Jump to content
IGNORED

Gaming with kids


Doctor Shark
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, christaylor said:

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be comfortable letting my son loose on Sniper Elite. If you've got an Xbox One Overwatch is pretty good, with cartoon violence, or if you've just got a 360 the Borderlands games are great, with stylised cartoon violence.

I keep telling him no way on Sniper.

 

Borderlands is an interesting idea maybe, the boys have a 360 at their mums, but they play on my PS3 here and I have the first 2 games. Might see if he wants a go on that. In fact, I need to get back on them myself to finish them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2017 at 09:50, Syntax said:

My 7 year old is now totally addicted to Trove, Roblox, and Minecraft.  I have literally no idea what is going on in any of them!  I feel so old!  I had a quick search for Roblox on the forum and only led me to this thread, it would however seem to be the game that ALL the kids play these days.

 

Loads of of them play Roblox, I'm surprised by how full it is of copywrite infringing versions of Pokemon and stuff.

 

 

3 hours ago, Vorgot said:

I'm finding it tougher to regulate my boys now that they are 13 and 11, they have been gaming since they could talk, and have been through a vast set of genres. My 13 year old loves strategy and rhythm action stuff, so he has a slightly disturbing obsession with Hatsune Miku and the other vocaloids, but thats branched out now into Manga and Anime as well which I enjoy watching with him. He loves Civ as well, and spotted Advance Wars in my Edge Best 100 games mag, so he is now glued to that on my PSP via emulation. So he is easy to keep happy.

 

My 11 year old is more of a pain. He is into more action oriented games, and really wants to play FPS's which I'm not keen on him getting into yet, neither is his Mum. He plays Skyrim tons, which I don't object to as it's fantasy violence, and we branched out to Assassins Creed Black Flag, which he loves, but I am loathe to get him on to gun battle games. I don't know if it's just a weird mindset for me but I don't mind him playing Infamous, AC, Force Unleashed as they are so far removed from reality. He keeps nagging me to play Sniper Elite, but thats a step too far for me. Anyone else with children that age can fill me in on their thoughts? Am I showing a huge double standard here?

 

This is an issue I'm having. Some of my ten year old's friends are allowed to play COD, Sniper Elite and GTA. It's also incredibly hard to make sure they never accidentally see a bit of something on YouTube. Destiny/Halo worked well, giving him a popular, cool FPS that I didn't think was too violent.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

 

This is an issue I'm having. Some of my ten year old's friends are allowed to play COD, Sniper Elite and GTA. It's also incredibly hard to make sure they never accidentally see a bit of something on YouTube. Destiny/Halo worked well, giving him a popular, cool FPS that I didn't think was too violent.

 

I have to say he is pretty good at self regulating. They have access to my Steam library and he always calls and asks if he can play something new if he is at his mums. He also tells me what he has played at his mates. Youtube is very difficult to regulate, but he gets guilty if he has watched stuff he shouldn't and tells me about it. I think we have missed the Detiny boat now, don't know how much action we would get on a PS3 with others, but if I get them a PS4 for christmas, that opens up a whole bunch of new possibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lego city and Lego Marvel both have good open worlds to explore, but they are really limited compared to GTA and its engine, obviously.  

 

as an aside to the suitability of games, I am amazed at how much my son just loves watching people playing games on youtube, even minimalistic rubbish games.  He was watching a guy play some sort of snake clone for ages the other day.  Another was some sort of GTA thing where you were a frog running around city.  Kids are weird.

 

He also loves watching all these Nerf war videos which are basically rich Americans in their massive houses who have every nerf gun in the world and loads of video editing equipment making cool nerf war films.  Im sure they probably are raking a packet in from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2017 at 13:49, Jolly said:

My two are 6 and 4 and are both pretty big on games; Nintendo stuff mostly. I don't feel like I've pushed it too heavily on them but then my son was able to correctly identify Mario and Luigi before he got a complete handle on the difference between Mum and Dad.

