Xenoblade Chronicles 2

mdn2

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Needed cash to level up Sheba’s affinity chart, and noticed she has nodes for selling items.

Probably time to do an accessory purge, I thought. Sorted by category, kept the best three items in each category and sold the rest. 

Ten minutes later, I’ve gone from 80,000G to 1,200,000G. :blink:

Of course, I immediately put 600,000G into Sheba’s piggy bank, but nice nudge mechanic, Monolith! Hadn’t realised I was sitting on a goldmine. 

I done the whole Sheba piggybank thing in one hit, wanted it out of the way before starting again.
It's quite weird being at the begining of the game and smashing enemies with one hit, I dropped Rex down to lvl 10 before leaving Argentum for the first quest and didn't realise just how OP I would be, hopefully that will change now I am hitting the first large open area of the game, although I might go stick him back up to max level just to go and stomp on that fucking Gorilla looking thing that was one shotting me in the previous play through.

As for NG+, your total play time carries over which is a nice touch, I won\t have to sit and add up the totals now as it keeps on trucking :)

Got bored of sidequesting, and used a rare bit of big-screen time to finish Chapter 8 / Start Chapter 9 last night. Wow.

Spoiler

The titans! I actually involuntarily said "Holy fuck, is that Mor Ardain?" when it came shambling up out of the mist. Genuine surprise, despite Amalthus saying in the scene before that he could even control titans. I thought he meant Aeshma style things, not continental beasties!

I'm really really concerned that I'm going to finish this soon and I don't want to, I'm finding myself just wandering around towns and cities because I don't want the story to draw to close, I haven't been this into a game since Final Fantasy 7.

Im on Chapter 8 so have no idea how longs left but to prolong it a bit more, tonight I'm going to go through all the Kill X amount of baddies on Y planet things for each Blade, Im then going to wander around most of the places again and make sure I haven't missed any of the side missions. 

What a wonderful game. 

More Chapter 9 spoilers.

Spoiler

A little time to play last night, so I killed a few Praetorium uniques for Zenobia's chart, then saved to stop for the night. Then I thought - can I go and visit Mor Ardain, despite what's going on?

Yup, I can. The sky's a cloudy purple, and I can see the World Tree. Teleported up to the Nopon Pioneer Springs (high up secret area) and I can even see the Tornan mech fighting Indol, as smoothly animated silhouettes in the distance. Went to the old ruined amphitheatre on top of Uraya too, and could see the tree, but not the combat. Tried Tantal, but couldn't see anything from there (which makes sense, given as we're inside its shell). Not sure if Gormott will join the party shortly - if it does, I'll go and check that out too!

Crazy that a) they let you do this, and b) they've made sure it's consistent and coherent, even though it makes cock-all sense plot wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I started my NG+ last week and then came this article about dataminers uncovering the premise of the story DLC due later this year that’s probably a big enough deal to be officially unveiled at E3.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/rumour_dataminers_have_uncovered_the_details_of_the_story_dlc_for_xenoblade_chronicles_2

It says don’t look if you don’t want to know but it’s more of a hype generator than a spoiler IMHO.

So it looks like that expansion pass will become essential and now is the right time for me to buy it to get value out of the previous DLC quests. Dammit. My only other purchase so far this year was the Octo Expansion preorder for Splatoon 2. I can’t let go of 2017.

End sequence spoiler and question

Pneuma sacrifices herself but Pyra and Mythra return. Does that mean they are separate blades now rather than aspects of the Aegis?  

Does this mean Rex is basically having threesomes for the rest of his life?

12 hours ago, CovisGod said:

3 hours of play without saving and up pops a black screen of death meaning I have to reset :doh:

There’s a crashing bug in the current version - do the joint L4 special for Pyra and Chapter 7 Story Blade, and the game dies, every time. Surprised a 1.4.1 wasn’t rushed out to fix it. 

There seem to be some bad bugs around starting the Poppibuster quest too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Patch 1.4.1 out tomorrow - bug fixes and new DLC quests, including another multi-blade quest, this one with Herald, Zenobia and Electra, which sounds great. 

