Splatoon 2 - Chicken vs Egg Splatfest this weekend!

strawdonkey

I think the online service in general is borked at the moment. I get error codes when trying to watch a video, when trying to get into the shop and testing connection in the settings often doesn't work. Not seen this since launch so maybe this test has just overloaded the service or something. 

9 minutes ago, tnman said:

Hmm. Mine was 30cm away from the router and no dice. I managed to finish one game in handheld mode 6 feet away from the router.

We might need to find a sweet spot for distance or buy a LAN adapter? I dunno...

Dude, just seemingly fixed the problem. Get your console in handheld mode, hold the power button down for a few seconds and when Power Options pops up, select 'Turn Off'. Leave for a minute or two, turn back on and hey presto - can now connect to the e-Shop again and connection tests complete fine.

One disconnect. Spent about 20mins playing it, son played the rest of the time.

Basically the original game with some new maps. I like it, but really not sure if I want to buy this one unless there is also a good single player mode and free additional content like the first game.

I think Mario Kart will go down better with rest of family due to excellent local player as well as online. 

2 minutes ago, KriessG said:

So as someone who pays predominantly FPS... will I enjoy this? I'm not at home tonight to try it out.

I don't like them but i enjoy this. Give it a whirl.

I enjoyed my hour. there must be some seriously shit players as i finished first on my team 3 times and i don't think i ever did on the Wii U.

I played with dog face them freestyle. Both were ok. I may try with the gyro controls off of the next test. I didn't notice any graphical differences. It ran smooth and was fun so all good. 

15 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Dude, just seemingly fixed the problem. Get your console in handheld mode, hold the power button down for a few seconds and when Power Options pops up, select 'Turn Off'. Leave for a minute or two, turn back on and hey presto - can now connect to the e-Shop again and connection tests complete fine.

Connection tests completed okay for me before. It just dropped out mid-game all the time.

14 minutes ago, tnman said:

Connection tests completed okay for me before. It just dropped out mid-game all the time.

How is your upload speed? The original needed a fairly respectable upload speed or you'd get bumped. I think anything less than 1Mbps upload and you might have problems.

I had a blip around half past, lasted a couple of minutes but everything else was rock solid. 

Gyro controls with the pro controller were, let's say, not for me. I didn't actually try using the Joycons though, not ruling it out until I've done that. 

I was awful with the default weapon & the dual guns but the roller was great fun. 

Are there different modes in the full game?

Agreed, you're likely playing with people who have played a lot of Splatoon before. Once the game is out for real there will be loads of new people, you'll soon get the hang of it. It also has a matchmaker to put you against people of a similar skill in the full game. 

12 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What other modes are there other than Turf War? Is there any form of progression? I expected to be able to jump a bit higher and run a bit faster. Can you climb?

You can't climb but can spray paint on the walls and swim up it and there are other modes than Turf War, although that's the one I played the most on the WiiU. You can also get better gear from collecting points from competing in matches which make you move and swim faster, use less paint, stuff like that. 

I have gone for a lan adaptor for this and mario kart - CEX have the Nintendo ones for £6.50 and with the number of USB ports in the switch it seemed a no brainer, the first time I tried to connect it gave an error but thereafter  was smooth sailing for the entire 1 hour 10 mins we played. I say we, I had one game and my daughter the rest  - I am however sat on a 100% win ratio ;)

It looks and sounds better than the Wii U one, the paint is extra shiny and the sound seems to pop more, its not night an day in either respect but it does edge the original and the new maps seemed solid.

Day one purchase for me, will try and get on the hour tomms when wife and kids are out!

58 minutes ago, GokouD said:

How is your upload speed? The original needed a fairly respectable upload speed or you'd get bumped. I think anything less than 1Mbps upload and you might have problems.

It says 5.1Mbps now but during the test fire it was around 1.3 I think.

18 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I know this isn't for everyone but Etika is laying down the law (he's not that good but hearing him go all N-this and N-that while playing bloody Splatoon is pretty hilarious).

