IGNORED

ARMS

The Mighty Ash

4 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Is it a decent single player game too? Are there online matches to be had?

Its great in single player, plenty of modes and tonnes of unlocks. The online servers are a bit dead though but you’ll find matches.

This is such an overlooked gem. No one is ever talking about ARMS anymore and I think it's a shame. I must admit that when I got it on release, I kinda expected it to be more action oriented and missed out on the flow of the game. Each match requires you to empty your brain buffer and come up with a new approach, there really is no room for button mashing and hope for the best. 

When the gameplay clicks I enter a zen like state where my fighter of choice moves about in an elegant, dance like manner and it's really satisfying to land several good hits in a row, watch the opponent get frustrated before finishing them off. 

I really wish for a sequel or a massive update to the original. 

15 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Is it a decent single player game too?

It's amazing. The harder difficulties will turn you into an absolute professional. Not because it's artificially hard, but because the AI is the best I've ever seen outside of something Elon Musk is showing off.

When you face a strong opponent you have to play like it's real boxing. So you run the timer down while making sure you're the one connecting more hits. You're aiming to win on points, basically. Trying to go for the KO is generally not a good idea, unless you can capitalise on a string of errors coming off your opponent.

Each fighter is broadly unique, each with their own traits and quirks. Coupled with being able to customise your ARMS selections for each character, which can also be switched out each round, this provides unparalleled amounts of depth.

I personally think it's up there with the likes of Virtua Fighter and Smash. It's your typical Nintendo 'one minute to learn, one lifetime to master' game.

3 hours ago, Rayn said:

This is such an overlooked gem. No one is ever talking about ARMS anymore and I think it's a shame. I must admit that when I got it on release, I kinda expected it to be more action oriented and missed out on the flow of the game. Each match requires you to empty your brain buffer and come up with a new approach, there really is no room for button mashing and hope for the best. 

When the gameplay clicks I enter a zen like state where my fighter of choice moves about in an elegant, dance like manner and it's really satisfying to land several good hits in a row, watch the opponent get frustrated before finishing them off. 

I really wish for a sequel or a massive update to the original. 

I think ARMS was maybe released just too early. I remember the first couple of years of the Switch being absolutely stacked for Nintendo first-party releases, and they might of been better off rescheduling stuff to give them more of a time to shine and not compete with each other for people's time and money. Maybe pushed ARMS to 6 months later or more.

I love this game.  One of my all time favourites. I used to play thumbs up with joy-cons stood up. Fantastic work out! :) (And I’m someone who never liked waggle!). 

I agree with the boxing point. Some fights are tense, dancing around, almost waiting for the first chance to land a blow or to counter one. I’d use ribbon girl and at times feel like I was floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee! 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

How is everyone else doing with motion controls? I suspect it’s probably the superior way to play but I’m not very good with them.

I feel I have more control, especially when it comes to directing long-range punches. Although I do have to add guard to a button, specifically for quicker response.

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

Does anyone know why some of my opponents start with a fully charged rush meter in online? It’s not because they’re shit as a few of them have battered me.

It’s been a while, but I think it might be because they’ve lost previous games.  I didn’t find a match last time I tried playing, but the time before that I struggled to win the few games I played; think it was a combination of the remaining active players being good and me being rusty :) 

On 15/10/2021 at 12:00, Strafe said:

How is everyone else doing with motion controls? I suspect it’s probably the superior way to play but I’m not very good with them.

I always play(ed) thumbs up motion controls. It’s way more fun and I always found it to be very accurate.