rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mystacon

Star Wars: Destiny CCG (Crack card game)

Ok, I think there's probably enough of us at least having a go at this now and I know someone in the general thread had posed the idea of splitting it off.

Just a thread to discuss the game and complain about the lack of booster packs :D

Anyone new to it that wants to know more, here's a good 'how to play' vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPu9pp2WOM&t=2s

• Upvote 1

I said in general thread - I playing a casual chums game next week.

He says you need to spend £80ish quid (a box of boosters) to get a good chances at a properly decent deck.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure you need a whole box of boosters to have a decent game personally.

Me and a mate had a bunch of fun games just using both starter decks. Since then we've had 10 booster packs each which has opened things up and given us more options, but it probably depends on whether you're looking to play casually or in tournaments.

At the moment it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other as it's impossible to find boosters anyway!

The mechanics of the game are brilliant - it plays well, plays fast and it's unlike any other card game I've played.

If I had a concern, it would be to 'stay on top of it' would require an inordinate amount of cash.  The next cycle of cards is coming out soon and they'll phase out the original release (which was tragically under-shipped).  

But - if you go into it with the aim of playing and trading with your mates, buying a tenners worth of boosters every couple of weeks - you'll get a lot of fun out of it.

I've already got Han Solo, Jabba and Crime Lord cards.  I don't really have the cards to make use of them in a useful deck - I could sell those 3 cards for about 60 quid!

You can have huge fun with just the two starter packs (Rey and Finn vs Kylo and stormtrooper) - and that's only £25. But it's relatively easy to then add ten viable cards to each deck via about a dozen booster packs (once stores are restocked). So that's about £60. That gets you two 'tournament-legal' 30-card decks, and then the strategic options open right up.

The big challenge is getting characters and legendaries. I have opened about 32 packs, and only drawn about 6 characters. Still really want some yellow villains, like Jabba/Jango, as the yellow events and upgrades are by far the most fun to play.

A highly recommended game, huge fun to play, looks simple but has huuuge depth. No two games ever the same etc.

But, if you're inherently a 'gotta have 'em all' type, I would run a fucking mile from this!

• Upvote 1

Naturally as my collection grows, I have accrued a fuck-tonne of duplicates, especially lots of blue villain events I'll never need. I'll get a list up when I'm back on my mac and happily put them in the free-to-whoever-would-benefit pool.

• Upvote 1

sounds like a good idea!

My pal who I play this most with has Jango and he's an ABSOLUTE BASTARD.  He activates as soon as one of your characters activates... which means he can spend his dice next turn and you can't do anything about it.  Grrr.

You can always pass and try to force him to play Jango before you activate a character. But yeah, on the whole he is an utter bast. And I want him so much!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sdmilne said:

What's the deal with the booster boxes?  It simultaneously lists there being 10 in stock and the item being a preorder?

I can only assume they've got 10 available to pre-order. Does seem a bit contradictory I admit.

Oh god. It's been confirmed for 6.30 tonight.

I'll have a starter set and all the boosters possible ordered by midnight.

• Upvote 1

Going by the scarcity of Awakenings boosters, I'm wondering if I might preorder a box of the Spirit of Rebellion packs.

TBH think I'm ok.

I enjoyed that as it occured (we played with pre-built starter decks - which only had 20 cards? So might help explain why it felt a bit limited)  - but it feels like games would be very samey unless you played a mix of people all buying tons of boosters. (e.g. both with basic starters would get pretty old fast - I know that's the point).

Also with everything having dice etc, the RNG nature of boosters...I don't feel the pull to "get just a little better". It's quick, simple and fun - but between card draw and dice roles there's too much RNG for me to feel desire to make a deck. Especially with the expense of it - and the comparative rarity of people (for me) to play with.

Tempted to pick up a Rebel starter pack so I can play a game or two with chum who bought Imperial pack - but really can't see myself progressing much past that.

The guy I played with seemed to feel pretty similar - If I bought it we might play casually once every while, but I can't see us really commiting to it. (he's huge into Netrunner for example).

Both liked the idea, but felt it wasn't grabbing in execution to bother. (Especially as he was saying you sometimes need 2 of certain cards/dice to use - so have to beat RNG twice? Also it seems rare to see single boosters due to the 6 legendaries per box rule [he might be mispresenting that - it was based on a quick read). How difficult is it to keep track of all the different dice and you buy more and more?

I think the telling thing was at the end of our "session" (pre-boardgame group night) neither of even suggested playing more. Just went onto other "proper" games.

If they sold, say, a 100 card "basic" collection to play and build decks with and then bigger expansions adding lots of cards maybe (even with "boosters" as well) - I'd be all over it, but the model just doesn't appeal.

