IGNORED

Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.

Uncle Mike

Gambit does feel better with the changes. The lack of a new map does dampen my enthusiasm though. I know it is non-trivial to make them but it has been a long time and no announced plans I've seen for more. Also they've not fixed the motes going beneath the map bugs, and if anything it was worse than ever in my recent games.

More positively though the change of the envoy placement made the boss phase much more interesting. The games were also much tighter and it didn't seem like people just gave up when behind (although that could just be new season interest).

The campaign seems excellent so far - I'm only up to about mission 5, but it feels like a reasonable challenge even on normal, and the variety and scope is really impressive. It's like a proper campaign in a real game you might buy in a shop. I've only done one of the new strikes, the only where you have to destroy the the nursery (or whatever it's called), and it looked beautiful but the enemy density seemed extremely low. They could probably do with dropping in a few more enemies, it felt like I was really having to compete with other players for kills.

The weapon crafting feels like mainly just a way of giving players another thing to do - look! Red-bordered weapons to rinse out for materials! - but that might just be because I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff to do, and haven't really gotten my head around the process.

14 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Miss your Recluse? Try one of these badboys the first time you get a drop with a damage perk.

Then try adding the Volatile Flow mod with Elemental Armaments and Font of Might. Unbelievably good.

destiny2_eSPvCm4lV0.thumb.png.35f7c36b572597d5277427e17b378bad.png

Seconded!

I had one drop with Elemental Capacitor which is normally a guff perk, but as having a Void subclass equipped gives a huge boost to stability and I'm running Void a lot of the time now thanks to the changes, it's an absolute beast.

In other news, Joe Blackburn has made noises on Twitter about possibly turning off some invisi-glaive stuff to protect the sanctity of the World First raid race.

And buffing the drop rates for Ascendant Alloy this week, as well as the Wellspring weapons next week. Which seem to be major sticking points for a lot of people, so that sounds helpful.

I got a Mythoclast on Sunday, finally! Yes. Haven't shot it yet, obvs.

23 minutes ago, tnman said:

In other news, Joe Blackburn has made noises on Twitter about possibly turning off some invisi-glaive stuff to protect the sanctity of the World First raid race.

Hopefully that's just the bug that makes you always invis and essentially unkillable as opposed to the general power of the suppressing glaive mod. It is still a bit OP but fuck me it's fun and we know Bungie can sometimes not like fun quite as much as we do.

I’m one of the few people that loved Gambit anyway but finally got around to playing with the changes and all positive. The only thing it needs now is some new maps. It also gave me the DMT Catalyst which I never managed to get from the Master Presage. 

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The gulf between difficulty on the missions is hilarious. Normal is ludicrously easy and Legendary is practically one shot to the tits death. Anyway, just want to get the story done so fuck it, onwards.

It is - I went through the legendary campaign on my Warlock solo, which was great fun. Tried the second run on my Hunter, which didn't go so well - so toned it down. Everyone knows how I feel about Hunters at this point, so no need for swears.

I feel like this is the best Destiny expansion Bungie have ever created alongside Taken King and Forsaken.

Also - Glaive. RaggoGlaive ❤️

On 01/03/2022 at 22:43, KartoffelKopf said:

Ah man, Bungie you’re killing me. Ascendant Alloy from Rahool appears to be bugged and I can’t pick up a new one, says my weekly limit is reached. Dafuq?!

Yeah I can’t get my Osteo catalyst :(

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

How do orbs of power drop now? Something about a mod?

There are a number of mods on your helmet which control getting orbs from weapons, dependent on the element you have equipped or the element of the armour. 

I'm not pro- the new orb changes necessarily (it seems clunky and bad to be required to switch both mods and armour elemental affinity - the second at non-trivial cost, although reduced - to retain orb generation every time you change guns) but what I am finding is that, especially with the new Void and the Stasis subclasses (speaking as a Titan), the changes to abilities are somewhat offsetting how often I need to reach for the Super. So I do have it up whenever I need it, which I guess is the main metric.

I end up just leaving the Kinetic mod in, which probably isn't the best (especially as all the Kinetic slot weapons actually seem to be Stasis.)

As a Void Titan at least, a well-placed grenade that turns everyone Volatile and Suppresses anyone left standing is pretty damn effective in the content I've been playing so far (PVE only, taking it through Legendary campaign and then everything that's not 1580 or more.) Same for the shield toss, I like the new Barricade with Overshield option also.

I'm led to believe Warlocks also feel good and Hunters weak, so hopefully our Hunter pals can get some improvements.

But it does completely gut the Masterwork system. Why would I ever touch that now? I get that people complained that Exotics without Catalysts had no ability for orbs, but it's such a weird way to "fix" it.

I'd have thought it made more sense, if they really thought something needed to be done, for it to be a weapon mod. Choosing between Major spec, say, and orbs seems a better decision? And would let you set your guns up as you want them, which would certainly suit the way I gear up for different content better.

