Your Name

womblingfree

I'd heard a little bit about this and searched it out in London. It's not on very many places but saw the 5.30pm performance today at the Odeon on Panton St in London. Dragged my girlfriend along against her will as the thought of sitting through some weird Japanese manga thing filled her with horror. She loved it.

After gushing about LaLa Land last week I think this may actually beat it as my favourite film of recent times. The whole cinema was sitting with trembling lips and teared up eyes for at least a third of the film. I was excited to find out it was written and directed by Makoto Shinkai as I love She & Her Cat, and Voices of a Distant Star's one of my favourite things ever.

This isn't a million miles away from Voices, but instead of him doing wonders on his G4 it's superbly illustrated, photorealistic in parts, and the story weaves and bobs to interesting, amusing and very moving places. I hadn't realised he'd become such a huge star in Japan over the years. I have to say I struggled a bit with his first couple of full length features and he dropped off my radar. This is in a different league though.

Anyway, go see it if you get the chance. And for gods sake avoid any dubbed screenings.

Watched this on the plane home and loved it. I have been wanting to watch it for ages but we can't get to the cinema because we spend all our time looking after our daughter, so I actually read the novel a while back (Shinkai wrote it at the same time as making the movie) and loved that too. I think I prefer the movie, but difficult to tell because it didn't have any element of surprise. Nevertheless, I found myself welling up on odd occasions - maybe because I knew what was coming. 

I wasn't sure whether the subtitles on the plane were the same as the commercial release... I was only half keeping an eye on them but they seemed sort of literal. How did they translate the watahi-ore-boku scene? In the subs that I watched it was something like 'I (fem)', which I thought might actually be difficult for a general audience to understand...

17 minutes ago, Tourist said:

I wasn't sure whether the subtitles on the plane were the same as the commercial release... I was only half keeping an eye on them but they seemed sort of literal. How did they translate the watahi-ore-boku scene? In the subs that I watched it was something like 'I (fem)', which I thought might actually be difficult for a general audience to understand...

I watched it on a plane as well, and I just sort of guessed that was a Japanese grammar thing. 

Just now, catinthehat said:

I watched it on a plane as well, and I just sort of guessed that was a Japanese grammar thing. 

In the Japanese it feels like quite an important element, especially in the book...

Spoiler

(although in the movie you also have the voice acting - when they switch bodies the guy's voice becomes sort of effeminate and vice versa, no?)

I guess for little kids the dubbed version could be an option. The Japanese acting's excellent though, so other than that...

Most weepy films build up to a crescendo and then hit you with the emotion. This hits you with several emotional sledgehammers for the last quarter of the film!

• 4 weeks later...

Well this was utterly fanatastic. Everything from the animation, the story, the characters, the music (loved the end credits song), it was just really emotionally. This for me is better than all the Oscar nominations for best animation and the fact this hasnt been given a nod is a travesty. Its up there with some of Ghiblis best and I'm 100% convinced had this been made by them it would have been nominated. I tend to watch Japanese animation in English dubs too but after watching this in Japanese I may have to rethink my future anime watching habbits as it just added something more to the film. I cant quite explain it but I feel it just works better than when I've watched English dubs.

Honestly, I loved it so much and I'm still welling up as I type this. If this is the quality that Makoto Shinkai is going to deliver I look forward to seeing his work for years to come. This is Miyazaki-esq brilliance and I'd urge anyone who likes his and Ghiblis work to watch this.

• 6 months later...
On 23/01/2017 at 09:10, Hellcock said:

I couldn't hold back the tears at the end.

If you enjoyed this check out '8cm per second, the speed at which the cherry blossoms fall' - you'll love it.

This is an interesting view!

I saw Your Name at the cinema a while back, and blah blah blah it's brilliant, etc. 8 centimetres per second, on the other hand, what a crock of shit!

Well, to qualify that, visually it's absolutely stunning, even better than Your Name in places. But the story! It must have been written by a 12 year old emo. Utterly pointless tripe.

I watched it when it came out in December last year and really loved it, one of my favourite films of the year. Also last night watched it again in IMAX and was great seeing it a second time. Emotional, funny, gorgeous animation and just a superb soundtrack.  Just a wonderful film.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great film and looks beautiful (Makoto Shinkai is of course the master of the background), but it's disappointing that this film is absolutely stuffed to the gills with plot holes and contrivances.

Spoiler

Would you seriously spend that much time in a place without realising you were three years in the future or past? If an entire town was annihilated by a comet, wouldn't that be super-famous just three years later in the country where it happened? Even within the supernatural conceit of the story, there's basically no reason for the smartphone notes to be deleted - and if so, why weren't the drawings the boy made destroyed? Or for that matter any of the physical notes they made, which should have reminded them all the stuff that happened as well! Immediately forgetting the events of even very vivid dreams is understandable, but also forgetting the month-long obsession of your real life that causes you to take a bizarre trip to the countryside is pretty crazy. Literally just asking one of his two companions why he said he went there and what he did should be enough to nudge him to remember, but he doesn't bother. Etc, etc.

Still, animation, emotionally and character-wise it's still fantastic and totally worth a watch. Interesting to see that Shinkai is still a fan of the old smash-cut-to-a-pop-song too.

• 3 weeks later...

The 'Your Name' Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray is up for pre-order for £49:99 at AllTheAnime.com...

https://www.alltheanime.com/collections/alltheanime-com-exclusive-products/products/your-name-ltd-deluxe-edition

...and Zavvi.com -

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/your-name-limited-deluxe-edition/11555512.html

Released on 23rd November 2017.

Contains the film on Blu-Ray and DVD with both the English dub and the original Japanese track with English subtitles. 

Presented in a rigid case, with a digipack to store the discs, plus comes with the Japanese soundtrack CD by RADWIMPS, a folded A3 poster, 128-page art book, and 10 Art Cards (one of these uniquely numbered to act as a Certificate of Authenticity).

This product is limited to 2000 units total across both Zavvi.com and AllTheAnime.com

Further details on it here - http://blog.alltheanime.com/your-name-deluxe-ed-release-details/

The other editions (Steelbook Combo pack (With OST)/Blu-ray/DVD) are out on 6th November 2017-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Name-Collectors-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B01MXXEEIM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1505950683&sr=1-1&keywords=Makoto+Shinkai