Terminator 6: Dark Fate - Cameron to oversee - November 2019

Goose

It was fun to watch, better than any of the trailers suggested, but it’s just another Terminator sequel that isn’t worthy of inclusion in a box set with the first two. And with the talk of this being the start of a new trilogy (again) I’m not all that interested in finding out what happens next.

Even with Cameron as producer, no other director can bring to the table what he does when it comes to the art of film making. If nothing else, the first two would always have that going for them. But I repeat, it’s fun and Grace is MVP.

I think there must have been big changes to the film at some point, or maybe certain characters were going to play bigger roles.

Spoiler

When they first started filming they were using the station wagon from T2, so they must have been filming flashback scenes with uncle Bob.

I've just come back from seeing it again:

Spoiler

Dani is just not interesting or convincing enough to play the part she plays. There's no way they can do the planned trilogy with her as the main character. 

I know they kind of wanted this one to be about girl power, but then why is Dani's appearance flawless after every scene? She's in explosions and she always comes out of it with fresh makeup and nice hair. That doesn't represent a strong female character at all. This does:

Terminator+2+04.jpg

I still hope they make more films, because I always need Terminator in my life. I just can't imagine it without Arnie and/ or John.

16 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I've just come back from seeing it again:

Reveal hidden contents

Dani is just not interesting or convincing enough to play the part she plays. There's no way they can do the planned trilogy with her as the main character. 

I know they kind of wanted this one to be about girl power, but then why is Dani's appearance flawless after every scene? She's in explosions and she always comes out of it with fresh makeup and nice hair. That doesn't represent a strong female character at all. This does:

Terminator+2+04.jpg

I still hope they make more films, because I always need Terminator in my life. I just can't imagine it without Arnie and/ or John.

Spoiler

I wasnt really sold on Dani. I liked Grace though. The terminator was short horned in , I honestly dont think he was really needed and after his introduction I felt the film went the way of genesis.

I might write my own version of t3.

I watched this last night and drank far too much for a school night. 

It’s certainly the most competently made of the series since T2, the opening chase scene in particular was quite gripping. It definitely put me in mind of the Halloween remake, with Linda Hamilton recast as the grizzled hunter of hunters and making a good fist of it - Arnie’s turn is also pretty respectable. 

But ultimately it’s still a pale imitation of that first movie and, like everything after T2 (which at least advanced the creative elements of the robots) it’s trading on previous successes without really doing anything original - so in this case it’s a Terminator which is both 101 and T1000. Well done guys, it must have taken all afternoon to come up with that!

The plot whips along and doesn’t really have the creative force to match and so has loads of contrivances to patch over the cracks. Spoilers:

Spoiler

The explanation of how Arnie knew about the incoming terminators and was able to text Sarah was pure nonsense. 

I also thought the killing of John by another terminator, undoing the end of T2 again was a bit shit. 

Saw it yesterday as was at a loose end, agreed that Linda Hamilton and Grace were ace, Grace in particular. But yeah otherwise another disposable sequel.

Spoiler

Killing off Grace in particular while fitting the story seems a waste, particularly as Dani was pretty uninspiring. They were trying to recreate what they had in T1 in Linda Hamilton being unprepared and then becoming a bad ass, but she just doesn't have it. Having Grace survive to lead the resistance would have been more interesting and a bit of a change.

I know I shouldn't expect too much thinking from a Terminator movie, but they could have done something else. I mean there could be literally hundreds of defunct Terminators wandering around at this stage not knowing what to do, and there might have been some musing there that as this story progresses humans are becoming more like machines and Vis versa. I thought the new Terminator being better able to ape human behaviour was a nice start. 

I went in with low expectations, pretty much deciding at the last minute to give it a try because I was at a loose end. I loved it. It's not T2, but then, what is? It's still the best action movie I've seen in the last few years.

I agree with what's been said that the first part is stronger than the second but I thoroughly enjoyed all of it apart from one section.

