Terminator 6: Dark Fate - Cameron to oversee - November 2019

Goose

10 minutes ago, Revival said:

Sad face

The whole premise doesn't work if the main characters aren't afraid and know how to damage the Terminator. Who's hunting who?

Agreed.

After I binned my script for a Terminator 4 when Genisys came out (the Terminator was a baby, infiltrating John Connor’s daycare), I submitted a new script that focused on bringing that fear of the unknown back to the franchise, by doing the only logical thing: targeting John Connor’s Great-Great Grandmother - Fanny O’Connor, a backscrubber in 1840’s Dublin.

The fool’s passed. Fools!

Look what I've just noticed: 6 instalments each. First film is edge-of-seat horror, second is amazing action, third is shite with some good bits, fourth, fifth and sixth are complete shite...err... 4, 5 and 6 aren't numbered. Uncanny the similarities! Anything else?

Alien (1979)

Aliens (1986)

Alien³ (1992)

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Prometheus (2012)

Alien: Covenant (2017)

The Terminator (1984)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)

Terminator Salvation (2009)

Terminator Genisys (2015)

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Jesus that trailer looks crap.

Why can’t they make a near unstoppable, soulless metal robot covered in human flesh scary again?

Why does every new Terminator have to have some crazy new gimmick?

The T-1000 was the limit and worked well for an action movie. And even then it was chilling because it was calmly stabbing people.

They should forcibly have the CGi taken away. Make them work for it, use proper effects again and only have the odd bit of CGi when it can't be achieved. Try for an action film that doesn't actually look like a cartoon and those sky scenes can go straight in the bin.

All the great directors who made the iconic originals using practical special effects on the day of shooting and then returned to the same films wouldn't or couldn't make them the same way again (Spielberg, Scott). Other directors who relied so much on practical effects like Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam don't work the same way in their modern films. The industry changed and so did their methods. They have a story, a vision, and go to their special effects guys and ask them how do we do this? Then as now, and just go with it. I want those who knew the importance of realness and the magic of effects shot in camera on the day would carry that lived-in quality to their modern films but they never do*. If they shot with film they now use digital because it's more flexible and cheaper (Lynch, Tsukamoto). I love catching an unknown film from the early 00s and thinking it's so humdrum and dry and real it feels so much like a late 80s indie film. Stuart A Life Backwards from 2007 has that feel about it. So divorced from modern filming styles, so refreshing.

*Gilliam tried, he wanted an animatronic wolf in The Brothers Grimm but they struggled and he still pressed for it until the point they said they'd need to do it using cgi, which Gilliam eventually accepted. And it looks shit, and this was only in 2005.

https://qz.com/674547/hollywoods-special-effects-industry-is-cratering-and-an-art-form-is-disappearing-along-with-it/

58 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

All the great directors who made the iconic originals using practical special effects on the day of shooting and then returned to the same films wouldn't or couldn't make them the same way again (Spielberg, Scott). Other directors who relied so much on practical effects like Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam don't work the same way in their modern films. The industry changed and so did their methods. They have a story, a vision, and go to their special effects guys and ask them how do we do this? Then as now, and just go with it. I want those who knew the importance of realness and the magic of effects shot in camera on the day would carry that lived-in quality to their modern films but they never do*. If they shot with film they now use digital because it's more flexible and cheaper (Lynch, Tsukamoto). I love catching an unknown film from the early 00s and thinking it's so humdrum and dry and real it feels so much like a late 80s indie film. Stuart A Life Backwards from 2007 has that feel about it. So divorced from modern filming styles, so refreshing

More of this please.

Yeah this looks like a weird fan film with lots of remixes, trying to tick multiple check boxes. I think at this point the ONLY way to make a GOOD Terminator film is this...

1 ) Call the film Terminator. Just Terminator. Not Terminator : Dark Skies, not Terminator : ShadowCloud etc. Just Terminator

2) Have NO returning actors, not even Arnie.

3) Re imagine the FIRST film, return to the 'horror' aspect of the series

or

1) 90 minute future war film with no fat

2) continue from the T3 ending where the world get nuked

3) end / cut to black when reese travel to 1984

4) don't make any more fucking terminator movies

or

get Denis Vilenueve to make sequels to Robocop, Terminator and Alien, because it's him and him alone that has made a sequel to an 80's sci fi classic that didn't shit the bed...would also accept George Miller.

