IGNORED

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

mdn2

I'm so close to jacking this in. The bit late on with the cliffs and the boss afterwards is driving me bananas, not to mention the huge reliance on RNG for unlocking blades, item drops, shop availability, etc.

I've still only been able to cook one thing on one occasion in the 70+ hours I've been playing - just can't find the ingredients anywhere.

It just feels like an unfinished mess that's trying to bilk as much time out of you as possible. It's a real shame as when it gets going it's absolutely wonderful.

Wahey! Decided I wanted a proper attack blade on Rex instead of Ursula (sick of her being stuck on L1 affinity, too), so this morning I tried out some commons with Great Axe and Lance, and decided the latter was more fun.

Cut to this evening, and I find two rare core crystals in a white chest. Pop one open with Rex and straight away get Vale, a dark element Lance user with a goth loli thing going on. Pretty excellent passives (including one that boosts damage a cumulative 25% for each special you use) and incredible attack speed. I can reliably provide L1 & L2 of a blade combo with her, with Poppi providing a nice meteor-shower coup-de-grace at the end.

That’ll do, RNG. That’ll do. 

Tried the last boss

died 

I'm level 73.

I've played nothing but this game since it came out... but given that I need to level up a bit and go grind out some side quests and affinty... I'll step away for a week or so before going back in.

Just hit a boss in chapter 3 and am being pwnd, so it looks like I will have to do a lot of grinding. Not enjoying it even after 20-25 hours. I loved the first one.

The battle system is not satisfying, and looks horrible. I don't mind grinding usually, but this is a pain as it's hard to even see what is going on.

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Tried the last boss

Reveal hidden contents

died 

I'm level 73.

I've played nothing but this game since it came out... but given that I need to level up a bit and go grind out some side quests and affinty... I'll step away for a week or so before going back in.

That’s surprising. I casually went into battle with this party...

...and whooped his ass. He almost pulled off the cheesiest of cheesy boss moves by wiping us all out with one hit out of nowhere but my tankiest of tanks Tora survived it and the resurrected like a true MVP.

Then after the credits I went back to square up to Territorial Rotbart who crushed us like ants yet again.

DUt1rXlVMAIjBx0.jpg

See I didn't really need to grind until the last boss :S And the battle system while not spectacular was not all that bad if i'm honest. I don't think it's explained well at all to be fair but didn't stop me enjoying the game ^_^ If I had hundreds of hours spare I'd play through again (I may do one day)

@scottcr

Spoiler

I was level 70 and can see why you would struggle, it's that boss move that wipes everyone out >.<

If you get him down to around a third of his health, make sure you have built up plenty of orbs around him i.e. around 4 of them and then use your team special. Break an orb on each round and you can really rack up the damage (as in I hit millions) and you can take him out before he uses the boss move then ^_^

9 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

That’s surprising. I casually went into battle with this party...

Hide contents

...and whooped his ass. He almost pulled off the cheesiest of cheesy boss moves by wiping us all out with one hit out of nowhere but my tankiest of tanks Tora survived it and the resurrected like a true MVP.

Then after the credits I went back to square up to Territorial Rotbart who crushed us like ants yet again.

DUt1rXlVMAIjBx0.jpg

ooft -

3 blades I don't have in there... the bottom position ones on both Rex and Nia.

I use Morag instead of Torra - I never really got my head around making Poppi more powerful.  Is Poppi QTpi worth having?

23 minutes ago, Purin said:

Just hit a boss in chapter 3 and am being pwnd, so it looks like I will have to do a lot of grinding. Not enjoying it even after 20-25 hours. I loved the first one.

