IGNORED

Manchester by the sea

Tempy

No forum love for this?

I watched it last night and thought it was brilliant. A well written film and some very good performances, especially from Casey Affleck. I wasn't sure what to make of his performance to begin with. He's very monotone, direct and almost lacking in emotion. Although his delivery makes for some funny scenes early on, I didn't initially get what all the fuss was about. When you later learn the reason for his character being the way he is, it makes sense and he carries the movies really well. It's funny and at times utterly heartbreaking, but that might just be because becoming a dad has turned me into a softy :)

Sorry I'm not the greatest at writing reviews, but thought I would recommend people see it. I was surprised there wasn't already a thread about it. I always enjoy reading the forum take on films.

Yes those scenes in particular were amazing and the other two that got me...

Spoiler

...where when Patrick is at the fridge and the grief of his father's death finally starts to hit him, but more so the scene where Lee's ex wife is trying to reconnect with him again because she clearly still loves him, but cannot forgive him for what happened whilst struggling with the absolute heartache of losing her kids. Very well acted by Michelle Williams.

Just back from this. Genuinely deeply moving, but in a subtle way. I think it'll be one of those films that will stick in my mind for a while. The scenes mentioned above, agree completely. Hard one to really comment on but Casey Afleck just shot up in terms of what I thought he was capable of portraying, he was brilliant. 

• 2 weeks later...

The most powerful and emotional film I've seen in a very long time. Casey Affleck's performance is remarkable - I don't know how he does it, but he's basically playing a bloke who just happens to be bottling up a lot of grief without ever really letting it all out. Sounds pretty simplistic but the overall effect is so impressive. Having seen this and Andrew Garfield's brilliant performance in Hacksaw Ridge, if I had to choose which of these 2 was more deserving of the Oscar, I'd have to say Affleck.

Beautifully shot, the music adds to the emotion and tension and there are some really tender scenes mixed in as well.

It's a brilliant film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...