Phew was worried for a bit there.

• Upvote 1

Glad you survived intact. You scratched the itch. Never go back, and do not, under any circumstances, open a booster pack!

• Upvote 2

it's all about deck building isn't it? About creating the best deck you can from the cards you have to win the next game... I was a massive MTG player back in the day (1994!!) but haven't played a CCG since then... and I absolutely love Destiny.  I'm cool with the RNG nature of it.  In many ways, it means players can't just spend their way to victory.  I feel as though the game is balanced well enough to have well thought out decks with no legendaries able to compete.  In fact - the most powerful deck in the game seems to be one that plays to Jango Fett and General Veers.  Neither of which are legendary cards...

• Upvote 1

You can build a very competitive deck with any of the characters really. Many of the legendary characters and supports are very costly in your deck, so there are lots of checks and balances. The fact that the meta is still totally fluid shows that even having all of the cards doesn't imply a guaranteed best deck.

10 hours ago, Hexx said:

TBH think I'm ok.

I enjoyed that as it occured (we played with pre-built starter decks - which only had 20 cards? So might help explain why it felt a bit limited)  - but it feels like games would be very samey unless you played a mix of people all buying tons of boosters. (e.g. both with basic starters would get pretty old fast - I know that's the point).

Also with everything having dice etc, the RNG nature of boosters...I don't feel the pull to "get just a little better". It's quick, simple and fun - but between card draw and dice roles there's too much RNG for me to feel desire to make a deck. Especially with the expense of it - and the comparative rarity of people (for me) to play with.

Tempted to pick up a Rebel starter pack so I can play a game or two with chum who bought Imperial pack - but really can't see myself progressing much past that.

The guy I played with seemed to feel pretty similar - If I bought it we might play casually once every while, but I can't see us really commiting to it. (he's huge into Netrunner for example).

Both liked the idea, but felt it wasn't grabbing in execution to bother. (Especially as he was saying you sometimes need 2 of certain cards/dice to use - so have to beat RNG twice? Also it seems rare to see single boosters due to the 6 legendaries per box rule [he might be mispresenting that - it was based on a quick read). How difficult is it to keep track of all the different dice and you buy more and more?

I think the telling thing was at the end of our "session" (pre-boardgame group night) neither of even suggested playing more. Just went onto other "proper" games.

If they sold, say, a 100 card "basic" collection to play and build decks with and then bigger expansions adding lots of cards maybe (even with "boosters" as well) - I'd be all over it, but the model just doesn't appeal.

Phew was worried for a bit there.

Thankyou!!  This post, combined with the realisation that I'd rarely get to actually play it has put me off my plan to buy the starter sets and a stupid amount of boosters. So rather than not spend any money, I did the obviously sane thing and went and bought Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn AND an expansion pack instead.....

This fucking hobby!!  Already bought Inis and Arctic Scavengers this week.  :blink:

• Upvote 5

On 26/01/2017 at 08:53, sdmilne said:

Thankyou!!  This post, combined with the realisation that I'd rarely get to actually play it has put me off my plan to buy the starter sets and a stupid amount of boosters. So rather than not spend any money, I did the obviously sane thing and went and bought Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn AND an expansion pack instead.....

This fucking hobby!!  Already bought Inis and Arctic Scavengers this week.  :blink:

Just call me....hero

• Upvote 1

It's a great game, I'd still recommend you give it ago. Even if you just buy the 2 starter sets and leave it at that, it's a quick game to bring out every now and then. You could treat it like a copy of love letter. It's novel with the dice and as others have said, the dice keeps a lid on ppl spending stupid money just to get cards that allow them to win all the time.

Well the good news is, to answer my own question from a few weeks back, that Waterstones are indeed stocking this. I popped into my local branch this morning and they have shelf space for both starter packs and boosters.

The bad news is, obviously, they're out of boosters.

The even badder news is that my nephew came round this afternoon and showed absolutely zero interest in playing it. Also, his literacy skills aren't improving and he's still stubbornly refusing to even try. So I've not even had a chance to play the game.

1 hour ago, oneusernametorulethemall said:

It's a great game, I'd still recommend you give it ago. Even if you just buy the 2 starter sets and leave it at that, it's a quick game to bring out every now and then. You could treat it like a copy of love letter. It's novel with the dice and as others have said, the dice keeps a lid on ppl spending stupid money just to get cards that allow them to win all the time.

Oh God.  Don't.

Im already on the verge of ordering Good Cop Bad Cop! 

• Upvote 1

I've checked my usual places (Amazon and Choas Cards mostly) - but is anyone aware of anywhere selling Rey Starter for £15 (inc p&p).

Might try and have a game this weekend :)