IGNORED

Terminator 6: Dark Fate - Cameron to oversee - November 2019

Goose

Watched this tonight and thought it was a right stinker. The thing they do at the start was really interesting and then in just descents into 2 hours of chaos and bullshit.

It's done now, Hollywood just fuck this franchise off please and let's all just enjoy the 2 masterpieces it gave us.

Saw a pretty good yaaarrrr version yesterday and I enjoyed it. Dumb yes but sometimes you need that after a shit day at work.

Hamilton is great as is Arnie.

It’s better than the last one anyway 

(I know, worst praise ever) 

I thought it was quite entertaining.

The only thing that I didn't like was the young Mexican girl. When two of her relatives died she didn't even scream or cry, and was helping rob a chemists within 5 minutes. The future version was laughable.

Arnie though, was fucking incredible. Completeley stole the show as Carl. His acting and timing was on another level to everyone else in the film.

13 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

NO!!!

No more fucking reboots. No fucking soft reboot sequels just regurgitating the original with stupid fan satisfying references to the original.

Just come up with a new fucking idea! 

The Regurgitator!!!!

Feels no pity or remorse and absolutely will not stop until it has shat all over the remnants of a once mighty franchise.

This being said I did actually think this latest one was a marked improvement on the last few.

One of the main problems is that robots aren't scary any more. Back when the original Terminator came out it was playing to the whole "where does it end?" fears of a generation staring down the barrel of an automation gun.

In 2020, we know where it ends.

image.png.449529fc74aa79dcbc8bc2e67c8a04c7.png

Make a modern day horror film about, I dunno, an Amazon Prime delivery driver who gets lost, delaying the heroes delivery or something. Much more relevant these days.

I tend to agree that Terminator should just be Terminated.

But, if they have to carry on (they don't) then they should at least re-examine the premise and make something relevant to what we know about the future, automation and AI algorithms.

An intelligence from the future wouldn't hunt an American person down with a gun robot, it would exploit our surveillance capitalism to set the increasingly militarised police after them. A film where the hero gets SWATted and police brutalitied, where he's framed for terrorism and the populace are chasing him down while filming it on their iPhones and so on.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed this. The new Terminator was done superbly; his absolute singular focus on getting his target was chilling. Some properly tense sequences as well.

Couple of shit bits. The entire humvee section was trash, but there you go. Dani was hopelessly miscast.

But everyone else made up for them. Third best Terminator movie made. 

• 2 years later...

I saw this on ITV at the weekend by chance - I missed the start, came in just before Linda Hamilton turned up so I don’t know if I missed any important plot points, but I really enjoyed it.

This is the first one I’ve seen since the excruciating T3 (I think? The one with the blonde terminator and junkie Connor) and it was some very decent dumb fun, definitely elevated by the three women being the main cast for most of the running time.

I like this a lot. Easily the best of the rest.

Although the best bit in it, by a mile, is the VHS tape of Sarah’s T2 police interview, played in the title sequence. Hamilton could really act back then.

11 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

It has the the best de-ageing cgi I've seen in the opening, so you missed the only notable impressive thing in the film really. 

Oh God yes, you're talking about the beach scene, right?  I saw this and thought this was unseen footage from T2.  Wikipedia suggests it was filmed in a similar way to the redone scene in T5 i.e. used a stunt man with a similar build to Arnold, then replaced his face with a computer-generated imagery that was fed imagery data from the first two films.

The film is great though, surprised that it bombed, but I think it might have been that people were sick of the Terminator franchise by that point.

I really liked the Carl scenes in this. That was something I hadn't seen before, and was an interesting take on the series - I would have liked to have seen much more of that sort of thing. And Arnie's performance in those bits is really, really good. The rest of the film just felt like another run through Terminator 2, with a Mexican twist. I think I preferred Genesys, which ultimately was not a very good film, but at least tried to do something different with its endless supply of ridiculous ideas.

2 minutes ago, K said:

The rest of the film just felt like another run through Terminator 2, with a Mexican twist. 

Yeah.  In fact I think to me it seemed like Terminator 2 and 3 (the good parts of T3).