Spoiler

The CGI-fest with the plane and then subsequent Humvee plunge ending with the fight in the water was really weak. I just felt my attention wandering for this 15 minute segment. It was so obviously put in there because it sounded and looked cool on the storyboards but added nothing to the plot.

The film had great impetus and I really enjoyed the Mexico/Texas border setting. Since T2 this series has been dogshit but this has some smart dialogue, clear character motivations and direct plotting. The 2 hours passed very quickly.

Spoiler

Arnie's transformation into family man was a delight and his monologue about drapes made me chuckle.

Grace was fantastic throughout. And hot.

While the new terminator was fearsome at the beginning it was annoyingly stupid. I never understood why he didn't use his disguise ability to assassinate Dani. He always just ploughed into them with zero guile. This ability was utilised more cleverly in T2. 

24 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Hide contents

The CGI-fest with the plane and then subsequent Humvee plunge ending with the fight in the water was really weak. I just felt my attention wandering for this 15 minute segment. It was so obviously put in there because it sounded and looked cool on the storyboards but added nothing to the plot.

Yep.

Spoiler

I think everyone the cinema collectively rolled their eyes when it just so happened to end up hanging off the edge of a dam. As if things couldn’t possibly get any worse :lol:

Compare it to the plane sequence at the start of The Dark Knight Rises, or even the one at the beginning of Rogue Nation. They’re real, and exciting. This was fake and dull.

Also, I quite enjoyed the new terminator, but he was an absolute pushover at the end. I seem to remember Dani actually hitting him to the ground at several points?

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I went in with low expectations, pretty much deciding at the last minute to give it a try because I was at a loose end. I loved it. It's not T2, but then, what is? It's still the best action movie I've seen in the last few years.

I agree with what's been said that the first part is stronger than the second but I thoroughly enjoyed all of it apart from one section.

Reveal hidden contents

The film had great impetus and I really enjoyed the Mexico/Texas border setting. Since T2 this series has been dogshit but this has some smart dialogue, clear character motivations and direct plotting. The 2 hours passed very quickly.

Reveal hidden contents

Arnie's transformation into family man was a delight and his monologue about drapes made me chuckle.

Grace was fantastic throughout. And hot.

While the new terminator was fearsome at the beginning it was annoyingly stupid. I never understood why he didn't use his disguise ability to assassinate Dani. He always just ploughed into them with zero guile. This ability was utilised more cleverly in T2. 

I agree with most of what you’ve said. I didn’t dislike the sequence in question, but 

Spoiler

it went too long. I thought they got the tone of the film spot on and it probably has less levity than anything since The Terminator, so having a build up to the final battle that instead went for that film’s claustrophobic dread could have elevated it further.

With that said, I enjoyed it a great deal. Whether it ends up doing enough business to spawn a direct sequel rather than interminable soft-reboot remains to be seen, but I’m happy we’ve been given a new Terminator that doesn’t feel like a dodgy made-for-TV movie or risible sci-fi sitcom.

I enjoyed it, it basically was a soft reboot starting from T2 with almost all the exact same set pieces.

it was entertaining, arnie was hilarious and Linda was great. 

I think it could have done more with Mackenzie Davies character though in the present. The action set pieces were great with her though. 

12 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I thought Gabriel Luna made a great Terminator. I was worried about the casting of him initially because he's not physically imposing, but he did a good job.

I agree. It helps being in a smarter film, but he conveyed very well the dispassionate single-mindedness the first two films led you to expect from a cyborg assassin.

I've enjoyed elements of all the Terminator sequels post-T2 (even Genisys (sorry)) but not really loved any of them and this was no exception.

I liked seeing Linda Hamilton back and thought that she was both credible and vulnerable again. Davis and Reyes were good too, especially Davis.

I wish I had seen more of the Rev-9 searching and trying to find Dani, using its smarts rather than just outright murdering people. I don't think having a Terminator that separated added much that having two separate Terminators would

Seeing the quality of the writing in the post-T2 sequels, you really do get to appreciate (again) how good a story craftsman, Cameron is (or at least, was back then).

Kerrraig's done a review podcast that you may want to have a listen to, if you're into that sort of thing.

