Game Plots are rubbish

NEG

You clearly aren't playing the right games then, sweetie.

Just an excuse to post that link really.

Moreso prehaps how ninty/sega haven't improved mario and sonic as game plots.

Well Sega has, but...well...its stupid when you hear it the way that link says.

Mario games aren't plot driven, the plot is just an excuse for the character to bounce about in a narcotic induced game world

Correct. But thats a strength and weakness as well. Theres only so many times you can hear bowser kidnap the princess. Sure sonic is still about the emeralds, but in different ways now.

But that's the whole point, the story doesn't matter in Mario, the game does. Nobody played the games for the story, they played for the great levels

Exactly. And there are games that people play for the story/direction/scenario, which manage to pull off all 3 stunningly.

Silly NEG!

mp3 of it would have saved me a couple of second, also why's it sped up. But its bloody funny.

And also some stories can be good, shenmue for example, but publishers in their infinate wisdom seem to think every game needs a story mode, wether it be sonic adventure, a tennis game or tony hawks. People dont play these games for the stories, sure it links the levels/challenges together and gives you a reason to be there, but take mario for example, does it need a story? The rest of the game doesnt get explained like why there is giant melons around the beach level, or why the people are even on the island or anything. Id have prefered a mario 64 style game, heres some levels, oh and bowser is doing something nasty, now just enjoy the game, rather than why mario is there and on an island and in a prision etc.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker.

Hmmm... I certainly would not have said that Zelda pulled off a plot well. It's pretty much My First Adventure, isn't it?

The game I had in mind was Xenosaga. Anyone who's played it will understand.

Take. That. BACK :)

I'm being honest, man. I'd be fooling myself if I played it for the plot. I'm not saying that Zelda has no emotional depth but you could summarize the whole thing in about three sentences.

But yes, they certainly have good scenarios.

I'm being honest, man. I'd be fooling myself if I played it for the plot. I'm not saying that Zelda has no emotional depth but you could summarize the whole thing in about three sentences.

But yes, they certainly have good scenarios.

I actually agree, you know. Just didn't want to back down :)

How about Ultima VII: The Black Gate, though, eh? It's probably the only ostensibly D&D-influenced PC RPG to open with a seemingly simple murder mystery, the Avatar playing detective for much of the game, following leads and slowly piecing together clues. (I think the basic plot was in fact written by some clever professional screenwriter guy, or I may be misremembering the whole thing terribly. Games developers! Why not continue this trend and pay professional script/screenwriters to think up great plots for your games rather than attempting to do so yourself?)

Or, if that doesn't float your boat, how about Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja? It's probably the only game where President Ronnie has been kidnapped by the Ninjas, and determines whether or not you are a bad enough dude to rescue Ronnie.

Most plots are pretty poor, yes. Thankfully most games don't need a good plot to be fun. Well, the ones I like anyway (eg. Ikaruga).

I think it's more about the 'concept' in a lot of cases. Like Blast Corps, the game is about destroying buildings with different vehicles to stop a nuclear warhead carrying truck. That's not the plot...is it? Since there's no real story past that, it's just the concept really.

Plot done well: Final Fantasy VII

Not especially good plot but who cares anyway: Mario 64

Final Fantasy plots are pathetic. They're boringly simple stories which all the anime fanboys hype up due to the fact that they're in a game.

Final Fantasy VII's plot makes me sick.

Exactly. Except most FF fanboys seem to be COMPLETELY oblivious to that fact...