ARMS - Ninty's Fight Club

Just had a short session, mainly to test out the internet connection at my new place. So far, it all seems fine. Either that or it's truly awful and nobody has a clue where I actually am, because I was dominating that lobby. Ranked wasn't quite so good to me, lost to 2 opponents before beating the next 2, a rank 1 Twintelle that got so lucky with the Rush hitting at precisely the best moment in both rounds.I'm marginally better off than I was before I started, but have now managed to get Phoenix + in Get Arms so hopefully this is the start of a dash to double-digits!

52 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

What's the difference between v1 and V2?

V2 added Max Brass as a playable character (and his three default Arms) along with a new mode, Hedlok Scramble, and a host of balancing changes and minor fixes.

Finally unwrapped this tonight at the request of my son, had about half an hour on it playing Vs against the CPU as various different characters. 

It's bloody tough using the joycons, with all the tilting, plus jump & dash but it was pretty good fun.

Might try the pro controller next time, having less to think about in terms of the controls might make the game a bit easier to get to grips with. 

Rank 10 get! Mostly thanks to this guy who didn't understand when he was beaten when I won 6 times in a row without loosing a round. He almost got me in the end by switching to a spammy ninjara, which made it all the sweeter when I kicked his arse again to rank up ;) This really is one hell of a game when you get into it.

Played again before bed, what was supposed to be a quick go turned into an hour & I've beaten the first two Grand Prix with Master Mummy, although he is very, very slow & his jump is awful so I need to look at other options. 

It feels pretty good, but how good remains to be seen. A high percentage of my wins were quite flukey, and I'm not really sure about what I'm doing with regards to movement, it isn't very intuitive using the joycons but punching is great fun. 

I can't shake the feeling that Splatoon is going to be better though, decisions, decisions. 

20 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Played again before bed, what was supposed to be a quick go turned into an hour & I've beaten the first two Grand Prix with Master Mummy, although he is very, very slow & his jump is awful so I need to look at other options. 

It feels pretty good, but how good remains to be seen. A high percentage of my wins were quite flukey, and I'm not really sure about what I'm doing with regards to movement, it isn't very intuitive using the joycons but punching is great fun. 

I can't shake the feeling that Splatoon is going to be better though, decisions, decisions. 

I'm normally a big fan of motion controls, but personally I found the game became a lot more fun when I stopped using them. You loose a bit of fine control over where your punches are going but you gain so much more in mobility, and positioning and dodging are huge parts of the game. It's worth knowing that if you use button controls you can use ZL and ZR to punch, I think the game only tells you that you can use A and B. I wish there was an option use buttons and sticks for movement and punches, but still twist the joycons to curve punches, that would be perfect.

Splatoon probably will be better, but I've been playing this for a couple of weeks, and pretty much every day I find I like it more, so it's definitely worth sticking with.  

Put me in the utter rubbish at playing it but really enjoying it camp.

I love how Nintendo can make a genre I don't actually like feel like fun, and manage to hid the depth and complexity as usual behind a control system even a noob like me can get into.

I regard winning the second Grand Prix in single player as an achievement, but between that and some unranked online lobbies for coins I'm having a good time !

Splatoon is going to do exactly the same, I don't like shooters.

Had a go with Max Blast last night and found him very frustrating. Against spring man it was like his shoulders were too wide! Straight punches would just pass by either side rather than connecting.  

I had some very dubious throws against me also where I'd dodged to the side but the incoming arms suddenly jumped left at the last minute, like they'd just clipped the edge of my hit box and so the grab animation kicked in rather than the miss. 

This isn't for me, I can see its a great fun game but I don't like beat em ups these days - a day on Splatoon 2 test and then back to Splatoon and I'm having much more fun so this will be going!

Glad to have tried it, if I had any of the patience I used to have then maybe I would have loved it!

On 13/07/2017 at 10:05, marsh said:

I played this against my son at the weekend who'd had about a day on it. I haven't taken a beating like that ever before. I'm blaming the controls and having to share a joycon, there must be a better way to play this?

Or am I just being an old fart?

My 10 year old gave me a damn good thrashing when we played the other day after he had been playing for a few hours beforehand. 