I have only managed about 6hrs playtime in the whole of May, it’s been a radge month. Slowly creeping up the World Tree still, just took down a bastard of a unique Gerolf Mecha on the third attempt. 

Apparently the liner notes from the just-released OST say that Monolith want to make XCX2 and XC3, so eyes peeled for new games in the Switch’s lifespan. 

Finally finished this a couple of days ago. >145 hours according to my Switch profile. I was still missing four or five Blades but after reaching the point of no return ages ago I spent the last 20 or so hours polishing off my side quests and filling out affinity trees until I just thought 'fuck it' and paid the final boss a visit. My party was level 93.

Spoiler

So the level 70-something boss didn't really pose a problem, until he used an attack called "Prometheus", which just instantly killed everyone at full health. Great game design, guys!

Second time around he didn't get a chance to pull it off so I got to see the ending. After all those hours I'm not sure what I really expected, I mean it's all about the journey right, but during the finale I wasn't really feeling it. Pyra/Mithra sacrifices herself to save the party, but mere minutes later she's (they're?) back to life again, robbing the ending of any emotional sting.

Later I read up about the ending and was surprised to learn about the connections with the first Xenoblade Chronicles. Despite seeing the former game through to the very end I totally didn't catch the fact that the Architect was Klaus, and Shulk's line uttered through the interdimensional bridge totally went over my head at the time. It didn't click who was speaking. I would have thought if Monolith wanted to appeal to fans of the previous game they'd have made the connection a little less subtle, but from the sounds of things I guess they're saving the full crossover for the DLC.

Regarding the DLC, I'm not likely to buy in. Certainly not until we have more concrete details about what the final story segment features, but for the price it would have to be something pretty tempting.

Overall I enjoyed XC2, I spent a long time playing it, and I'm still interested in what Monolith will do from here on. I'd like their next game to feature less bullshit, and while XC2 was closer to XC1 than to XCX on the mindless-treadmill scale, I think they can still trim a lot of the grind without compromising what it is I do like about their games.

Still slowly progressing, stealing an hour here and there. Finished Chapter 9:

Spoiler

The phazon-infused Amalthus Prime was a bit of a WTF moment. I was expecting to fight him, but not quite like that. Intrigued at the idea that Amalthus corrupted Malos and not vice, versa, though.

As per usual with story events, I got caught with my pants down in terms of blades and went in with a bit of a B-Team of blades, including Vess, who I quite strongly dislike. Still kicked his arse pretty well though, ending with a Full Burst from 5 orbs.

Back to side-questing now - the latest patch (1.4.1) added a new DLC quest that lets you create Love Source, a pouch item that adds 3000 trust, which is a ridiculous amount - I think the most any other pouch item gave was 230ish. Takes a little effort to farm them, but I cooked up a couple and used them to take Vale up to Level 5 trust and got Praxis pretty close (need her L5 to unlock Theory's L3+).

With Vale's L5 trust I got her blade quest, which is a pretty hilarious one involving young Nopon forming an apocalpyse cult to summon a demon called Moe (good work, localisers). Vale's "That's not a demon, just some shitty monster." line deserves more love (as does Vale in general, TBH - great blade). Also broke my combo record with 5.5m damage against one of the quest bosses, ending in a thematically-appropriate all-Dark full-burst from Vale, Azami and Kassandra. A bit late for World Goth Day, but it'll do.

My wife's on a field course next week, so should get some enough playtime in to take it over the line, kids willing.

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone make of the Story DLC then? Sounds very substantial, to the point where they're also giving it a physical stand-alone release, which also includes a download code for the season pass (but the season pass includes the DLC? Confused).

fJKDjMs.jpg

Quite hard to discuss it without spoiling the main game, but it's a prequel set during the Aegis War. Spoiler-filled (and confusingly Japanese character-named) trailer below:

Spoiler

Looks like you get to play as Addam with Mythra, Lora with Jin and Haze/Fan La Norne, and suspiciously Niall-esque young Emperor of Mor Ardain with Brighid and Aegeon. Looks like the battle system gives you direct control of both blades and drivers, being able to tag in/out.

Looks pretty decent, and certainly justifies the cost of the Season Pass.