What is the Rev-9 based on? 3D printing? 
Never understood why there was two of them and how that worked.

It also had the abilities of the t-1000 but didn’t use them as much or as practically as the Robert Patrick version.

6 hours ago, Paulando said:

Hide contents

Also, I quite enjoyed the new terminator, but he was an absolute pushover at the end. I seem to remember Dani actually hitting him to the ground at several points?

Spoiler

wasnt that because the terminator "skeleton" was seperated from him - making him weaker.

15 hours ago, Zero9X said:

What is the Rev-9 based on? 3D printing? 
Never understood why there was two of them and how that worked.

Haven’t seen the movie yet, but from what the trailers show I’m guessing the Rev-9 is a layer of nanomachines (son) over the more standard Terminator exoskeleton. Nanomachines would be able to detach and replicate themselves enough to assume a separate human sized form (but they’d be limited to a certain replication number, so as not to go all ‘grey-goo’), and even imitate human appearance if they were advanced enough, but they’re also not half as durable when separated from the exoskeleton - as one part in the trailer shows when a chain swung with enough force is sufficient to cut right through the nano Terminator. 

I saw this recently and basically thought it was crap. 

I weirdly kinda love Terminator : Genisys as the whole silly, pulpy,  schlock comic-book nonsense of the film just clicked with me. I felt it was a little tongue-in cheek stupid and was running with it. In many ways it reminded me of the Dark Horse Terminator comics from the 90's. 

But yeah, Terminator : Date Fate was just a bit crap really... and rather than Genisys which I found to be stupid fun, this was worse for being straight dull and boring in most places. 

It was...ok. They really need to get over Arnie as The Terminator - I thought the strongest scenes in this was everything before he appeared. They're really struggling to make old Arnie fit into the story.

Spoiler

I really hate the 'Terminator who learned how to have a conscience' thing as well. It was ridiculous. And the whole OTT ending just reminded me of the Transformers films. 

Grace was fantastic, though. A real highlight. 

I have to chip in one line:

Everyone seems to be saying that all the Terminator films have been shit since 2, but Terminator 3 has one amazing thing that carries the whole film.  The Arnie Terminator keeps telling John that Judgement Day is inevitable, John keeps commanding Arnie to do stuff, Arnie complies but ultimately John ends up in the bunker, doing exactly what Arnie told him to do from the start, as the inevitable Judgement Day happens.  It's a fantastic narrative, the Terminator comes from the future, says what is inevitably going to happen, the cocky lead character defies this and the Terminator is right all along.  it has the best downer ending since Empire.

Yes this worked for me.  A coherent plot,  decent action, a terminator that actually brings a sense of relentless menace, Mackenzie Davies playing the best Kyle Reece role since the original film, using Arnie relatively sparingly and the return of Linda Hamilton.:sealclap:

Enjoyed it a lot.

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

I have to chip in one line:

Hide contents

Everyone seems to be saying that all the Terminator films have been shit since 2, but Terminator 3 has one amazing thing that carries the whole film.  The Arnie Terminator keeps telling John that Judgement Day is inevitable, John keeps commanding Arnie to do stuff, Arnie complies but ultimately John ends up in the bunker, doing exactly what Arnie told him to do from the start, as the inevitable Judgement Day happens.  It's a fantastic narrative, the Terminator comes from the future, says what is inevitably going to happen, the cocky lead character defies this and the Terminator is right all along.  it has the best downer ending since Empire.

The ending of Terminator 3 is great. There are quite a few decent ideas throughout the rest of it too, and I love that you effectively see judgment day take place during the film.

It just isn’t very well made. The attempts at humour are awful, the sets look rubbish and fake, the general ‘look’ of the film is poor, there are huge coincidences in the plot, and Nick Stahl is dreadful as John Connor.

Charlie Heaton from Stranger Things would’ve made a decent, older John Connor in a new sequel I reckon:

0F6EEDE1-2607-40AF-A3DC-E686A61FB363.thumb.jpeg.225a672f59a022e120308604b5d464a9.jpeg