IGNORED

ARMS

The Mighty Ash

13 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

I agree regarding the depth, let's hope more is shown off soon. Can't understand people already complaining about its cost though. £40 for what's already shown is surely reasonable nowadays. Yes it's not perfect but when you see people lapping up Bomberman R at those prices (now that's criminal!) I don't see the fuss about this.

Yeah £40 seems like the right price for me, was hoping to get it digitally though, which will probably put it at a Bomberman level.

They've hinted at depth, with the glove types, but by introducing those they open themselves up to all the difficulties that balance brings. If one glove set or mixed pair is too powerful, everyone will use them. If one glove completely counters another it becomes too much of a rock paper scissors exercise. It'll be tricky, but it'll be crucial to the game's longevity and success. 

Well umm yeah, that's the point surely. :huh: It sounds like you're bemoaning their attempt to make depth due to it being hard! We'll all just have to see but the premise is sound. Let's see if they can make it work, can't criticise them for trying tho.

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I walked away from the hands-on event where I played this thinking it was the best thing I played that day, and was genuinely surprised by the depth it offered. Anyone thinking of this as Wii Sports Boxing is very wrong, and it's not even right to think of it as Punch-Out!!! (How many exclamation marks is that game up to, now?) It's actually more like Virtual On, which is admittedly a little bit of a pointless comparison to make being that only a handful of people ever played that.

Quoting this because this has been my experience as well. Got to try the game out in February and it was easily the best game for me. In a weird way it reminded me of Power Stone on the Dreamcast and those Naruto games on the Gamecube back in the day.

For people saying it looks more like Wii Boxing i'd say that ARMS in gameplay isn't nearly that static in terms of gameplay. Wii Boxing has your fighter constantly standing still or circling your oppenant. ARMS forces you to move the character on your own, estimate the potential distance for the right punch and launch an all powerfull pummeling at the right time. All whilst your constantly being baraged by the other player who's doing the same but with a big fuck-off mummy coming out you.

The fact that this has online play will help it immensely in terms of fun and longevity. 2 vs 2 is going to be insane when this comes out. Can't wait.

Yeah, tbh I wouldn't grumble at 8, that's a decent classic roster count and more easily balance-able.

I still think/hope a producer was pushing to license Dhalsm in as a special character tho. Especially given Nintendo's close relationship with Capcom. It's too perfect an opportunity and would provide a great nerdgasm. *Perhaps a DLC announcement for E3! *It won't happen

• 2 weeks later...

43 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

From this month's EDGEtm :

A fraction? I suppose we'll get 8 at launch, and more in the form of future DLC .

I hope they keep adding stuff for free, a bit like what they did with Splatoon.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

I hope they keep adding stuff for free, a bit like what they did with Splatoon.

Oh dear god yes. It was fantastic going back to Splatoon after having not played it for a while and discover a complete new game.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 13:44, Keyboard Koala said:

Seems like there's at least 4 more other characters, bringing the total of playable characters to at least 10. Let's hope there's a bit of depth in the gameplay and we might have an excellent new franchise from Nintendo on our hands :) 

QDytXTb.png

GzZXJ8f.png

I guess that new trailer confirms that the other character is a thing too.

Also, Helix looks lush, loving the designs of the characters so far.  Wonder if we'll get amiibo?  :D

Wasn't interested in this at first as I'm not keen at flailing my arms about at my age, but maybe it'll be fun to play with wife and daughter.

Will keep more of a keen eye on this to see if I'm swayed.

Helix is kind of creepy! 

This game oooks better and better doesn't it? Someone said before that this feels like Powerstone for the Switch. The latest video has me thinking the same. 

If it it lives up to the early promise I think it's going to be a classic. 

3 hours ago, geldra said:

I guess that new trailer confirms that the other character is a thing too.

Also, Helix looks lush, loving the designs of the characters so far.  Wonder if we'll get amiibo?  :D

Indeed. So at least 10 characters at launch, and more to follow. And EDGEtm raving about it.

Looks like the first Switch exclusive to get the console for.

I'm not normally a fighting game fan but this feels like it will have the same magic as Splatoon and that got me into multiplayer shooters so I'm looking forward to it.

Reading some people's tempered expectations, it definitely feels like it has to overcome the perception that it's a Wii Boxing waggle-fest though.

Cracking art design. :) It's looking more and more like my fears were unfounded, chuffed that's the case. 10 characters, that's more than decent. Now we just need to hear more details on the gameplay and a half decent story mode!

What has Edge had to say about it then?