So the physical release comes with The Golden Country on a game card, but the expansion pass as a download code, which you can't use without the base Xenoblade 2?

An unusual way of going about it, but actually ideal in many ways.

I can see me diving right back into this with the prequel... 

Actually, I want it.... now....

The more I think back, I feel I completed it a bit early, and should have stuck it out with more side quests.  I was loving the story, but not feeling the grind / side quests so much, and therefore missed the blade quests which had some story of their own of course.  I also wanted to go play some other stuff.. Maybe my mistake was thinking that I could find another game that I'd get into as much as XC2.

5 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

What does everyone make of the Story DLC then? Sounds very substantial, to the point where they're also giving it a physical stand-alone release, which also includes a download code for the season pass (but the season pass includes the DLC? Confused).

fJKDjMs.jpg

I've now read that text a few times to figure out if 'coded in a box' could fit.

It seems strange to include a season pass for effectively a completely different game, when that season pass basically includes what is on the cart in the box :S

I'm fighting a power cable right now and it's the worst boss I've seen since the PS1 days. The battle system, despite being overloaded with absolute shit that's of little to anyone, is completely failing to convey what's actually killing me.

Okay, so I'm trying to use chain attacks when it hits 50% health since that's where it goes apeshit and I die from whatever (looked it up, apparently it's spike damage coupled with an AOE). Unfortunately, my idiot friends keep changing to the wrong blade before I can trigger the orbs I want so I don't have a lot of options - I waited about ten minutes for tora to go back to his other blade form so that I could start a combo with the earth element, and he laughed at me the whole time and stayed in fire mode. I can't see any way to change them over, either, and there's all sorts of annoying afflictions getting in the way even when they're playing ball. 

So I finally pull one off with three orbs, hopefully enough to kill it or at least inflict major damage. It fails to break even one orb, wastes the combo chain and everyone dies from lightning overload. Then I spent several attempts hoping the useless bastards would play ball with their blade choices because I have no idea how to swap between their equipped blades mid-fight  if you even can. They didn't, and you can't bring up the help sheet in a battle to see what the controls are (because everyone inherently knows how intuitive swapping your target mid battle by holding down R then tapping X or Y is, of course.).

I didn't have much trouble with the first game or X, but this one seems stuffed full of bullshit that has a negligible effect on battles and fails to properly explain anything that actually needs explained in a coherent, user-friendly manner. I've since learned that orbs are attacked at random unless they're the opposite element, which does 2 damage instead of one, but I can't be assed trying again right now. It's so poorly explained that I'm in disbelief.

14 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm fighting a power cable right now and it's the worst boss I've seen since the PS1 days. The battle system, despite being overloaded with absolute shit that's of little to anyone, is completely failing to convey what's actually killing me.

Okay, so I'm trying to use chain attacks when it hits 50% health since that's where it goes apeshit and I die from whatever (looked it up, apparently it's spike damage coupled with an AOE). Unfortunately, my idiot friends keep changing to the wrong blade before I can trigger the orbs I want so I don't have a lot of options - I waited about ten minutes for tora to go back to his other blade form so that I could start a combo with the earth element, and he laughed at me the whole time and stayed in fire mode. I can't see any way to change them over, either, and there's all sorts of annoying afflictions getting in the way even when they're playing ball. 

So I finally pull one off with three orbs, hopefully enough to kill it or at least inflict major damage. It fails to break even one orb, wastes the combo chain and everyone dies from lightning overload. Then I spent several attempts hoping the useless bastards would play ball with their blade choices because I have no idea how to swap between their equipped blades mid-fight  if you even can. They didn't, and you can't bring up the help sheet in a battle to see what the controls are (because everyone inherently knows how intuitive swapping your target mid battle by holding down R then tapping X or Y is, of course.).

I didn't have much trouble with the first game or X, but this one seems stuffed full of bullshit that has a negligible effect on battles and fails to properly explain anything that actually needs explained in a coherent, user-friendly manner. I've since learned that orbs are attacked at random unless they're the opposite element, which does 2 damage instead of one, but I can't be assed trying again right now. It's so poorly explained that I'm in disbelief.

I got suck on that bastard for ages too. One of the worst battles of the game.