Anyone remember when a teaser was around 10-20 seconds and not just another trailer? Digressions aside, this was a garbled mess. They would’ve been better off releasing nothing at all before a proper, story based trailer. 

Have to agree with the new terminator designs as well. T-1000 was the last one that felt like a natural evolution. Marcus Wright in Salvation was conceptually interesting, but not really a terminator. It’s like every new film tries to awkwardly combine the terminator designs before it. T3 was endoskeleton with liquid metal, and now this is combing endoskeleton with whatever nanobollocks they used in Genisys - despite it supposedly being a clean break from those films. 

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah this looks like a weird fan film with lots of remixes, trying to tick multiple check boxes. I think at this point the ONLY way to make a GOOD Terminator film is this...

1 ) Call the film Terminator. Just Terminator. Not Terminator : Dark Skies, not Terminator : ShadowCloud etc. Just Terminator

4) set it in Canada

5) make Sarah Connor Canadian

6)have the Terminator say "I'll be back.... In aboot 5 minutes"

7)instead of round glowing red eyes, make them glowing red maple leaves

One of the weirdest things about the trailer for me is how calm Sarah Connor is when firing a bazooka, just no emotion. Compare it to this:

sarah_connor_linda_hamilton_t2.jpg

I suppose you get used to the threat of a nuclear holocaust after 30 years.

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

Was negging this post just a reaction to it being from Capwn?

Because he's right. 

Of all the critisicms I could throw at the trailer that isn't one of them - who knows what the fuck is going on and who cares about any of these characters fighting? Such a spectacularly bad trailer fuck me I really can't get over it 

That's how you do a teaser trailer

3 gets a lot of stick but it was a lot better than I expected a non Cameron Terminator so many years after the first 2. Also you can clearly see all the money on the screen.

it us some interesting ideas - evolving Sky et to be software (rather than the large super computer plugged into a bunker that we will imagined it to be in the 80's) plus being a defence network that saw all humans as the enemy felt like a natural evolution.

It also has a fantastic chase scene in it (with the crane - properly felt like two unstoppable machines at loggerheads - with an outstanding resolution), also liked the Electromagnet but and the ending was unexpected, memorable and actually made a lot of sense (I.e. The mission was to get John to survive Judgement Day not to prevent Judgement Day)

Not outstanding but way better than it should have been.

awhereas subsequent films think saying "I'll be Back" and "Come with me if you want to live" completely out of context and thinking this has resonance for the characters (as opposed to just being lazy nostalgia box ticking for the audience - the phrases have no meaning for the characters in the later films only the audience members) qualifies as sharp scriptwriting. 

If they cut the jokes, changed the colour grading and added judicious use of the fiedel theme then I really think t3 would be pretty decent. I loved that first trailer back in the day, trying to stream on 56k. that had the theme and the metal title cards too. 

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

If they cut the jokes, changed the colour grading and added judicious use of the fiedel theme then I really think t3 would be pretty decent. I loved that first trailer back in the day, trying to stream on 56k. that had the theme and the metal title cards too. 

I remember the countdown website for this. I watched it the second it was released, then downloaded it from Dave’s Trailer Page :wub:

It’s an awful film though, just a bad rehash of T2. Bad jokes, terrible action, and a nonsensical plot filled with coincidences.

The ending is good, mind.

T3 is definitely my least favourite: the stupid Elton John glasses, "talk to the hand", John Connor being a whiny little shit, Claire Danes looking and acting about twenty years older than John, the TX looking like a character from The Matrix. It was all shit. 

Well the ending was good, a Terminator film where they don't stop judgement day! Also its version of the Terminator theme with orchestral parts was pretty great.

The liquid terminator coming off the chassis  of the exoskeleton one was pretty cool though.

Almost all of them after 2 have some sort of really good elements let down by the rest of the movie, 3 has the crane chase and ending , Genesis has the re imagined opening to 1 which is actually pretty well done other than Jai, salvation as some interesting terminator designs and grittier fight against the machines, at least in the opening. But it's like they've not had the courage of their convictions or have been hamstrung by having to make sure that they could be shown to as wide an audience as possible so were watered down by committee.