode - and it's kind of hilarious when your controller is bigger than all the other bits of the console put together but I'm still tempted... I picked up a 8bitdo FC30 pad, but the analogue sticks are too mushy and I don't like the d-pad so I'm still using a single tiny joycon and my game goes to shit as soon as I get excited. All the same I had a fun casual lobby for a couple of hours last night with some french person who mostly kicked my arse but I got the odd win.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

EDIT: re: controllers. I generally play using the JoyCon "dpad". It might be the fact this game's inputs are lenient compared to old-school SFII but I think it's absolutely fine. I prefer it to The Pro pad.

Didn't like the button d-pad on the joycon at all, but the Pro was fine. Keep in mind that I always use sticks for SF so I'm no expert at judging how this dpad ranks compared to others. I played only as Blanka, all my moves came out and I won every match - that's enough for me to say it's a good dpad for SF. No doubt that getting my ass kicked by either of you two will make me reconsider and blame the controller! :D

Weird as it sounds, I kinda want all 2D Street Fighter games on the Switch now after playing this. Zero 3, 3rd Strike, vs SNK 2 - all playable wherever and online. I can see me getting back into Street Fighter if they make it so!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DC07 said:

It's good that they're adding (sort of) new characters, but if your name's not Violent Ken, I'm not picking you.

They didn't add Shin Akuma; they just revealed the code to play as him (the code is the year of Street Fighter's release).

2 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

No clue. I saw a Capcom Japan tweet which (I think) said no changes to balance but that's all I've seen.

So literally nobody knows. Excellent :D

I'm hoping they'll add proper lobbies at some point but tbh can't see it happening