All I really do to change up between different PVE content, really, is change up my Scav/Finder mods and change out the subclass Exotic armour piece. I'm not spending ages in their non-Loadout system building tons of different armour setups.

I reckon it needs another look.

Yeah my first reaction was Masterworks are now worthless. Why make it take up a mod slot?

The element affinity pisses me off no end so I just run the same armour for everything. I can't be fucked with 4 armour sets or switching shit around or uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh.

Ironically the only catalyst I wanted was Le Monarque and now it's got it it doesn't seem worth grinding out. Not sure what it does yet though.

43 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah my first reaction was Masterworks are now worthless. Why make it take up a mod slot?

The element affinity pisses me off no end so I just run the same armour for everything. I can't be fucked with 4 armour sets or switching shit around or uuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh.

Ironically the only catalyst I wanted was Le Monarque and now it's got it it doesn't seem worth grinding out. Not sure what it does yet though.

Unrelenting should make it really good for survivability given how potent the poison burst is, although It would have been nice if that had got a little size buff too.

Nightfalls are giving 1,000-odd rep points per completion this week when you're on a 5-streak, and this week's is pretty easy at the matchmade Hero level. Arbalest, unstoppable solar pulse (unstoppable glaive instead for invis Hunters), solar heavy. Only played a couple of hours and I'm ready to reset my rank - 10 more and I'll already have this season's vanguard ornament.

Aand my vault is immediately full again.

12 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm led to believe Warlocks also feel good and Hunters weak, so hopefully our Hunter pals can get some improvements.

Are we? I've been one-shotting yellow bars with Moebius Quiver... chuck on my exotic booties for one more twang of the bow and every time I have my super everything needs to look out.

1 hour ago, tnman said:

Are we? I've been one-shotting yellow bars with Moebius Quiver... chuck on my exotic booties for one more twang of the bow and every time I have my super everything needs to look out.

As I understand liads of abilities that have lots of incremental power were taken away and basically replaced with more ways to invis - as a raid/team support function is great, but led to complaints they’re now ‘weak’ in solo play.

All aspects aren’t out yet, and there’s many ways to make visible biuods. Just not as they were before and not as consistently strong across the board. 

Tbh any thread I’ve read about it comes out as two distinct groups salty whiners versus those that have adapted and are having great fun. 

Hunters are probably the best fun they’ve ever been. 

Going to zip through the campaign on Warlock next, expecting that to be equally as fun. 

Bungie have absolutely nailed this expansion. Every new bit of new content  is great. 

Crafting is the only bit of meh for me but sure that will all work itself out once I’m inevitably drowning in mats. 

Crafting needs a few more iterations before it's what it could be. I could almost be convinced Bungie releases this stuff half-assed or unbalanced on purpose, even walking similar QoL improvements made elsewhere in the game back on purpose so they can put them in later - case in point, switching back to an advanced perk you've used before requires you to spend the same end-game materials again.

We've literally just been through this with changing affinity of masterworked armour previously needing you to spend another golf ball (or 3) - now that it's just an upgrade module and 10,000 glimmer, that actually incentivises masterworking and improves buildcrafting so much. Not having masterworked any exotic armour before, this season I've masterworked multiple pieces while buildcrafting because this season's builds need a different set of affinities than last season's builds did (and DIM has gotten absolutely amazing here - you can now fully craft builds in it right down to class aspects and fragments, only needing to go in-game when stuff needs affinity changed or energy level upgraded).

I hope the end-game for weapon crafting will be:

• Grind weapon levels to unlock perks to buy
  • Spend the perk currencies to unlock perks to equip while reshaping
  • Spend the weapon reshaping currency to equip bought perks
  • More reasons to grind your weapon level higher (currently caps out at 30 levels for a memento shader)
    • Level ?40? You can now equip 2 perks in the first column and freely switch between them on your weapon
    • Level ?50? You can now equip 2 perks in the second column and freely switch between them on your weapon (yes, you just made your own equivalent of a timeline/seasonal weapon)

I think that ticks all the boxes for the "investment" stuff Bungie has been talking about, 50 levels is a hell of a grind (on anything but a glaive, lol), as will be all the materials you need to buy and equip perks, but you'll have well-earned that roll by the time you have it.

The biggest issue with crafting for me is that caps are so low (I'd be doing so many red weapons) and it costs to change perks everytime - which really limits out testing.

I presume they've done it as they don't want people going and changing perks inbetween each piece of content (which is fair concern) but there has to be a better way. 

Thanks to...I don't know who they are here MikeDracula and SuperNintendo for taking me through the Avaraice dungeon. Even if it was an hour of me dying to instant kill traps while they laughed :P That was proper good!

14 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Is there a version of Destiny 2 that comes with all the expansions?

On which platform?

There's this (presumably others platforms have similar)

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0002-CUSA06172_00-D2Y5LEGACYBDL001

but you'd also need to buy Witch Queen.

Also that's not the Forsaken Expansion - as the majority of it has been content vaulted, but the Forsaken Pack the smaller add on that lets you access the bits that are still there.

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Haunted. Solar refresh, more Leviathan.