Gaming with kids

Captain Kelsten

My 7 and 5 year old are just Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft and the occasional bit of Lego City Undercover.

Plus if I hear Dan TDM's voice once more <_<

Worst thing is I find I have no time to play anything these days just the odd hour here and there :(, looking forward to the next red dead game taking me 5 years to complete.

55 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

My 7 and 5 year old are just Minecraft, Minecraft, Minecraft and the occasional bit of Lego City Undercover.

Plus if I hear Dan TDM's voice once more <_<

Worst thing is I find I have no time to play anything these days just the odd hour here and there :(, looking forward to the next red dead game taking me 5 years to complete.

Yes, if I try and turn the Xbox on at the weekend they take over. The only time I tend to play is during the week after 9pm

I started my daughter on Mario 3D World at three and a half by loading up Super Bell Hill and teaching her to run and jump.

Now at the age of 5 and a half she's a Mario demon. Not afraid of dying or afraid of the game over screen, making it all the way to Bowser on her own save file.

The mechanic of needing to accumulate green stars to unlock the castles really got her sense of exploration going. 

She is also brilliant at Splatoon player. She was my little Shell grinder during the Splatfests. 

I just can't bring myself to buy Minecraft for her. I can only see it being too addictive, especially looking back at all the hours I put into it before she was born. 

:-D

Since the foundation patch my 5yo daughter really enjoys watching No Man's Sky. She was there when I built my base, and she was telling me to add tables and chairs, a bedroom etc. While I'm playing she'll be saying stuff like "I'm in the bedroom! Can you come?" and when I move there she goes "Hello daddy!". She also asks me to "go shopping" to the "alien place". I guess to her it's like playing house. At least she has grasped the concept of Earth being a planet and what means. It sometimes leads to some interesting miscommunications, if she's asking me to go shopping and I go to the space station - she'll sometimes say "no daddy, I mean shopping on our planet. Real one."

(English is not her first language, so these little conversations are pure gold for me)

It WiiU all the way for my daughter (just turned 7).

Nintendoland in particular is a great introduction to gaming thanks to all the different game styles. 

LEGO games are also immediate candidate as they can just run around "boshing" stuff. LEGO city undercover in particular is pretty much perfect.

Disney Infinity was popular for a while but focus has now moved into LEGO Dimensions which I must admit seems to do the whole "toys to life" thing much better. Despite the obvious paywalls / character restrictions.

Sadly my attempts to introduce her to the joys of the mini-NES over Xmas have so far fallen a bit flat. Looks like I'll just have to keep that for myself ;)

My son's 9 soon, and has recently discovered WWE, but before that it was basically Minecraft, Terraria, the occasional Lego game or retro updates like Jetpac...

He's got into Rocket League - the biggest risk is when I mess up and have to catch myself before shouting...

He's just started to get into FPS games - out of all of them, the one he's ended up with is Halo multiplayer as aliens seem less of a controversial issue than shooting humans (in his mum's opinion)....

The main thing has been adjusting my expectations of expecting us to work together to 100% Lego Star Wars for example, and instead just letting him have some fun while I help when needed...

It is mad the stuff that scares kids for seemingly no good reason.  I've been slowly starting Last Guardian with my sons watching, half an hour here or there.  We're about 90mins in, and we stumble across a stained glass thingy with an eye-shaped design on it.   Trico doesn't like it.  Nor does Sid, who immediately hid under a blanket!   :lol:  It was just before bed too, hope there weren't any nightmares! 

Yes, absolutely.

Sometimes there is an obvious link though... My 5 year old loves watching shows about animals. She's seen all the Planet Earth II episodes multiple times. The problem now is that she keeps having nightmares about being chased by snakes on the way to school!

My wife isnt a fan of letting my daughter ( 5.5 years ) have too much screen time which i go along with for a peaceful life plus if she has too much screen her mood changes dramatically ( for the worse ) so i can see her point. I've always said she can play games properly once she has learnt to read, one part so she concentrates on an important skill which i want her to enjoy ( reading ) and two so i don't have to sit there and read everything out for her :) All good and well until she got to play Mario Run not so long ago, now she is obsessed with getting all pink/purple coins etc and enjoys taking toads off other players. So ive decided that come xmas I think it will be time to get a Switch and Mario just for her ( and dad ) as something we can do play together 

I started our eldest daughter with Mario 1 on Mario All-Stars when she was about 2 - I could not think of a simpler game than Mario which is basically just left, right and jump. I used a PC emulator with an original SNES pad and applied cheat codes for infinite lives and to turn off the timer. Progress was slow at first, but she made steady progress and eventually could finish the first level all by herself. She's 4 now and we've had Wii-U for about a year, so most of her other gaming has been done on there. I made some basic levels on Mario Maker, but it was time consuming and most levels I downloaded were too challenging. She did have some fun with the creation side of it, but not in a truly productive way. New Super Mario U has been popular but I find the save points and finite lives frustrating. Yoshi's Woolly World has been the most successful game. It has infinite lives, an easy mode where you can hold the jump button and float forever, plus there are loads of gems to collect to buy power-ups or clear levels with. It's also the only game with co-op that's been any fun - everything else feels more complex with 2 players on screen together. I bought some new games after Christmas, Mario 3D World is popular (also known as Cat Mario) and she is slowly getting used to the 3D world but refuses to use the analogue stick. Nintendo Land seemed alright too apart from too much tutorial stuff to read at first.

