rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RJames

Consolevania's back...

19 hours ago, Dotterel said:

We're going to green screen it.

Long as one of you eats a potted plant i'll be happy.

22 hours ago, Dotterel said:

We're going to green screen it.

Can you confirm that you will be throwing a taped up mic at each other? 

13 hours ago, Napole0n said:

I'd love to see it, but I'm afraid it'll be like a Spice Girls reunion.

I'll show you how it's fucking done.

• Upvote 1

Woo, can't wait! I've backed them at the 15 quid level, purely for all the free laughs I got from them back in the day. I'll forget about the time Rab's review convinced me to buy fucking Bujingai on the PS2 though.

I bought one of those C64 tapes they recorded messages on close to the end of the run, which I still have and treasure in the back of a drawer somewhere. Here that is, if anyone's interested (left speaker only, I didn't know what I was doing back then).

• Upvote 5

Just signed up. ChuckieDregs went a bit weird towards the end and the latest series of VideoGaiden didn't do that much for me but I'm hoping this'll be brilliant.

Aye, I'd forgotten about this so just signed up for the $15 gig. They deserve some support in their native-ish country, and especially on this forum, if only to produce a counterpoint to all the Angry Cynical Shouty Video Game Fan review shite out there. It's a shame they haven't met the $5k mark yet, but hopefully if there's a good reaction to the first episode they'll get at least that far with their backers. It'd be nice to see them do this full time, at least for a while. But if the audience isn't there, what you gonna do?

The audience is there, I just think people don't really want to pay for this kind of content when there's so much already out there for free.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I meant a paying audience for this material is what isn't quite there yet. It has 300 patrons so far. The Jimquisition has over 4,800. And that's a shame - although there's time yet.

I'm no businessman, so I may well be talking out of my arse, but I think one of the issues might be the level of the pledges. The Jimquisition's start at $1 per month rather than $4 per episode, and Sterling has 4662 of those - so there must be about 140 whales on top of that, as the show's total subs come to $10.8k a month - an average of $42 from each of those? Still, the subscriber numbers are made up mainly of $1 subs.

Maybe when the show gets a bit more popular - well, when it gets made, then gets more popular - word will spread, people will see the show by other means, they'll introduce some lower subs, and subscriber numbers will swell. But evidently enough people are wiling to pay for video game review content to successfully fund other shows. I subbed the $15 simply because I want the show to be made as well as possible, for it to be a good as possible, and I'd like to see higher targets hit. If lots more people subbed and the guys were making a mint I'd happily drop the level of my sub to something more sustainable as more money rolls in. But I think if you like the product, you should be willing to pay for it if you want to see more. This applies equally to music, books, films, video games - and reviews of those things (Hi, Edge). These guys have got to make a living, and if you want them to concentrate on making stuff you like for you, and you get a reasonable amount of pleasure from it, you should be prepared to stump up the readies.

• Upvote 2

In case anyone wants to watch it on their TV - If you find the video URL from the share links on the player you can type that into the PS4 browser and it works.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MidWalian said:

Where? Or is it supporters only for now?

Fuck sake...

2 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

So if I support now I get episode 1?

Yep. Pledge levels are $4, $6 and $15 per episode. 

• Upvote 1

Spent all afternoon cooking, check my email and I'm rewarded with new Consolevania. And it's good! It's dead good.

Just finished it. On the whole I enjoyed it. Best bits were the reviews.

Gerry's podcast fell a bit flat for me and End Level Boss was rubbish but enjoyed most of the rest. Needs more reviews. Enjoyed Dogchild and the Resi/Berseria ones.

37 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Is Rab anywhere near this?

He's in the video in the first post.

• Upvote 1

Pledged. I haven't really seen much of Consolevania / Videogaiden (I'm "aware" of it from here though, and saw a clip with Frank Sidebottom in it once), but if it's not ma 'hing I can always just cancel. There's a lot of games journalism / criticism / comedy type stuff on the internet but not a lot of it is good. Happy to contribute if someone's wanting to change that.

8 hours ago, Mentazm said:

The audience is there, I just think people don't really want to pay for this kind of content when there's so much already out there for free.

Hmm. the redlettermedia guys seem to make enough to employ three people, at least part time, and most of their content is just a couple of people sitting around a table talking about film stuff. It's how most "professional" youtubers make the bulk of their money AFAIK. Honestly I think Google have really dropped the ball by allowing Patreon to become the middleman in this arrangement, they could've integrated it directly with the platform. There's lots of channels out there that I've love to support and watch without ads without needing to use a blocker.

• Upvote 3