The battle system is not satisfying, and looks horrible. I don't mind grinding usually, but this is a pain as it's hard to even see what is going on.

must admit - I thought it was a lot more straightforward than the previous two games.. that boss is a bit of a wall for a few folks, but I just went away did a few quests and battered a few fools and when I went back a couple of levels higher it was no problem

Curious - whereabouts in Chapter 3 is that boss battle? I'm in Ch 3 at the moment,

Spoiler

on my way to the city,

and have had one or two boss fights which didn't seem much trouble. I've levelled up a lot in this chapter though, mostly because I'm just enjoying exploring the stomach so much. I'm not using any quest XP though, only battle.

Right now, I'm basically either playing this game, or thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Curious - whereabouts in Chapter 3 is that boss battle? I'm in Ch 3 at the moment,

Reveal hidden contents

on my way to the city,

and have had one or two boss fights which didn't seem much trouble. I've levelled up a lot in this chapter though, mostly because I'm just enjoying exploring the stomach so much. I'm not using any quest XP though, only battle.

Right now, I'm basically either playing this game, or thinking about it.

right at the end of chapter 3

just above the city, above the titan's arse

- you'll know it when you get to it.  Suspect you'll use that questing XP pretty sharpish...

49 minutes ago, scottcr said:

ooft -

Reveal hidden contents

3 blades I don't have in there... the bottom position ones on both Rex and Nia.

I use Morag instead of Torra - I never really got my head around making Poppi more powerful.  Is Poppi QTpi worth having?

Her damage output can make the difference but because she comes so late in the game, it can and will be a pain to work on her affinity chart.

I didn’t even get to use my first choice attackers because they were out on a merc mission. Using Roc in the biggest battle because you’ve sent the big hitters out on merc business. It doesn’t get more casual than that.

Just now, Alexlotl said:

Not getting any play time in at home with family committments, so I've crossed the rubicon and brought my Switch to work for a bit of lunchtime gaming, just for this game.

I started it at work last night, got home, sat in bed till 2am playing, woke up at 8 and decided I'd have a nice, hour long bath and of course get an hours worth of Xenoblade in :P

It's telling that I've played this more than either of the other games in the series already, the original I might have done an hour or so and X is still sealed, portable RPG's of this quality are superb and the Switch is all the better for it.

Ha, and in 20 minutes play I advanced about 100m! Stumbled on a group of humanoid drivers who attacked me, and saw them off - one of them was really tough, but I overkilled him for a rare core crystal. Then spotted a unique grave marker about another 50m off. That's weird, I thought - I haven't been here before, have I? I'll activate it and see what happens...

...turns out that tough driver was a unique, and now I had to kill him again. :blink:

4 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Ha, and in 20 minutes play I advanced about 100m! Stumbled on a group of humanoid drivers who attacked me, and saw them off - one of them was really tough, but I overkilled him for a rare core crystal. Then spotted a unique grave marker about another 50m off. That's weird, I thought - I haven't been here before, have I? I'll activate it and see what happens...

...turns out that tough driver was a unique, and now I had to kill him again. :blink:

ha - yeah, I did that too... I know exactly where you are. :D

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

I think he's referring to a very late game spoiler... but I did have other characters a higher level and it wasn't a problem.

Yeah I think I actually was just being shit, I died twice when I tried it first time and then ended up being generally over levelled for the bits afterwards.

I've given up trying to get the remaining three rare blades I'm missing and I've done pretty much everything on everyone else's affinity list, maybe if they do a NG+ I might go back to it.

Good game though but that randomness on the rare blades just soured my experience a little.

1 minute ago, b00dles said:

Yeah I think I actually was just being shit, I died twice when I tried it first time and then ended up being generally over levelled for the bits afterwards.

I've given up trying to get the remaining three rare blades I'm missing and I've done pretty much everything on everyone else's affinity list, maybe if they do a NG+ I might go back to it.

Good game though but that randomness on the rare blades just soured my experience a little.

I'm just rolling with rare blades - I'm quite happy with the ones I play with the most, reckon I'll defeat the final boss really really soon and then I'll just jump in and do stuff whenever it takes my fancy.

I do want Dahlia though, because, erm... 

