IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Good news everyone, I've hit the 1000 Light soft cap!

What's the game now then? I've still got shadow keep to play but I guess that doesn't get me better stuff? Is it just doing all the weird gold star weekly stuff/bounties to keep going? It seems like the dungeon/ a lot of the cool new stuff is gated off for light level 1040 and above. 

Now you’ve hit 1000 you’ll require powerful rewards to continue raising your power level towards 1050. So all the weekly challenges denoted by gold stars on the Director screen and from vendors in the Tower, along with weekly rewards from the Season of Arrivals (if you have it) and random drops of prime engrams will be your source of those. Each rank up in the Crucible and Gambit will provide a powerful reward too. Once you’ve played through the Shadowkeep campaign (which isn’t that long) there’ll be a whole bunch of extra weekly powerful rewards accessible via the endgame in that also. When you add it all up there’s something like 25-30 powerful rewards available each week, so loads of opportunities to continue raising your power level by playing whatever you enjoy.

And yeah as you say the Prophecy dungeon is gated at around 1040. I’d see that as the main motivation for raising your power level as it’s superb and well worth experiencing.

Also recommend doing any exotic weapon quests that are available and having a crack at some raids if you haven’t yet. The Moments of Triumph event running from now until many of them are vaulted in September means that there’s a lot of people looking to run old raids on the LFG sites right now, so there’s never been a better time.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

Now you’ve hit 1000 you’ll require powerful rewards to continue raising your power level towards 1050. So all the weekly challenges denoted by gold stars on the Director screen and from vendors in the Tower, along with weekly rewards from the Season of Arrivals (if you have it) and random drops of prime engrams will be your source of those. Each rank up in the Crucible and Gambit will provide a powerful reward too. Once you’ve played through the Shadowkeep campaign (which isn’t that long) there’ll be a whole bunch of extra weekly powerful rewards accessible via the endgame in that also. When you add it all up there’s something like 25-30 powerful rewards available each week, so loads of opportunities to continue raising your power level by playing whatever you enjoy.

And yeah as you say the Prophecy dungeon is gated at around 1040. I’d see that as the main motivation for raising your power level as it’s superb and well worth experiencing.

Also recommend doing any exotic weapon quests that are available and having a crack at some raids if you haven’t yet. The Moments of Triumph event running from now until many of them are vaulted in September means that there’s a lot of people looking to run old raids on the LFG sites right now, so there’s never been a better time.

That's amazing, cheers. If you could get a job at Bungie and write things this clearly in the actual game that would be lovely!

26 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

That's amazing, cheers. If you could get a job at Bungie and write things this clearly in the actual game that would be lovely!

Ha, I’ve been playing it on and off since the first game released so it’s all second nature to me but I can only imagine how befuddling and confusing it all must be to someone fresh to it. The whole thing’s become a bit of an impenetrable monster and Bungie do a terrible job of explaining it all.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to activate Cross Save to bring my 656 Power PS4 character to Xbox and had a go on xCloud. While it’s pretty impressive how well it works, I’m completely lost. It just played a few cutscenes and chucked me in front of a Pyramid on IO to chase Aeris Morne or something. The first enemies you encouter (Taken?) One hit kill me, are immune to at least two of my weapons and the game tells me Power level 750 is recommended. :hmm:

I’ve not played since the base game, really. When all the expansions come to Game Pass in September, is there like a campaign for each expansion or anything to get me up to speed/boost my levelling?

There’s a lot of stuff that you’ll have do before it goes away forever in September. Best thing is to follow the ‘red war’ campaign if you can, then the other DLC campaigns in order. But the game is almost literally impenetrable for anyone without the use of google etc, for new players and old. 

How is the streaming? Using PC streaming when not on PS4 and it’s wild.

As someone who played through the main campaign back in the day but never picked up any of the big DLC (Forsaken? Shadowkeep?), will it be possible to play through any of these come the launch of Next Gen?

I'd be keen to dip my toe back into the water with the launch of new consoles and Beyond Light, but would really only be interested in following a campaign rather than going too deep into the meta stuff. Be interesting to see if Bungie make any concessions to new/lapsed players as like you said, the game is a web of systems and updates at the moment.

They are getting rid of 3 planet destinations but i don’t recall Forsaken or Shadowkeep going to those planets so maybe those campaigns will be intact, and likely going free to make up for losing Red War and the Warmind and Osiris focussed campaigns.

I got an entire 6-a-side football team to download new light in lockdown. After taking a week to do the 100gb download, they played for a bit, thought it was incredible, spanked by the graphics etc and then mostly all deleted it. For casuals, the amount of HD space it takes up versus wondering about getting squashed by high level baddies or meta geeks with much better guns in pvp or not knowing what to do (“CAN YOU SEE A BLUE DIAMOND? FOLLOW THE BLUE DIAMOND” “WHAT DOES FIRETEAM RESTRICTED MEAN?” “LOOK IN YOUR MENU! NOT THAT MENU!”) wasn’t worth it. 

