Destiny 2: Season of the Seraph. More Rasputin, new Dungeon.

Uncle Mike

You can prep all you want for Crucible, its still a truly horrible experience in pretty much every way. I've enjoyed it in patches across Destiny's life but it really is at peak bullshit right now. Stasis coupled with broken weapons and a player base of pure sweatmongers, it's not a fun game mode. I went in to Control for the pinnacle last night and every single one of my supers was shut down by a stasis grenade or melee or another super, every time I tried to shoot someone with you know, a fucking GUN, I was stasised up my arse . It honestly feels like bullying.

Ironically, I've had a great time in Crucible when playing it recently, as the Stadia community is tiny and not very good. There seems to be this clan of Italian people who are on Control 24/7 - they seem to be there almost every time I play - and they're absolute shite, despite apparently playing it endlessly.

I loved playing Crucible in D1 and got pretty good at it (my KD e-dick was around 1.7 or so) but D2 Crucible has been shite from the get-go.

First of all it was the woefully misguided move to 4v4 in an attempt to position it as a potential e-sport, which encouraged a sweaty Trials-style approach. Then they realised their mistake and switched it back to 6v6 but the D2 maps were designed for 8 players not 12 and that’s a fundamental problem that can’t be fixed. 

Couple that with some of the most insufferable metas that I’ve experienced in a multiplayer shooter (the latest of which is stasis that is simply not fun to play against in any way, shape or form) an ever-growing power fantasy that is brilliant in PvE but means a tornado of devastation being hurled your way at any moment in PvP and a Crucible playerbase that is absolutely infested with sweatlords and you have a recipe for disaster.

The endless nerfs to abilities that are almost always based on their tendency to be OP in the Crucible illustrate to me that despite their valiant efforts Bungie have never been able to achieve a satisfactory equilibrium between the two pillars of rampaging power-fantasy PvE and ability-led frantic PvP in a looter-shooter that Destiny attempts in a way that no other game does.

I love multiplayer shooters but get my kicks in that arena from games that are dedicated to PvP from the ground up. Haven’t enjoyed Destiny PvP for years now and only ever go in the Crucible these days if a quest or catalyst demands it.

Thw 4v4 thing was fucking baffling. It strikes me as more an Activision decision than a Bungie one with the eSports bullshit. Maybe.

I did Iron Banner last time and got my Pinnacle gear without too much grief but I genuinely believe they nerfed the amount needed for each quest.

It was a real surprise how little enjoyment I found in it, because I’ve been loving PVE in almost every way the past few weeks. 

I’d always assumed that all stats were flattened in PvP, not just the light level. 

How’s Gambit? I really liked it as a concept when it came out, but have heard rumblings that it has issues now?

Gambits loads of fun, I even manage to get some kills when invading, where as I normally am crucified in Crucible (although following the if you can’t beat them join them mentality I have had some more success since I started rocking Stasis in there).

Oh and Mayhem is fun in a completely insane fashion, although the most fun I ever had in Crucible was laser tag weekend when they accidentally made Prometheus Lens an almost instant kill. I’d have loved that as a permanent mode!

20 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Gambits fucking ace and I won't hear a word against it. Now it's one round and they've nerfed the Primeval health it's rapid too. It's just a shame some people are fucking morons in it but that's online gaming for you.

Strong enough review for me, I’ll give it a whirl later to get my weekly gear before the reset!

5 hours ago, K said:

Ironically, I've had a great time in Crucible when playing it recently, as the Stadia community is tiny and not very good. There seems to be this clan of Italian people who are on Control 24/7 - they seem to be there almost every time I play - and they're absolute shite, despite apparently playing it endlessly.

I think they must have been the people who invited me to join their clan after I played my first few games and was feeling pleased when I managed to regularly hit 5th out of the team! :lol:

I'm on my own on this but stasis is not the biggest issue with pvp. I dont mind it all tbh as it does what I think it was designed to. It slows the game down and provides counters to the real problems that pvp has had for years. The big problem is hunters. Bungie have given them so many tools in terms of mobility and ways to disengage from a fight that other classes don't have. The only one that has anything comparable is top tree dawnblade and its still not close to what a hunter can have.

Improve pvp? Just fuck off hunters, its easy. 

The other main thing this season is the return of a hand cannon meta. Why ffs why? 

Getting stopped in your tracks with no effective way to remove yourself from being locked up is a fucking massive problem. The supers are whatever, I'd prefer Crucible without them, but stasis being a one shot way of stopping you in your tracks is utter, utter bullshit.

I don’t mind Statis when it’s in the equivalent of something that would still kill you if it was any other element. If I’m frozen and killed by a Stasis super, that’s fair enough - it’s a super. Then again it’s not like we have any other Stasis weapons to play with :hmm: 

For me its there as a counter to the high mobility, sliding shot gunner. I have it available every min or so let's say, the sliding shotgunner is there every fucking second :D. Where's the real problem?

Also they've nerfed the fuck out of the warlock melee. Break out is almost instantaneous . Titan charged stasis melee is a bit shit. Hunters have fucking throwing stars that bounce off walls, can insta kill and have a buffed recharged rate. Again, where's the real problem?

In trials you'll come up against 80% Hunters I reckon. In general crucible it must be 50%. PVP has never been good. I dont think stasis has made it worse but as above its compounded the real issue.

As pinhole said yesterday it was originally 4v4 and the maps reflect this but it was also a much slower pace and ability/super rate was also much slower. You could actually go a full game and not get to use your super. Hunters whined and bungie changed it.

Shhhh, everyone's just been taught that having 100 mobility makes you easy prey.

On the other hand, you don't really need 100 mobility when you have Warlock burst glides or Titan stasis slides - you'll still get around the map quicker than that low defence Hunter, this being punctuated in the latter case only by becoming quicker still when you proc your usually unkillbale roaming super that lasts about a minute. Mind, in the Warlock's case, if you do go top tree Dawnblade, which allows you to essentially become an orbiting weapons platform in your neutral game, this does mean you have to forsake that Arc super that you can turn on and off at will and shoots through walls.

I wouldn't look for any sort of balance in Destiny PvP - it'll never exist. Well, apart from that time right at the start of D2, when abilities meant almost nothing, a solo player couldn't really do anything outrageous or game-changing, and the slower TTK was such that it was all about team shooting. I.e. the worst period of Destiny PvP ever, the one that everyone almost without exception hated. Be careful what you wish for.

Funnily enough, I just had a crucible match against a constantly stasis-sliding shotgun-spamming Titan who occasionally stood up every time he got his unkillable roaming super just to bounce around the map for a minute like an iceberg on springs. Now you don't encounter that setup doesn't very often at all and in any case it felt very well-balanced, I can tell you!

UqC9GpwgvwxFwbFnci9TD8J_RWHv9tq64or6vd0w

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Right, I read that Reddit dickheads crucible post and got my 100/50 with Stasis, because if you can't beat 'em you may as well become a prick like them. Let's see how badly I do.

I still do badly and now I miss my grenade cooldown.

• Uncle Mike changed the title to Destiny 2: Season of the Seraph. More Rasputin, new Dungeon.