Ultra Street Fighter II High-payer Fighting

joffocakes

Capcom have said that sales of this exceeded their expectations. Makes me hopeful for other formats following, I'd love to have a well-populated version of SSF2T on PC. Always thought it was weird they didn't release the first HD remix on there.

Outside of Japan and offline tournaments, most of the Super Turbo revival scene play on Fightcade at the moment. An official PC re-release with good netcode and some of the nice extra features (especially the training mode) from Ultra would be cool though. Ideally would want it to be based on Arcade Super Turbo though, or at least have HD remix style DIP switches to give players the option to play it unsullied.

31 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

I'm assuming you mean a Steam version - Super Turbo was on PC just over 20 years ago.

Yeah, I said 'well-populated' (ie, online) so naturally on Steam. Didn't really think that was ambiguous but never mind.

HD Remix was consoles only (i.e. Xbox 360 and PS3). 

I also noted this? :unsure:

Fightcade scares me as a total scrub to be totally honest. There's rarely more than one or two in Europe playing whenever I've checked too, so that's my justification for chickening out.

• 2 years later...

Anyone else still playing this?

I love it, only had it 2 days.

I've invested thousands of hours into street fighter V and 3rd Strike.

But never so much with sf2. Maybe a bit of time with hyper fighting.

I actually like what Capcom have done here.

IMG_20200530_185742.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only an average fighter, I put the difficulty on world warrior and I've had some amazing battles.

For the most part, net play is fast. Some days I've had 4 requests from different players in one round.

I like how the timing is more complex. 

It's so much fun.....!

IMG_20200614_010541.jpg

18 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

Please could anyone talk me through the technique to pull off an Ariel spinning bird kick.

I'm not getting it...I'd love this in my game. Couldn't pull it off in hyper fighting either.

Thank you x

I don't have the game to test it but if the command in USFII is the same as it is in Super Turbo (with Spinning Bird Kick being charge back then forward + kick) then you can charge down-back then jump backward, quickly pressing forward and kick once you're in the air.

Doing this during a forward jump is muuuch trickier. You have to do the same down-back (or just back) charge then input up forward with a slight delay before you press kick (too early and you'll get her Tenshokyaku "up-kicks" instead). I just tested it in Super Turbo and managed it twice in 20+ attempts.

And easier way to get a forward-moving air spinning bird kick is to hold back as you jump backward into the stage wall, then tap forward to do her wall jump and then quickly kick for the air SBK. It's so high she's out of the screen during its active frames so it's even more useless than the move already is.

You might find it easier if you use Negative Edge. All special moves in all(?) Street Fighter games can be performed by doing its motion then letting go of an attack button, rather than pressing it. For example as Ryu you'd press and hold punch, do down, down-forward, forward and then let go of punch and he'd still do a fireball.

Negative Edge is useful for air specials since no normal attacks will activate from a button's release so you can quickly let go of all three kicks in sequence for triple the chance at the timing without risking an unwanted jumping kick.

I don't think air spinning bird kick is too useful anyway though. It's mostly used when jumping back to help build super. I'm no expert in SFII though.

I've clocked a few hours short of 70 in a few weeks.

I did play street fighter v pretty heavy for 2 years...more than this.

I like it, I just don't know how to get good.

Not really interested in my rating but I float at around  500pp and my bp for Chun is over 3000.

Last 2 weekends when I had a pint, I played and Changed search to any rating,

Beat a couple of guys with 3000pp but mostly I'm average and have every chance of losing to 

A rating lower than my own.

Going to double dip anniversary, my Ps4 broke around 48 hours before I got my switch, which I had it on.

I like it. I find sf2 and sf4 similar, and the 3rd series akin to V.

Edit..

Had a friend request off someone who had clocked in 27 hundred hours!

• 1 year later...

I finally got this a month or so ago. Amazing game. I can't be bothered with SFV - SFII is where it's at for me.

One issue though - the joycons are crrrrrrap! Do not use them for this game. I today got myself a pair of Super Nintendo Switch controllers - so perfect!

4 hours ago, bumgut said:

Get the capcom collection:  

SF Alpha 3 and SF 3

you’ll love it and they iron out the few flaws SF 2 had.

The 30 year Anniversary game? Got it already (on PS4)!

Before that I got SFIII as a download on PS3, Super Turbo HD Remix on PS3, Hyper SFII on PS2, Street Fighter Collection and Street Fighter Collection 2 on original PlayStation... (yes I love Street Fighter).

And yes I will get the Capcom Fighting Collection game coming out later this year.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot, I also got Alpha Anthology on PS2

• 2 months later...

Very late but I finally got this game today (big thanks to Dave White for selling it to me). I was under the impression that this would be pretty close to HD Remix but is it fuck.

First of all, the new music is naff compared to the HD Remix, err...remixes (those should have been in Ultra; Honda, Cammy, and Dhalsim HDR tracks are sublime). I also can't use the new sound effects because Cammy is my main and her new VA sounds like a bloke. Again, I'm assuming these are new voices for Ultra because I don't remember this in HDR.

