rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PeteBrant

For Honor

36 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Did search but couldn't find a topic for this

Closed beta starts today - I presume a few of us are on it?

I want the game but unfortunately waiting to see peoples intial thoughts ^_^ So yeah once everyone gets on it make sure you post in here :D

I think this could be great, but as with Luseth, I'm really waiting to hear some proper impressions and if the single player portion of the game stacks up. I'm very much up for some hack and slash fun though and the authentic nature of each characters combat is a big selling point. Hope they pull it off.

I'm in!
I've yet to play the Beta but the Alpha was great. I only played Duel Mode (1 versus 1 without perks), which is the game distilled to its essence imo. It's far deeper than you might think. It's not just stance switching, there are footsies, guard breaks, blocks, counters, cancels, parries, feints, special moves unique to each Hero, combos, chains, damage-over-time effects etc. Lots of room for high level play. It's a pretty good looking game too.

I fear the SP will be more of a (rather shallow) tutorial for the MP though, but that's based on what I've seen and read. Looking forward to playing more.

The Nobushi looks pretty cool!

36 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I fear the SP will be more of a (rather shallow) tutorial for the MP though, but that's based on what I've seen and read. Looking forward to playing more.

I was sure that I had watched something from Ubisoft stating they intended to put into the game a full blown sp experience, so that if you only ever bought the game for the sp it would still be worth the money. And they were hoping to bring in new classes too (though I suspect these will be dlc later on?)

My fingers are crossed that this game will be as good as it looks.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, I based my SP comments on a few written previews and this rather scripted, unexciting campaign footage from December.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Gk1ygqdorqk

Totally in it for the MP though.

Ah ok, thanks for the link I'll have a look when I get home this evening. I suspect the MP will be where it shines. 

That looks pretty ace. I haven't followed this at all, just kind of presumed it was going to be a bit like Chivalry. A chum sent me a beta invite yesterday so I might pop in and slap him about the face with my massive chopper.

I applied for the beta but haven't had a code.

The 2v2 mode looks ace, instead of spawning together you each start in a 1v1 on opposite sides of the map so if you win your battle you then go help out your mate, or you lose and make things harder for them, and there's scope for being outnumbered and chinning them both.

I'm....unconvinced. I played for a bout three hours last night. Couldn't get 4v4 working at all, but had several games of 2v2. It's very pretty and it sounds great and the enviroments are good (proper funny to have rush at you on a bridge, flailing with thier sword, and you block -block-block-block and then throw them off the bridge).

But its not really fun. Not for my tired old reflexes anyway. I'll give it more time over the weekend. It's very one dimenstional though, and there are an awfu lot of controller button combinations. Enough to put off my flatmate, who was properly looking forward to this. She stopped playiing towards the tutorial because she found it too much like hard work.

3 G's

1 minute ago, wretcherd said:

I applied for the beta but haven't had a code.

The 2v2 mode looks ace, instead of spawning together you each start in a 1v1 on opposite sides of the map so if you win your battle you then go help out your mate, or you lose and make things harder for them, and there's scope for being outnumbered and chinning them both.

In reality, the 2v1 sitation is almost unbeatable as the solo player. I managed it once but of the players was like one hit away from death. What usually happens is you are conentrating on what your current opponent is doing and then someone comes rushing in from the side and splits your head open.

36 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

and there are an awfu lot of controller button combinations.

That's a huge turn off for me then :(

I can't even be arsed learning the button combinations in Mortal Kombat X.

Basically you move with left stick. then its:

L2 hold :lock on

L2 tap: Change targets

Right stick: Blocking left, up or right

R1 :light attack

R2: heavy attack

(combinations thereof and always combined with right stick for direction of attack)

square: guard break followed by square to throw or R1 to hit

x: to dodge double tap to roll

Rigth stick in appropriate direction plus timed R2 :Parry

R2 plus face buttons: Execution

Dpad - Feats

Triangle : Revenge (basically a rage mode - boosts stats)

• Upvote 1

When this was first announced I was really excited, but the more I see the less I like. I watched a couple of streams and there was far too much HUD info on there, loads of clipping and weird animation glitches going on. This could be an amazing game but it actually looked boring. 

Hmm, it doesn't look very fluid at this stage and I wonder if that, along with the control issues above, will make it hard to get in to. Doesn't look quite as 'fun' as I hoped.

reminds me of dynasty warriors and another game (forgotten name) that I used to play which was essentially an endless hack and slash game.

46 minutes ago, clippa said:

Seeing this really turned me off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3yC1Yz6lA&t=3m28s

He made it sounds like "QTE combat: the game: multiplayer"

Just staring at this Clipboard01.jpg and twiddling the right analogue stick doesn't sound like a fun day out to me.

Yes, spot on. Hope that's not the case but it's starting to make infinity blade look deep

I switched the arrow thing off straight away. It is really distracting. I haven't managed an online game yet, but I actually found reading the character animations to be good enough against the bots.

The game itself is ok, and I'll keep my pre-order, but I can understand why people aren't so hyped about it.

Played a bit of this now. Not as "fun" as I thought it would be. I like the idea, it looks nice. But generally it could have been so much more I think. 

Has anyone ever done a swordfighting game that's turn-based strategy? It seems like such an obvious fit given that it's a tactically complex activity. The minute I clapped eyes on Clang it seemed obvious to me that real-time combat was a dead end, even with VR.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Played a bit of this now. Not as "fun" as I thought it would be. I like the idea, it looks nice. But generally it could have been so much more I think. 

I've only played a few games but this echoes my experience. The graphics are impressive and it's very polished, but it just isn't much fun. 

I got quite in to this in the end. With friends it is good fun in 2v2 brawl and 4v4 domination is quite tactical.

The combat really does start to open up once you get used to it and you can pull off some quite devastating combos. When you get two evenly matched players you can have fights that last quite a long time, and when you get someone that can really play, taking on 2 or even 3 people is possible.

Whilst its not gone from "meh" to "pre-order". I'll deffo pick it up  come the inevitable price drop.

Such a shame and gutted that my assumption about the lack of 'fun' seems to be right. 

This seems like such as lost opportunity.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

I got quite in to this in the end. With friends it is good fun in 2v2 brawl and 4v4 domination is quite tactical.

The combat really does start to open up once you get used to it and you can pull off some quite devastating combos. When you get two evenly matched players you can have fights that last quite a long time, and when you get someone that can really play, taking on 2 or even 3 people is possible.

Whilst its not gone from "meh" to "pre-order". I'll deffo pick it up  come the inevitable price drop.

I think it will be a pick up for me if the single player comes good. But I won't be getting it otherwise and again it will be once the price drop comes in I'm afraid.