8 hours ago, Hoodedclaw said:

My wife isnt a fan of letting my daughter ( 5.5 years ) have too much screen time which i go along with for a peaceful life plus if she has too much screen her mood changes dramatically ( for the worse ) so i can see her point. I've always said she can play games properly once she has learnt to read, one part so she concentrates on an important skill which i want her to enjoy ( reading ) and two so i don't have to sit there and read everything out for her :) All good and well until she got to play Mario Run not so long ago, now she is obsessed with getting all pink/purple coins etc and enjoys taking toads off other players. So ive decided that come xmas I think it will be time to get a Switch and Mario just for her ( and dad ) as something we can do play together 

Ive been thinking the same about a switch. It means a long wait until after launch but I'm sure I she can cope

Update on this. I played LBP3 with my daughter today. She loved it. Easier to tell

her where to go as that game has real life objects in it. For example: move towards that plate. One issue I had with Mario was directing her towards the gumbas. 

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread. I've got twins, both into roblox (fucked if I even know what's going on with that) one more into it that the other and he's started doing youtube vids for it. Can't be any harm I guess even at the ripe old age of 9....?

So they both play quite a bit, the Roblox boy plays little else, but dabbles more into the skylanders/Mario/Nintendo type stuff. The other is more PS4, any racing game, any farming sim game, he beat me at the multiplayer element of flatout 4 last night, and I'm still wounded by it.

My 7yo daughter, while being right into the usual Minecraft / Roblox nonsense, loves our Mame arcade machine. She adores Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and TMNT. She's pretty good at them too. 

Speaking of Roblox, we have the original Retina iPad (iPad 3rd gen) and it runs at about 15fps. Yet she doesnt mind one bit.

It is untold what kids will put up with in frame rate. Many a time I've walked in and gone 'what are you doing' as something like minecraft runs through at 2fps. My boy will try and play construction sim on his tablet and it hardly runs at all.

Now that my nephews a bit older (6) he's getting into lots of things but his main games boil down to Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and Minecraft on the Wii U/PC, he absolutely adores both of them.  What makes us laugh is he's a ruthless wee fucker when it comes to Mario Kart 8 and is genuinely really good at the game but initially when me/his grandad beat him he sometimes (not all the time) had a hissy fit and got really mad :lol: Thankfully he deals with it much better now and doesn't care as much which is good, cause when he plays more games with his friends they are gonna get ruthless, going by my own childhood anyway :lol: 

I think I already mentioned my 4 year old loves mario. We just had her birthday party and she wanted a Mario theme. Anywyay, made her some levels on mario maker and she is pretty good at them now.

Just made her a save file on stardew valley and let her loose. She loves going to the shops and cutting the grass in her farm. A couple of weeks and she'll have cleared the whole farm I reckon. 

20170407_173839.jpg

37 minutes ago, Pob said:

Which is the best console version of Minecraft? Does that Nintendo content mean the WiiU edges it?

Yeah I'd say so, although my daughter also plays the iPad version.

The WiiU version has (albeit limited) touch screen support, split screen play and of course the Mario stuff which is really cool IMO.

My newphews, aged 6 and 8, who live with us, are increasingly desperate to play games.  I've given them an old DS Lite, and a copy of Ouendan, but they get thrown out of the living room that my wife and I use if I want to play.  They are aware that there is a big collection of games, but they don't know just how many there are.  I might show them on the day I pack up to move out of the house.

Having seem the fingerprints all over the TV downstairs, and how quickly they break their own stuff, I'm not letting them use mine.  And once I let them play games, I assume they will be forever asking if they can play.  Fortunately, my sister-in-law doesn't really want them playing, so she agrees with my stance.

As a bit of a game junky and hoarder, the kids were surprised to see the vast amount of games I had for the original xbox. They've not even seen the steel battalion controller yet...

Anyway, Roblox, they do figures now which seem to be harder to buy than rocks of crack.

6 hours ago, marsh said:

As a bit of a game junky and hoarder, the kids were surprised to see the vast amount of games I had for the original xbox. They've not even seen the steel battalion controller yet...

Anyway, Roblox, they do figures now which seem to be harder to buy than rocks of crack.

Yes, controllers like that seem to blow kids minds. I've been thinking about getting a DC or wii just so I can get Samba De Amigo and maracas. I know my daughter will adore it...