More importantly, the control is absolute WANK. I'm playing this on a Switch Lite so I don't know if the d-pad is worse than regular joycon d-pads (never owned a standard Switch so I can't compare...) but I'm seriously struggling to get QC movements to register. I also can't get the Satsui No Hado supers for Akuma/Evil Ryu to work and I've been doing those for years upon years over the generations of SF (and Darkstalkers if you count Morrigan's Darkness Illusion).

Had a lot more success with the analogue stick but that just feels so wrong for a 2D fighting game. The last time I had to resort to a stick was with the OG Xbox version of MvC2 (another vile d-pad).

Are there any decent and reasonably priced joycon alternatives? I don't want to spend megabucks on some obscure import-only device as I can just revert back to HD Remix on PS3 for my "updated" SFII fix or even Hyper SFII on my PS2, but I would like to put some time into Ultra and not be held back by these bloody controls.

@megamixer allow me to introduce you to the 8bitdo M30 controller - inspired by Sega’s 6-button pads and replete with a full d-pad for perfect quarter-turn inputs. 

Link

You will have to re-map the buttons, so light, medium and heavy attacks correctly correspond to the Sega left-to-right layout (not the reversey-percy Nintendo one).

I can also recommend Retrobit’s Bluetooth Saturn controller, which is a fair chunk cheaper, although on the whole I prefer the aesthetic and build quality of the 8bitdo. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

@megamixer allow me to introduce you to the 8bitdo M30 controller - inspired by Sega’s 6-button pads and replete with a full d-pad for perfect quarter-turn inputs. 

Link

You will have to re-map the buttons, so light, medium and heavy attacks correctly correspond to the Sega left-to-right layout (not the reversey-percy Nintendo one).

I can also recommend Retrobit’s Bluetooth Saturn controller, which is a fair chunk cheaper, although on the whole I prefer the aesthetic and build quality of the 8bitdo. 

Thanks 😀

I will give the M30 a go. As an old-school Sega fan, the Saturn controller sounds sexy, but the price of the M30 is very agreeable, especially if you say the build quality feels a better.

Personally I think the Super NES controller is the best.  Works fine for me.  Agreed the Switch controller is AWFUL for this.  I also agree with the music and sound effects - I've stuck it on "classic"

I ordered an M30 so just need to wait on it now.

Will also add that Violent Ken is like a cheat mode for this game. Even battling the controls, I tore through arcade. Ken's cheesy fierce combo is ridiculous with Violent's higher power.

Yeah the M30 is an excellent pad for fighting games on Switch. Special moves are a fair bit easier in USFII than in any other version of Street Fighter II so you shouldn't have any issues once you have a pad better suited to the game.

Okay, I've been using the M30 this evening and WOW is it the nuts. Absolutely perfect control at last! Now I can enjoy USFII properly.

Still not consistent on Akuma/Evil Ryu's super but I've decided that this game has to have one of the strictest input tolerances for this specific move that I have experienced out of all SF games. I lost a fight at one point by messing up the input and getting hit by a fireball that KO'd me lol. Any other Street Fighter game and I'm blasting those supers out without even thinking about what my fingers are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing this until I get my hands on a physical Capcom Fighting Collection and the majesty that is Hyper SFII.

Question: does anybody know how to fight Shin Akuma? I know how to face regular Akuma by going 2-0 against every opponent, but I must have done something else today because it was Shin Akuma in pink with double air fireballs that showed up at the Bison stage. I know how to select Shin Akuma to play as but can't find anything definite on how to actually trigger his arrival as an opponent.

Just curious.

3 hours ago, Smoothy said:

When you go against Akuma that IS Shin Akuma, I'm sure?

No there's both which is what threw me.

Shin Akuma didn't debut until Alpha 2 so his inclusion in USFII is a new thing as far as SFII goes.

Get to the end of arcade as normal without dropping a round and regular Akuma appears in black.

However, I must have done something different this one time as it was the Shin version dressed in pink/purple. At first I thought it was a palette swap by the game for some reason but, no, he threw double, fast moving air fireballs and was generally just more aggressive. I beat him and received a new title upon returning to the menu.

I can only assume you need to do something with a specific quota of perfect wins or super move finishes. I know I had a few of both on that particular run but I can't remember the exact number.

You can play as Shin Akuma by highlighting Ryu, Ken, Sagat, and Bison in specific colours and cancelling out of each one before holding L+R on the random select (the cheat is easy enough to find online). He is even named as "Shin Akuma" and becomes available on the colour edit mode after using him.

The double-air-fireball-throwing no-dizzy Akuma has been there since Super Street Fighter II Turbo, that's what has since been called Shin Akuma (he wasn't named in the game itself, while the name Akuma came out later on).  You could play as him with a code in the same game too, but with no double-air-fireball throwing ability- this version of character is what has since been called just "Akuma".

To me you were playing "Shin Akuma" the other times too.

EDIT: Watch 13:50 onwards