"MOTION CONTROLS ARE THE TRUTH"

fucking idiot

Playing with the pro controller guides you towards using the right-stick for pan and the gyro for tilt, at least that's the impression I got. It's like a hybrid of dual-stick control and gyro aiming. It really, really works. You can also 'fine-pan' with the gyro just as you aim arrows in Zelda.

For the second half of the session I used the separate Joycons. This felt more like classic WiiU Gamepad Splatoon with full gyro aiming as I don't really 'feel' the ergonomics with that right-stick. This worked just as well as the pro controller and everything I'd ever hoped for out of previously fabled Wiimote controls.

As for the quick-map I really missed the Gamepad screen for the first few rounds, but you can actually bring the map up during your death animation to get the Super Jump ready for that precise spawn moment. You can also learn to rattle off that shortcut button combination in clutch situations as long as you have bearings on where your team members are. All that said I do still miss being able to look down at a screen. 

I really like the new specials (remember that committing to a special will also refill your tank). That Splashdown is awesome when you get two people in range, and that Jetpack! I love those big delayed blasts... I was beginning to learn the timing so that people would run into my shots when they'd come around corners. Unfortunately I didn't get much time with the rocket launcher, but I think it locks on? I saw some people shooting a crazy beam of ink across the map as well, it was even penetrating the scenery and killing me behind cover. xD

I played solidly from 7:55pm all the way through to 9:05pm. Didn't get one connection error and won every single match. No kill sprees for me though.

It was fun. Like the first one (that I didn't put much time into) I sucked, though I was consistently 2nd top with the roller. As with fps objective modes, I'm better at the objective than killing the others..

Only had brief connecting issues when I left the lobby to switch guns at around half past, otherwise 1hr10 ish of madness :)

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

You can't climb but can spray paint on the walls and swim up it and there are other modes than Turf War, although that's the one I played the most on the WiiU. You can also get better gear from collecting points from competing in matches which make you move and swim faster, use less paint, stuff like that. 

Ok cheers, that sounds good, deeper than it first appears which seemed likely as so many people talk highly of the original Splatoon.

Got some time in with the early-morning testfire whilst watching the F1 practice. I'm... rusty. Got a few top scorer positions but was mostly second or third on my team.

It's good - basically feels like a continuation of the first one, which isn't such a bad thing at all really. I played exclusively with the Splat Duelies and they're really good fun to use - love the little hover power special, and the paint pucks you can fire off can give you a really neat advantage, allowing you to swim quickly forward behind it as it goes.

So yeah, overall it was good fun and I'll be picking it up when it comes out.

11 hours ago, Majora said:

Its kind of fun but I don't really understand the point of killing people if the goal is to cover as much space as possible? Seems like a team with 4 rollers would be pretty hard to beat? 

A team with a couple of decent snipers could pin the rollers down from a distance and not let them paint anything. 

The matchmaking in the first game was quite good at balancing the teams though. It hardly let a team of all rollers/snipers form. 

The matchmaking also ensured you'd end up playing against either 'painters' or 'splatters' depending on your play style.

Meaning that if my daughter played for a bit with a roller, primarily painting the floor, I'd end up feeling like a sniping legend on the following session as I would end up being paired with seven other players that all would be heads down concentrating on painting the floor. 

It's back in less than 2 hours!

This is how it starts, isn't it?

My husband had a go yesterday but he wasn't very good. Still, I think it's easy enough to pick up and play that he could learn if he wanted. :-)

Anyone having connection problems? My wifi is working fine and i even tried a hotspot off my phone but my switch can't connect to the internet :( it connects to wifi or the hotspot but e shop ir adding a friend comes up with an error :(

IMG_6212.JPG

5 minutes ago, jatpool said:

Anyone having connection problems? My wifi is working fine and i even tried a hotspot off my phone but my switch can't connect to the internet :( it connects to wifi or the hotspot but e shop ir adding a friend comes up with an error :(

IMG_6212.JPG

Try a full power off and on again, worked for people having connection issues.