I am persevering but I think this could be 'the turning point' in our gaming relationship. 

Why, oh why, oh why, can't I remap the fucking buttons in handheld / pro controller mode?

It's disgraceful, especially in this age, that it can't be done.

Unless someone comes in now & points out that I've missed a really obvious option & makes me feel like an idiot, it's getting traded in for Splatoon on Friday. 

:(

11 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Why, oh why, oh why, can't I remap the fucking buttons in handheld / pro controller mode?

It's disgraceful, especially in this age, that it can't be done.

Unless someone comes in now & points out that I've missed a really obvious option & makes me feel like an idiot, it's getting traded in for Splatoon on Friday. 

:(

Nope, can't be done I'm afraid. What do you want to change?

1 hour ago, GokouD said:

Nope, can't be done I'm afraid. What do you want to change?

I need block off the left stick 'click' & I'm not happy with the positioning of jump & dodge, think they'd be better on the bumpers.

I also keep curving my punches constantly, not on purpose, as I'm continuing to try & move at the same time. Shame that isn't mapped to the other stick.

I just don't think it has been very well thought out.

Spent half an hour or so trying to beat the first round of L3 with a few different characters with no joy.

1 hour ago, ph0rce said:

I need block off the left stick 'click' & I'm not happy with the positioning of jump & dodge, think they'd be better on the bumpers.

I also keep curving my punches constantly, not on purpose, as I'm continuing to try & move at the same time. Shame that isn't mapped to the other stick.

I just don't think it has been very well thought out.

Spent half an hour or so trying to beat the first round of L3 with a few different characters with no joy.

Yeah stick to block is my main annoyance with the controls, I tend to just not block very much. The moving and curving thing is just how the game works, you can't really move anyway when your fists are extended.

My son  just beat Hedlock on level 4 (as Kid Cobra if anyone is interested) and has now unlocked ranked match. 

He's 5.

Beyond proud of the little guy! (I've not ventured above level 4 yet as wanted to learn more characters at that level first, and so know how bloody tough getting that far is!) 

<3

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

My son  just beat Hedlock on level 4 (as Kid Cobra if anyone is interested) and has now unlocked ranked match. 

He's 5.

Beyond proud of the little guy! (I've not ventured above level 4 yet as wanted to learn more characters at that level first, and so know how bloody tough getting that far is!) 

<3

That's impressive!

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

He's 5.

<3

Holy shit. Well done, that boy!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Junker said:

Arms 2.1 out now. No new fighter (boo!) but lots of small adjustments. http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-update-out-now-version-2-1-0-new-training-exercises-adjustments-for-fighters-arms-more/ 

The biggest news and another reason why I love this game is that they've put they "trained" Barq to get up quicker. Brilliant. 

Seekie : Increased retraction speed.
Made it so the electric shock when a charge attack connects doesn’t last as long.

Nooooooo my main tactic lol.

2 hours ago, Junker said:

Arms 2.1 out now. No new fighter (boo!)

They've now announced a new fighter *IS* on the way in the next update (yay!):

Translation: This update is a small scale mainly aimed at adjusting the game balance, but in the next big update, we are planning to add a new fighter and a new arm! Please look forward to the next report!

3 hours ago, Junker said:

Arms 2.1 out now. No new fighter (boo!) but lots of small adjustments. http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-update-out-now-version-2-1-0-new-training-exercises-adjustments-for-fighters-arms-more/ 

The biggest news and another reason why I love this game is that they've put they "trained" Barq to get up quicker. Brilliant. 

I love that note, too, though I don't like what it means. Then again, you don't meet too many Byte & Barq players online. 

Bit miffed that the Bubb has been nerfed; been using that a lot with Max Brass. Up to Rank 12 now but I don't think I'll climb any higher. Weirdly, I seem to do better against higher-level opponents. Yesterday I lost to rank 9 and 10 players and beat a 13 and a 14. 

I was late to ARMS, only had it a couple of weeks. Only put about 10 hours in it But I love it. Beat Grand Prix on level 4 a couple of days ago. I thought I'd missed the boat on Ranked but with the changes I guess it levels the playing field a bit so I'm going to jump in with my Ninjara