 

The thing I find most difficult as a gaming parent is not to be snobby about the stuff they choose to play rather than the stuff I suggest. My daughter went through a stage of playing some FTP Pokémon/Strategy game hybrid on the tablet and I could barely hide my contempt until I realised it was exactly the kind of thing my parents were doing when I was listening to music that didn't have guitars in it.

 

Favourites include Smash Bros, Minecraft, Pokémon, Super Mario 3D World, and "Joy Pack Pack Rider" (Jetpack Joyride). Other hilarious mispronunciations include "Wild Luigi" and "Peter Chu" (Waluigi and Pikachu respectively).  My daughter also once swore blind there was a Pokémon called "Classic Jones".

 

Shameless plug, but I often write about gaming and my children:

 

And This Little PEGI Went Wah-Wah-Wah - When I lost my mind and tried to get them to play Street Fighter.

 

Super Mario Mister Maker- This is when I asked them to design the box art for a bunch of games based on my description

 

Judgebox Jury - When I asked them both to review inappropriate games based entirely on the front cover

 

Peter Chu - god I can't breathe! Oh god!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Roblox is a huge hit with my kids and their mates at school. Looks like absolute shit to me, but it's harmless enough and they play online with a lot, the figures and extras you get with it seem ok too. One of them has started building his own games with builder club, I chip in with the odd idea but it's going to take him a while to sort I think. I have twins and one of them has his own youtube channel but I don't think it's right to plug it, strange really as in school he's quite reserved....

 

I can never understand how much time they spend watching people play games they actually own, but I guess that's just me showing my age?

 

I'll let one of them play Just cause but I draw the line at GTA, especially as he's looking to go online with it and I can't regulate the amount of swearing involved.

 

I will regularly try and steer them away from spending their money on shit games, which can be a bit of a battle at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Bump!

 

I've introduced my 3 year old to gaming proper this weekend. She's watched me before but I chose her first hands-on experience to be Kirby's Epic Yarn on Wii. It looks lovely and the first few levels are so peril-free it was hard for her to make too much of a hash of it. We played 2 player with my wife and took turns to guide her when she got stuck but it melted my little heart when she shouted 'look I did it!' when she jumped over an obstacle. :wub: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pre-lockdown my nephew and I played a bunch of Kirby Super Star (which still holds up today ;) ) on the SNES Classic Mini and it was awesome fun - cute enough to be accessible but still massively rewarding and satisfying for both of us. It also has plenty of spontaneous humour when we're trying to salvage our disastrous efforts, and is generally a wholesome time. ^_^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been educated recently as my nieces (7 and 9) have a PS3 under the TV that is primarily used as a movie player. They don't play games and I picked up Lego Pirates of the Caribbean and Lego Jurassic Park for them.  They couldn't get out of the first room on Pirates, and while they loved JP they needed a walkthrough and also to Google so much that I would have taken for granted. Specifically things like, when the screen shows you the letter L in a circle  with an animated pattern around it, that means rotate the L stick clockwise.  Or just knowing that L3 means press the stick in.  It really made me think how impenetrable video games must be for people who never played them at all. They got there in the end and loved JP but Pirates of the Carribean had them stuck in the first room and when I was last visiting I couldn't work it out either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like pirates is just badly designed shite. I often found the Lego games were a bit rubbish when my kids used to play them.

 

I’m amazed by how my kids are still so into Minecraft. I pay for a Realms subscription for them so they and their friends can play online together in the same world even when some of them are offline. It’s been years and they still play it constantly especially now that Fortnite is dead and everyone hates it (their opinion not mine).

 

What I really notice is how much Twitch popularity affects their choices. The younger one pretty much only plays new games if they’re big on YouTube and streaming. Fall Guys, Among us or whatever. My older one just loves PvP, whether it’s minecraft, CSGO, Valorant or whatever. They’re spending a lot less on micro transaction shite since they got sick of Fortnite and realised all the money that’s gone into it is just gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Broker said:

Sounds like pirates is just badly designed shite. I often found the Lego games were a bit rubbish when my kids used to play them.