42 minutes ago, Teeohbee said:

As someone who played through the main campaign back in the day but never picked up any of the big DLC (Forsaken? Shadowkeep?), will it be possible to play through any of these come the launch of Next Gen?

I'd be keen to dip my toe back into the water with the launch of new consoles and Beyond Light, but would really only be interested in following a campaign rather than going too deep into the meta stuff. Be interesting to see if Bungie make any concessions to new/lapsed players as like you said, the game is a web of systems and updates at the moment.

Both Forsaken and Shadowkeep will still be playable when next-gen launches. If you own Destiny 2 then the game and any expansions you own will get automatically upgraded to the PS5/Series X version free of charge, although several locations are being 'vaulted' and removed from the game.

The Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansion content won't be available for example, as their destinations (Mercury and Mars, respectively) are being vaulted along with Io, Titan and the Leviathan. The Tangled Shore and The Dreaming City locations from Forsaken are remaining though, as is the Moon from Shadowkeep. 

I'm playing through the DLC after stopping two years ago myself. You'll be swamped with bollocks but if you try to ignore it all and focus on the DLC campaign you'll be fine. I've got some fake cowboy with a magic bin I need to put purple things into distracting me from Forsaken right now.

7 hours ago, mikeyl said:

How is the streaming? Using PC streaming when not on PS4 and it’s wild.

I was impressed with xCloud, but playing it on a 5" phone screen is less than ideal. I really hope Apple stop being stupid and let them bring it to iPad.

Would love it if they brought it to Xbox as well - so you can stream games while they download.

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Would love it if they brought it to Xbox as well - so you can stream games while they download.

:blink:

Yo dawg, I heard you like Xbox, so I put some Xbox in your Xbox.

11 minutes ago, tnman said:

:blink:

Yo dawg, I heard you like Xbox, so I put some Xbox in your Xbox.

Wouldn’t you prefer being able to stream a game immediately, while you wait for it to download? Certainly beats seeing “Ready to Start!” only to be confronted with an “Installing Destiny 2” page for 4 hours.

I finally worked through the rest of the Ruinous Effigy stuff this week. I had mixed success hunting the Marionettes; depending on the time of day I could encounter one in a zone but there wouldn't be any other players to assist me :blush: - they are kind of do-able solo but I was still downed repeatedly... The void multikill step was pretty straightforward in comparison :P 

Anyway, it's done now. Something something haha beam cannon go brrrrr

On 30/07/2020 at 12:59, HarryBizzle said:

I managed to activate Cross Save to bring my 656 Power PS4 character to Xbox and had a go on xCloud. While it’s pretty impressive how well it works, I’m completely lost. It just played a few cutscenes and chucked me in front of a Pyramid on IO to chase Aeris Morne or something. The first enemies you encouter (Taken?) One hit kill me, are immune to at least two of my weapons and the game tells me Power level 750 is recommended. :hmm:

I’ve not played since the base game, really. When all the expansions come to Game Pass in September, is there like a campaign for each expansion or anything to get me up to speed/boost my levelling?

I'm pretty sure they boosted everyone's gear up to a base level of 750 some time back, so I'm not sure what's happened there! 

10 hours ago, Ghost Pirate 101 said:

I'm pretty sure they boosted everyone's gear up to a base level of 750 some time back, so I'm not sure what's happened there! 

Thanks. I don’t study have access to Shadowfall, except through xCloud, so that might be it. 

Will have another look for that yellow boost on the character select, too. 

13 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

@HarryBizzle - have you put something in each of your gear slots? I think this is your profile?

eyKTLnf.jpg

Your guardian should be equipped with three weapons, one ghost shell and five armour pieces. I'm wondering if the absence of a weapon is being counted as "0" in the averaging?

Ah, thank you. I checked and it seems to be that I didn’t have a power weapon equipped, for some reason. I didn’t notice it when I checked earlier. Now happily sitting at 751. 

Also - the initial loading time for this on Xbox is horrendous. It takes minutes just for the character select to come up. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Also - the initial loading time for this on Xbox is horrendous. It takes minutes just for the character select to come up. 

Same for PS4. The loading times have got progressively worse as the generation has gone on and the ancient console hardware creaks under the strain. I really hope they've addressed it for Beyond Light but it probably won't be until the PS5/Series X versions that it becomes bearable again.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

That'll be down to the creaky old hard drive tech.

When you get your next gen console of choice and load the game up, You Will Be Shocked, etc.

Spoiler

In a good way

• 2 weeks later...

I'm as far as the "Magnificent" solstice set for my Titan now. \o/ You can make pretty good progress if you try and cover multiple objectives at once, and there are a few kill-farming spots for the kill-farming objectives. Not sure if I'll bother to glow up though... :P Also I recently got the Hard Light catalyst - that weapon has been pretty useful in equipment-locked situations, so the added benefit of orbs is welcome.

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.