51 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I'm just rolling with rare blades - I'm quite happy with the ones I play with the most, reckon I'll defeat the final boss really really soon and then I'll just jump in and do stuff whenever it takes my fancy.

This was post game really, I had a team I enjoyed using then did a load of the big bosses and side missions while I was doing affinity charts for other rare blades and then trying to get all of them. It got to a dull point of trying to grind and farm once there wasn't other things to do.

Technically I've still got the 120 boss thing and a few other 100 or so but not sure if I can be arsed as I don't know if I'll get anything remotely worth while. Aside from the satisfaction obvs, I mean in the game.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

She must spend half her time casting heal on her own spine.

What blades were your core squad for the main game, then?

Being the compulsive power gamer that I am, I already have my blades planned out for the main game using ones I either already have, or can be got from quests, even for characters I don't have yet. That way, anything I get from Core Crystals is a bonus. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't got their full roster of drivers yet.

Spoiler

Rex

Pyra/Mythra

Vale (already got)

Sheba (Inherited Core Crystal) or Roc

I really hate Roc's design, but by all accounts he's very useful. Hrmm. Might play with healer builds later on.

Nia

Dromarch

Boreas (already got)

Vess (Vess's Core Crystal)

Pure heal. I think I'd rather have a knuckler than two bitballers, but Vess is guaranteed and a useful element. I'll probably OP Ursula onto her once she's finished her apparently endless affinity quests.

Morag

Brighid

Electra (via OP,  currently on Nia)

Kasandra (Lucky Core Crystal)

I understand you get a katana blade from the storyline for her later on, at which point I'll replace one of the hammer girls. Kasandra is my favourite design of any blade, I think.

Zeke

Pandoria

Wulfric (Beastly Core Crystal)

Zenobia (via OP, currently on Nia)

Yes, I've already inadvertently spoiled everything above despite being in Chapter 3.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

She must spend half her time casting heal on her own spine.

What blades were your core squad for the main game, then?

Being the compulsive power gamer that I am, I already have my blades planned out for the main game using ones I either already have, or can be got from quests, even for characters I don't have yet. That way, anything I get from Core Crystals is a bonus. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't got their full roster of drivers yet.

Reveal hidden contents

Rex

Pyra/Mythra

Vale (already got)

Sheba (Inherited Core Crystal) or Roc

I really hate Roc's design, but by all accounts he's very useful. Hrmm. Might play with healer builds later on.

Nia

Dromarch

Boreas (already got)

Vess (Vess's Core Crystal)

Pure heal. I think I'd rather have a knuckler than two bitballers, but Vess is guaranteed and a useful element. I'll probably OP Ursula onto her once she's finished her apparently endless affinity quests.

Morag

Brighid

Electra (via OP,  currently on Nia)

Kasandra (Lucky Core Crystal)

I understand you get a katana blade from the storyline for her later on, at which point I'll replace one of the hammer girls. Kasandra is my favourite design of any blade, I think.

Zeke

Pandoria

Wulfric (Beastly Core Crystal)

Zenobia (via OP, currently on Nia)

Yes, I've already inadvertently spoiled everything above despite being in Chapter 3.

I'm just starting Chapter 3, I'm grinding out as much EXP as possible but sometimes I just get wiped the fuck out as some tank of an enemy rolls in to join the fight, Rex is at level 15 currently, only got the second blade ( from the tutorial mission ) and I'm planning on playing it as I find it, no guides for better loot or anything, going to just pretend there is no help out there and run around blindly filling quests and smashing enemies to power up my team :)

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

I think he's referring to a very late game spoiler... but I did have other characters a higher level and it wasn't a problem.

Ah, cheers. I thought it best not to google just in case.

In the first few minutes of Chapter 9. This game is doing pretty much all the things I was hoping for them to do with this world when it was first revealed to us. Great story and setting, utterly awful field skills mechanic around Chapter 7. It's quite impressive that they almost managed to make Pokemon HM's worse in 2017.