 

I’m amazed by how my kids are still so into Minecraft. I pay for a Realms subscription for them so they and their friends can play online together in the same world even when some of them are offline. It’s been years and they still play it constantly especially now that Fortnite is dead and everyone hates it (their opinion not mine).

 

What I really notice is how much Twitch popularity affects their choices. The younger one pretty much only plays new games if they’re big on YouTube and streaming. Fall Guys, Among us or whatever. My older one just loves PvP, whether it’s minecraft, CSGO, Valorant or whatever. They’re spending a lot less on micro transaction shite since they got sick of Fortnite and realised all the money that’s gone into it is just gone.

 

My Boys 7/9 still massive Minecraft fans as well as other xbox/switch games.  So far we've resisted Fortnite but the clamour is growing.  I kind of want to get it over with so they can play and hopefully move on but my wife is resistant and he has a nice circle of mates who dont play it it.  I dont want to be the first to intorduce it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I've found, when trying to be a responsible parent, is that PEGI ratings for games are absolutely useless when it comes to deciding what's suitable for kids. My son (11) has been going through a big Star Wars phase recently and I was amazed to find that both Battlefront II and Jedi Fallen Order are rated 16. There's nothing whatsoever in either of those that he won't have seen in the movies or cartoon series that he loves. Having played them both, I'm very comfortable with him having access to them, with voice chat for randoms disabled of course.

 

(What makes this doubly frustrating is that the PlayStation automatically blocks all online features for any game that's rated above your child's actual age. You can't override this in any way. Thankfully Xbox allows a parent to grant access to a specific game for a child's account, and that includes all appropriate online features, dependent on course on the specific parental controls you've set up. It's yet another reason why we're increasingly going with Xbox for all our gaming needs).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My kids absolutely love the Xbox - I thought Game Pass would have been a smash hit with so many games for them to choose from.  Whereas my 10 year old daughter really enjoys multiplayer-centric titles such as Overcooked and Moving Out, my 12 year old son always seems to gravitate towards Fortnite.  Fucking Fortnite.  I hate it, it's so.... shit.  (Yes, I'm that parent on the picture on the last page)

 

Anyway, I got them (well, and me!) a Switch for Christmas.  My daughter adores it and has played on Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion.  My son picked it up for a rare go on Saturday.  What did he install?  Fucking Fortnite.

 

PLEASE someone tell me that Fortnite is a phase he'll grow out of.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

(What makes this doubly frustrating is that the PlayStation automatically blocks all online features for any game that's rated above your child's actual age. You can't override this in any way. Thankfully Xbox allows a parent to grant access to a specific game for a child's account, and that includes all appropriate online features, dependent on course on the specific parental controls you've set up. It's yet another reason why we're increasingly going with Xbox for all our gaming needs).

 

Ah yes, I had this when I had to set up my son with a PS account when my Series X broke just before Christmas. I wanted to make use of the parental controls so I told the PS his real date of birth. All my effort at setting up his account was rendered useless once I realised it would never let him play Fortnite (the only reason I was setting up an account was so that he could have his Fortnite gear synched across) and there is no way that I could find to edit his birth date.

 

I had to abandon that account and make a new one, forgoing any parental controls at all, which is a shame.

 

The parental controls for the Xbox are really good, though I did get eventually get very annoyed with being booted from Rocket League mid-match because his time ran out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, dumpster said:

I've been educated recently as my nieces (7 and 9) have a PS3 under the TV that is primarily used as a movie player. They don't play games and I picked up Lego Pirates of the Caribbean and Lego Jurassic Park for them.  They couldn't get out of the first room on Pirates, and while they loved JP they needed a walkthrough and also to Google so much that I would have taken for granted. Specifically things like, when the screen shows you the letter L in a circle  with an animated pattern around it, that means rotate the L stick clockwise.  Or just knowing that L3 means press the stick in.  It really made me think how impenetrable video games must be for people who never played them at all. They got there in the end and loved JP but Pirates of the Carribean had them stuck in the first room and when I was last visiting I couldn't work it out either.

Yep. Gamers make games, unfortunately for anyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.