Destiny 2: Season of Plunder! Arrrrrc 3.0. Lightfall out 28/02/23

Uncle Mike

I get you, I was just already at the why bother stage when there's no actual reward except dust. The gambit reset one isn't "that bad" as long as you don't miss the double xp weeks, and do streaks. Without that I'd not bother.

Just incase anyone has not seen it, there are full Auto mods for pulses (piece of mond is aweso.e for pvp with this), scouts and handcannons which really saves my trigger finger.

They seem to give a lot of rewards.  I did three of the practice runs, got two exotics.  Just a shame the SMG is bugged.  You can get it from the quest, but it does not drop outside of that.

• 3 weeks later...

New season starts next week and there's pretty much zero information about it at all, so expecting a pretty big shadow drop. Even this week's twab contained no info but a light subclass rework is definitely coming Tuesday.

Also announced via the twab was that in future Bungie will be adding Event Challenges, Titles and Seals to the Solstice/Guardian Games/Festival of the Lost/Dawning events which is good. Unfortunately they'll also be adding Silver/paid only cosmetic rewards tracks alongside them.

Between seasons, expansions, deluxe editions, dungeon passes, legacy content bundles and the Eververse store the monetisation is perhaps getting a bit much. Can't be far off a Destiny+ monthly sub at this point.

I kind of dropped off the last season as I became preoccupied with catching up on other games; at least this announcement comes just as I’m finding time for Destiny 2 again. :) 

I'll pop on to see what's new but until they ditch Champions, restrictive artifact mods and the endless power grind I just can't really get excited about new content. Apparently Trace rifles are finally making an appearance in the artifact which will make a nice change but the thought of being locked in to them again for the whole season if you want to do any of the fun and challenging content, because difficulty=champions, just makes me not want to even bother trying.

I quite like champions - the different ways you have to tackle each variety makes for some interesting dynamics. I really wish they'd ditch having to have the mods equipped for each weapon type. It doesn't add any additional difficulty or strategy having to make sure the right mods are installed before starting an activity - it's just some extra admin. Each weapon type should just have the requisite anti-champion effect as an inherent trait for that season.

I fell off the hamster cycle last time as I wasn't going to get some of the seasonal challenges, enough to get the big boost. Plus random groups for master content were a disaster.

Will pop back at least for the early cycle of this - the story was well told last time. Had to laugh at "the beginning of the end"....hasn't that been since Arrival :D

Hard to judge Solar 3.0 apart from the SASSY WARLOCK FINGER SNAP :omg:

I'm happy with them reusing assets from previous eras of Destiny. The Leviathan was a pretty cool environment, it makes sense to repurpose it. It would be pushing it a bit if they did this as part of an expansion, but for a seasonal thing, it's fine.

20 minutes ago, K said:

HOLY SHIT, Trespasser is back. AKA Robocop's gun, also AKA the only good sidearm until Forerunner came out.

Rat King wants a word with you :hmm:

59 minutes ago, K said:

I quite like champions - the different ways you have to tackle each variety makes for some interesting dynamics. I really wish they'd ditch having to have the mods equipped for each weapon type. It doesn't add any additional difficulty or strategy having to make sure the right mods are installed before starting an activity - it's just some extra admin. Each weapon type should just have the requisite anti-champion effect as an inherent trait for that season.

Champions used to be fun, I think it's just fatigue with them and the way Bungie just add them to certain activities just to make them harder. The problem with then having to use a specific weapon type means that the weapon that is clearly the best in its class ends up being the only weapon you use. Last season it was the Funnelweb which was fun, until suddenly it wasn't but you had to keep using an SMG because artifact mods.

The baffling thing is that they already have a precedent set for being able to use multiple weapon types for the same task in the VoG with the Oracle Disruptor mods. All the weapons are bucketed in to rapid, precision or aggressive and you use pretty much anything you want. Up close? Use an SMG,  Far away? Get your sniper out or you can use a trace rifle or LMG if you fancy.

28 minutes ago, K said:

HOLY SHIT, Trespasser is back. AKA Robocop's gun, also AKA the only good sidearm until Forerunner came out.

Yes, this is brilliant news, ridiculously fun weapon.

44 minutes ago, Hexx said:

So solar weapons for this - Sunshot, Skyburners, Polaris, Prom Lens?

Skyburners is getting all the buffs but still can't see it being used 

Increased ADS projectile speed to 9999 (i.e., this projectile is now hitscan)

Both ADS and hip-fire are now 150 RPM

Hip-fire projectile no longer tracks, but arcs similar to a Grenade Launcher and has a larger detonation size than ADS

The hip-fire detonation also applies a burn to targets

The bonus range from the Masterwork has been rolled into the base stats of the weapon

The Masterwork now grants bonus reload speed instead.

Has the highest Airborne Effectiveness stat of any weapon in the game (35)

48 minutes ago, K said:

Someone didn't spend enough time with Traveler's Chosen. That things an absolute beast.

26 minutes ago, mop said:

Someone didn't spend enough time with Traveler's Chosen. That things an absolute beast.

I forgot about Traveller's Chosen! It's savage with the catalyst. Might be worth digging out for Solar 3.0

Having just started Destiny 2, as I noticed it was now free to play, it’s intriguing to me how polished the combat feels next to what a garbled mess the story is. Seriously, there’s next to no effort spent on telling you wtf is going on. It’s just like ‘Here’s the slimmest background, now go kill some mans, yeah?’ 

I don’t know if it’s because I’m locked out of portions of the story or what. I might be tempted to do some background reading, but from what I’ve heard the lore is so dense at this point that’s it’s inadvisable to even try. 

It is about 7 years of constant story TBF. Not that it was hospitable in the first place. But the expansions, especially the latest, are meant to tell a beginning and an end so would highly recommend that. Then the seasons progress the inbetween bits before expansions little by little. It’s the most coherent it’s ever been even though that’s a low bar.